• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Files returns

357 posts in this topic

This topic made me want to start watching X-FILES again. I went to Netflix and before playing thought I should just get my Season 1 set. But for some reason I went ahead and took a look on Netflix.

I was shocked to see the Pilot in HD Widescreen (16.9). Even more shocking it did not look stretched or cropped. So I did some searching and found out that Carter had planned the filming of the show so that, while framed for standard 4.3, the extra frame areas were clear of things like cables, boom mics etc, so a wider aspect ratio could actually be used at a future date. And this is exactly what happened. The original masters were used and framed for 16.9 HD and the results are amazing.I checked Hulu and it, too, is showing the new format. I dropped my Amazon Prime account so not sure but I assume Amazon is following suit. The first 2 seasons can be a bit cropped top/bottom but there is actually more info on the sides. Seasons 3 and 4 changed a bit and allowed complete 16.9 with no cropping at all. Love seeing these in HD as opposed to the original SD.

This brings a whole new perspective to the earlier seasons.

I didn't know this and I will check them out. (thumbs u

CC - have you had a chance to peruse the new widescreen eps?

X-Files Reboot Gets a Viral Site, Releases First Minute of Series Premiere Online

FOX has launched a new viral site for The X-Files -- along with a one-minute video that doubles as a way to give new viewers everything they need to know about the series while also being the first scene of the reboot, which debuts on January 24.

Do You Still Believe?

:whee:

This topic made me want to start watching X-FILES again. I went to Netflix and before playing thought I should just get my Season 1 set. But for some reason I went ahead and took a look on Netflix.

I was shocked to see the Pilot in HD Widescreen (16.9). Even more shocking it did not look stretched or cropped. So I did some searching and found out that Carter had planned the filming of the show so that, while framed for standard 4.3, the extra frame areas were clear of things like cables, boom mics etc, so a wider aspect ratio could actually be used at a future date. And this is exactly what happened. The original masters were used and framed for 16.9 HD and the results are amazing.I checked Hulu and it, too, is showing the new format. I dropped my Amazon Prime account so not sure but I assume Amazon is following suit. The first 2 seasons can be a bit cropped top/bottom but there is actually more info on the sides. Seasons 3 and 4 changed a bit and allowed complete 16.9 with no cropping at all. Love seeing these in HD as opposed to the original SD.

This brings a whole new perspective to the earlier seasons.

I didn't know this and I will check them out. (thumbs u

CC - have you had a chance to peruse the new widescreen eps?

I still haven`t. I will over the weekend. I was caught up in the football playoffs this week.

:)

I don't even care what the critics say. I'm going to watch the out of this & love every second of it.

+ 1

This is the one show I loved from beginning to end. Even when Mulder disappeared for an extended period, and Agent Doggett (Robert Patrick) took over the male lead role.

And that included the spin-off show, The Lone Gunmen, and the parallel show Millennium.

:cloud9:

feared this would be the case. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-files-tv-review-854844

still have hope for the Darin Morgan episode

The author of that review is a hatchet piece writing hack.

" Tim GoodmanVerified account

@BastardMachine

Tim Goodman is the Chief TV Critic for The Hollywood Reporter. Beyond reviews, he covers the industry + writes trend and analysis pieces, mostly about failure."

He hates and rips on everything, I wouldn't put much stock in his review

feared this would be the case. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-files-tv-review-854844

@BastardMachine

Tim Goodman is the Chief TV Critic for The Hollywood Reporter. Beyond reviews, he covers the industry + writes trend and analysis pieces, mostly about failure."

Good catch!

:applause:

@BastardMachine

utter BS. he wrote for the SF Chronicle for years and is considered one of the best in the business. he's probably the top WD fan in all of criticdom; i guess he's no hack when he's championing that one.

Edited by paperheart

I don't even care what the critics say. I'm going to watch the out of this & love every second of it.

+ 1

This is the one show I loved from beginning to end. Even when Mulder disappeared for an extended period, and Agent Doggett (Robert Patrick) took over the male lead role.

And that included the spin-off show, The Lone Gunmen, and the parallel show Millennium.

:cloud9:

+2

@BastardMachine

utter BS. he wrote for the SF Chronicle for years and is considered one of the best in the business. he's probably the top WD fan in all of criticdom; i guess he's no hack when he's championing that one.

Didn't realize I was dealing with a tim goodman fanboy.

Read a sampling of his reviews, he is negative way more than he is positive, much faster to point out bad things than good.

Some critics take that approach, and he's one of them.

Chris Carter has written a third X-Files movie

While speaking at the Television Critics Association press tour, X-Files creator Chris Carter revealed that before Fox approached him about bringing The X-Files back to television, he'd actually written a third X-Files film.

"I actually wrote a third movie, just because I was interested in the idea of where that might go. It was less on spec. I call it a study, if you will."

When The X-Files revival series was officially a go, Carter thought about re-purposing the -script for the new series but said that "I let my wife read the third movie, and she said 'I think not for television.'" The -script for this potential third film is still on the table, but Chris Carter seems like he'd rather keep The X-Files on television for now. Chris Carter said "I'm waiting for Fox to come back and ask for more, then we'll talk about it."

'You show that turd who's boss!'

:baiting:

He was just saying the one reviewer may be negative often. Not that your baby is ugly. Now how about...

Qf83mMF.png

:foryou: