• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

New Mutants is going to be delayed, as there was a concern how much International Box Office release overlap would occur between Deadpool 2 and this movie. But there is also talk of test screenings leading to a desire to make the movie even scarier, and allowing for time to do this.

'The New Mutants' Release Date Pushed Back to 2019

Fox's slate of upcoming X-Men movies has just undergone quite a bit of change, and it looks like The New Mutants is among them.

The Hollywood Reporter just revealed that the horror-inspired X-Men film will now get a significantly later release date, jumping from April 13th, 2018 to February 22nd, 2019.

According to the report, this was partially influenced by the film's potential international market, as it would have overlapped in some countries with the release of Deadpool 2.

Deadpool 2 also received a new release date, moving up two weeks from June 1st to May 18th. And the Gambit solo movie - which was just met with yet another director exit this morning - has been pushed from February 14th, 2019 to June 7th, 2019.

Here's Why 'The New Mutants' Is Rumored to Have Been Delayed

The change for The New Mutants is by far the most shocking, as the film has now been delayed ten months, from April 13th, 2018, to February 22nd, 2019. The initial report cited the film's international market - especially against fellow X-Men film Deadpool 2 - for the delay. But another rumored reason has now come to light.

According to The Tracking Board's Jeff Sneider, the New Mutants move was also inspired by test screenings for the film, which have caused Fox to re-evalute just how much the film relies on horror elements.

"Word on the street is that after the film tested well but not great," Sneider writes, "the studio decided to actually embrace the film’s horror elements and beef up the scares in the wake of the success of It and Get Out last year."

This was echoed by The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez, whose sources also cited Fox's desire to make the film scarier.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

New Mutants is going to be delayed, as there was a concern how much International Box Office release overlap would occur between Deadpool 2 and this movie. But there is also talk of test screenings leading to a desire to make the movie even scarier, and allowing for time to do this.

'The New Mutants' Release Date Pushed Back to 2019

Here's Why 'The New Mutants' Is Rumored to Have Been Delayed

But it makes me very worried about the film's future.  Movies that get very delayed and publicly so, often end up poor performers.

Not sure I like this from a sales stand point but it does give more time for New Mutants to be in the limelight especially if they spruce up the movie a bit and make it better

THE NEW MUTANTS Star Maisie Williams Believes That The X-MEN Spin-Off Being Delayed Was For The Best

157902.jpg

During an interview with Collider, Game of Thrones alum Maisie Williams (Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane) explained why she believes the film will ultimately benefit from the extra post-production time:

“We finished in September and they were going to release in April and there’s — it’s a mutant film, there’s a lot of effects. There’s a lot of work that goes into the movie. They really make the movie after we finish shooting, so there was always kind of a bit nervous, really. I know how long this sort of thing takes on Game of Thrones and I know the work that they want to put in is — it’s a huge job. Actually, I think it’s for the better. I think it’s good that we’ve got more time. We’re not so strapped and up against it.”

As for the rumor that one of the reasons for the push-back was to amplify the horror elements, Williams seems to think the film was more than scary enough as it was!

“Well, it was always bizarre to me when we were shooting — when were shooting it was frightening and the scenes that we were doing were supposed to be like PG-13. I was always like are we going to get away with this? It was really scary. I feel like all of the suspense and horror has always been there, it’s just nice to have a little bit more leeway in the editing and make it as scary as it deserves to be.”

I loved the trailer and after Deadpool, Logan and Legion I was really looking forward to another non-traditional mutant effort from Fox. I trust that they know what they're doing and upping the ante a bit more and I'm fine with waiting another year

10 months, tho?

For a movie that was all-but in-the-can, this is a bad bad sign...

I can count the number of films that were significantly delayed and ended up being _good_ on one hand.

Titanic (6 months) and Cabin in the Woods (2 years).

That's pretty much it.

It seems to happen more frequently than folks realize.

The Bourne Identity

Filmed: October 2000

Released: June 2002

Margaret

Filmed: September 2005

Released: September 2011

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Filmed: February 1987

Released: February 1989

Fanboys

Filmed: Summer 2007

Released: Early 2009

The 13th Warrior

Filmed: Summer of 1997

Released: Summer 1999

I love 'The 13th Warrior'. Unfortunately, it was released at a packed period.

NEW MUTANTS Reshoots Will Add Another Character

The Hollywood Reporter has provided a very interesting update about what's happening with Fox's Marvel movies and the near future is now looking a lot clearer. For starters, Gambit is still looking for a director and the latest draft of the screenplay is expected to be delivered to the studio next month. It's already been greenlit and that means the studio has budgeted it, so the movie isn't dead quite yet.

X-Force meanwhile is set to begin shooting in October and the plan is still for Drew Goddard to take the helm of the spinoff after penning the screenplay. Both Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin will star.

