• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

I think Flash 106 is a book to watch. First Gorilla Grodd and Pied Piper.

Flash 106 has ALWAYS been difficult. I expect that it will be much moreso with the TV show. Census numbers bear this out. 6 copies above 8.5. 1 9.2, and none higher.

Great cover too. Flash 110 also had an awesome cover. The 10-cent SA Flash run is one of my favorites. Great Infantino art and several Rogue first appearances.

Jeez guys i didn't think this discussion would be this confusing. So the top 10 keys that shape the SA of comics. Also factor in the value. Im looking to see if the list has changed due to us now being in the speculator age with all the cinematic releases.

Welcome to the boards!

:D

PS. FF #45 was, for 46-47 years, not much of anything.

In the relatively short history of comic book fandom, there are almost no books that went from "not much of anything" to "the next Adventure Comics #247 (or whatever suits the fancy)" mega-key.

Anything can happen, sure....but the book spent its first 46-47 years of life as not much of anything. There's much, much more likelihood for it going back to not much of anything, rather than "the new X-Men #1."

It's not rare. As Dr Banner said, it's a 1965 Marvel, which aren't rare in any grade, up and down the scale. I would be very wary of buying in this market.

Don't forget....the value of high grade books plummeting in value over the last five years is due almost exclusively to the phenomenon of the census, not lack of demand.

The prices paid for these books in 2007 and 2008 were never what they were really worth. It was census rarity that drove these prices.

1. AF15

2. SC4

3. IH1

4. BB28

5. FF1

6. AV1

7. SC22

8. TOS39

9. JIM 83

10. X-Men1

I think yours has been the most accurate thus far (except switch Hulk 1 and SC 4). (thumbs u

-J.

I can go either way. Personally 2-4 are my favorite books and all rapidly growing!

:)

Don't forget....the value of high grade books plummeting in value over the last five years is due almost exclusively to the phenomenon of the census, not lack of demand.

Yes. It's interesting though, and it does make one wonder if the numbers are the only factor. (we could name some controversial ones, I'm quite sure.)

And of course -- price spreads won't (can't. well, almost can't.) keep narrowing forever, but for how long is a big question. If the consensus wisdom of those recent "how many copies of these keys exist" threads is even the tiniest bit right, we won't have a feel for the "maturation" of the census for a long, long, long time.

So, that too is interesting.

Yes. It's interesting though, and it does make one wonder if the numbers are the only factor. (we could name some controversial ones, I'm quite sure.)

It's not absolute, and there are certainly other factors at play. The mortgage meltdown, the movie mania, the general ebb and flow of interest...but the overwhelming reason for the dramatic "downturn" in ultra high grade Silver and Bronze since 2007 is a function of census numbers.

Hulk #181 in 9.8 was never worth $25,000.

X-Men #94 in 9.8 was never worth $25,000

Avengers #4 9.6 was never worth $70,000

Green Lantern #76 9.6 was never worth $30,000.

All of those prices were entirely the result of census numbers. It's hard to get past "well....I have the money, and there may not be another example of this. If I wait, I may not get the opportunity again", even when history overwhelmingly says otherwise.

Those people didn't make bad purchases...after all, there was the very real risk that more copies really wouldn't show up.

But they did, and the census expanded, and prices dropped.

And of course -- price spreads won't (can't. well, almost can't.) keep narrowing forever, but for how long is a big question. If the consensus wisdom of those recent "how many copies of these keys exist" threads is even the tiniest bit right, we won't have a feel for the "maturation" of the census for a long, long, long time.

So, that too is interesting.

Yes. I've gone into this elsewhere on the boards, but this very thing happened in coins in the late 80's. It all came crashing down in 1990.

http://www.nationalsilverdollarroundtable.org/?p=920

It's almost an exact replica of what happened there, only it was much more drawn out because of the lack of real competition.

I only wish I had all the uber high grade SA and Bronze books to sell in 2007-2009. I did ok, but I'm sure some people were made millionaires selling their Daredevil #168 9.8s for $3,000.

We are only, 15+ years in, starting to see the census shape up to its potential as an indicator of what exists, in what levels of preservation.

Hulk #181 in 9.8 was never worth $25,000.

X-Men #94 in 9.8 was never worth $25,000

Avengers #4 9.6 was never worth $70,000

Green Lantern #76 9.6 was never worth $30,000.

All of those prices were entirely the result of census numbers. It's hard to get past "well....I have the money, and there may not be another example of this. If I wait, I may not get the opportunity again", even when history overwhelmingly says otherwise.

What about the Hulk 181 9.9 that sold on CL for over 100K back in the early 2000's?

I would never spend or even trade for, any of the books above in those grades, even if they were all 10.0's.

Other than the GL 76, Its all common. I'd be happy with 9.0-9.4.

Everyone says every first appearance of a SA character who hasn't already exploded is "undervalued."

When does the madness stop?

lol

Actually, everyone doesn't say every first appearance. I (one person) said one. So, to answer your question, that one is where the madness stopped. I think Zatanna's first appearance is still undervalued. End of madness.

Everyone says every first appearance of a SA character who hasn't already exploded is "undervalued."

When does the madness stop?

lol

Actually, everyone doesn't say every first appearance. I (one person) said one. So, to answer your question, that one is where the madness stopped. I think Zatanna's first appearance is still undervalued. End of madness.

A broker squeezed 7k out of someone for a 9.6 around the same time Dr. Strange took off. How undervalued can it be?

1. AF 15

2. Hulk 1

3. Showcase 4

4. FF 1

5. JIM 83

6. TOS 39

7. ASM 1

8. B&B 28

9. X-Men 1

10. Avengers 1

...but really it's this!

1. FF 1

2. AF 15

3. ASM 1

4. Hulk 1

5. Show 4

6. JIM 83

7. X-Men 1

8. TOS 39

9. FF 5

10. TTA 27

This is my list..."Top 10 would like to own personally" list.

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Hulk #1

3. Tales of Suspense #39

4. Journey Into Mystery #83

5. Fantastic Four #1

6. Strange Tales #110

7. X-Men 1

8. Brave & the Bold #28

9. Daredevil #1

10. Tales to Astonish #35

Top 10 Value-wise...?

1. Amazing Fantasy #15