• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Files returns

357 posts in this topic

If the second hour feels like a solid return to form, the third episode is superlative. Written and directed by Darin Morgan—the writer most responsible for discovering The X-Files’ sharply humorous tack—“Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Man” is an instant classic. (worship)

Edited by paperheart

‘The X-Files’ Premiere Review: The Truth Is Worth Revisiting

Let’s begin with what’s good about the premiere: Mulder and Scully themselves. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are able to transition into their old roles with ease here, bouncing off one another and retaining that chemistry that made the show such a hit to begin with. While the show presents them as no longer being a couple, I think this take actually works, as the duo were never exactly the type you saw having a happy ending in any sense.

Unfortunately, I think The X-Files suffers from a similar problem as the recent Heroes Reborn series that NBC brought back. While it does try its best to get new viewers up to speed with a five minute monologue by Agent Mulder at the start, about what happened in the previous series and what has happened since then, it’s tough to really feel out some of the emotional beats without having a vested interest in what did happen before. It’s the continuation of a nine-season series after a fifteen-year absence (not taking into account the movies of course), so I feel that it may be a tad difficult for some newcomers to really dig their teeth into this six-episode outing.

But for long-time fans, I can tell you that the overall force of the main plotline is standard X-Files fare. The showrunners stated at New York Comic Con that a few episodes will cover the overall mythology/main plot of the series, while the others will focus on episodic adventures for Mulder and Scully to tackle during their return. I believe it has been hinted at that the notorious cannibalistic family may be making a return, which for me was by far the most disturbing episode of the original series. Twists and turns run amuck in the opening episode, but it never seems overwhelming, and is simple enough to follow without feeling lost, though again as I mentioned above, I think it could have worked a bit more in trying to keep new viewers up to speed.

Rating: 4 stars (Very good — Damn fine television)

I never really cared much for the original series. Just watched the first episode now and it was very good. I will definitely turn in tomorrow.

How many times does Mulder have to discover that there are elements in the government trying to use alien invasion as a means to their own end? What about the alien he encountered at Arecibo? What about all the little grey guys in that vault in the mountain with all the DNA samples from abductees he and Scully found? Hell, what about the damn bees turning people into alien hybrids or some ? And the frickin' black oil that got Krycek, man...the BLACK OIL! The UFO in Africa with the complete religious texts inscribed on it and the magic flying powers?!? I mean there's just too much alien-based cannon they're apparently forgetting about...how can they possibly know that its ONLY the government and not a joint ET/Gov. venture like the whole vaccine for the higher-ups preventing them from becoming alien hybrids? Just a real mess...this is gonna be bad, I'm afraid....

Edited by Mystafo

The X-Files Premiere Pulls In Strong Ratings

FOX's revival of The X-Files started strong last night, following the NFC Championship Game with a time-shifted episode that aired live at 10:24 p.m. ET/7:24 p.m. PT.

The episode scored a 5.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic, more than double the 2.0 that Heroes Reborn scored when it brought back another long-gone sci-fi favorite earlier this TV season on NBC.

Just finished watching Ep1

Wow that was bad (IMHO). I think we'll see a big drop off in the next episodes ratings.

-script was convoluted, the dialogue was poor and cliched. It read like fan-fic.

The acting was dialed in. I think I saw Anderson roll her eyes on camera at one point. And Duchovny was checking his bank account at one point on his phone to make sure his direct deposit had cleared.

I really wanna like the show. I watched it all thru college and beyond and was super hooked, but this is a horrid revisit to something that was better long ago.

I'm hoping the stand along, non-mythos episodes are better.

Just finished watching Ep1

Wow that was bad (IMHO). I think we'll see a big drop off in the next episodes ratings.

-script was convoluted, the dialogue was poor and cliched. It read like fan-fic.

The acting was dialed in. I think I saw Anderson roll her eyes on camera at one point. And Duchovny was checking his bank account at one point on his phone to make sure his direct deposit had cleared.

I really wanna like the show. I watched it all thru college and beyond and was super hooked, but this is a horrid revisit to something that was better long ago.

I'm hoping the stand along, non-mythos episodes are better.

after seeing one terrible review after another on the first episode, i couldn't bring myself to watch. did fire up the DVR for episode 2 and 3.

Amazing how differently people are seeing this.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

.... I enjoyed both so far..... hey,

..... the truth is out there. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u