Here's where things get really interesting, though; the additional photography taking place this summer for Josh Boone's The New Mutants (which has a new release date of February 22nd, 2019) will be inserting a new character! It's not clear whether that's another young mutant, a villain, or even a high profile cameo but start speculating now. 

Longshot?

Shatterstar?

Warlock?

On 2/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Gatsby77 said:

10 months, tho?

For a movie that was all-but in-the-can, this is a bad bad sign...

I can count the number of films that were significantly delayed and ended up being _good_ on one hand.

Titanic (6 months) and Cabin in the Woods (2 years).

That's pretty much it.

re-shoots to add a character after the movie was already in the can; smells like trouble.  Can't Disney put a muzzle on Fox yet?

15 hours ago, paperheart said:

re-shoots to add a character after the movie was already in the can; smells like trouble.  Can't Disney put a muzzle on Fox yet?

Only if they actually close the acquisition. Until then, it is business as usual. 

43 minutes ago, kimik said:

Only if they actually close the acquisition. Until then, it is business as usual. 

^^

And business-as-usual looks to be decent when it comes to Deadpool 2, The New Mutants and the beginnings of X-Force. Hard to tell yet with Dark Phoenix, though I like the rumors they are bringing Skrulls out to play.

Why New Mutants’ Reshoots Could Be Adding Warlock

Warlock-and-New-Mutants.jpg?q=50&w=486&h

The nature of these reshoots is shrouded in mystery. It was initially suggested that the film wasn’t “scary enough,” (something Maisie Williams denied), with them later linked to the complexity of the film’s CGI, with even the stripped back nature of New Mutants needing X-Men level visual effects. However, the most recent reports have suggested extensive additional photography will be conducted over the summer to add another character to New Mutants.

Details are scarce on which mutant will be included. Some have suggested Boone will add a central X-Men character as another “hook,” perhaps even a version of Charles Xavier himself, although that seems unlikely given the disconnected nature of the franchise. Indeed, there’s a stronger possibility straight out of the team’s comic book roster: Warlock.

As for what the movie’s plot may be, that’s a lot more mysterious than may be assumed. Boone has made no secret of the fact that he’s inspired by the classic Claremont and Sienkiewicz run and will incorporate the “Demon Bear Saga”, although that’s not the full picture; in an interview with IGN, the director insisted the Demon Bear is not the “primary antagonist.” All he would confirm was that “there’s stuff you’ll never see in the trailers that are big parts of the movie.” Taking in the overarching narrative of the Claremont and Sienkiewicz run, it’s possible that the film will introduce the Technarch; both Warlock and his father Magus were introduced in the “Demon Bear Saga”, so connect, and their powersets – including the vampiric stealing of the “lifeglow” – would be ideally suited to a horror film. If that’s true, then working Warlock in would be logical.

It’s also worth noting that Warlock could serve another purpose. It’s true that New Mutants is intended to be a superhero horror, but the X-Men movies have always been more science-fiction. The alien being would add another dimension to the movie, blending the sci-fi and the horror. His presence fits perfectly with the overarching tone and style of the X-Men franchise, especially given this year’s X-Men: Dark Phoenix is expected to add Skrulls into the mix.

'New Mutants' Star "Disappointed" By Film's Delay

new-mutants-movie-magik-1063229-640x320.

Major studio films don't often have their release dates changed after a trailer has debuted, yet Fox's The New Mutants not only had its release date pushed back, but had it pushed back by almost a full year. One of the film's stars, Anya Taylor-Joy, recently detailed her disappointment of the film's lengthy delay.

“Well, the only thing that I could say, without being in trouble, is that it being delayed is disappointing, frustrating in fact, because we were all very excited for it to be released on April 13th, and I don’t mean just disappointing for me, but I’m sure there are a lot of other fans that were looking forward to seeing it," the actress shared with The Playlist.

The film was slated to be more of a horror film within the world of the X-Men, making its Friday, April 13th release date a delight to horror fans.

The actress might be disappointed, but is confident that the film will be all the better for it and prove to be worth the wait.

"I do think that there is a great responsibility to make sure the movie is done right and that we deliver the fans something that they can all feel happy about and excited about," Taylor-Joy confessed. "So, I don’t think it being delayed is a bad thing because it’s definitely more important to make sure that we get it right than rushing to make a date. So, hopefully, all of these reshoots and adding of the new character that will give the fans an altogether satisfactory, wonderful product.”

Dark Phoenix has been pushed back from its November 2 release date to February 14, 2019. The New Mutants — which already shifted from its planned April 13, 2018 bow to February 22, 2019 — will now open August 2, 2019.

Freddy Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, starring Rami Malek as the iconic singer, takes Phoenix’s November 2 release date. Fox tapped Dexter Fletcher to take over the project after the studio fired longtime X-Men franchise director and producer Bryan Singer in December.