• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Steve, you are a *spoon*.

I know some Big Names in the hobby who would certainly agree with you there!

No, he's *28 piece formal place setting of gold-plated sterling*

What about the optional tea service accessories?

Centaur fever strikes again...

STEVE

Steve, you are a *spoon*.

I know some Big Names in the hobby who would certainly agree with you there!

No, he's *28 piece formal place setting of gold-plated sterling*

What about the optional tea service accessories?

Centaur fever strikes again...

STEVE

Stevie made a sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

Here's a real obscure Centaur, one that was on my list of "If I never finish the complete run, it might be because of this book" super-tough Centaurs. Big-time thanks to Stephen Fishler for locating this one for me.

comicspagesvol.jpg

I really like how the artwork goes all the way up to the top edge of the book, through the logo. All the other books in this run (which is continued from Funny Picture Stories, as it says on the cover) have opaque logos that obscure the artwork.

Here's a real obscure Centaur, one that was on my list of "If I never finish the complete run, it might be because of this book" super-tough Centaurs. Big-time thanks to Stephen Fishler for locating this one for me.

comicspagesvol.jpg

I really like how the artwork goes all the way up to the top edge of the book, through the logo. All the other books in this run (which is continued from Funny Picture Stories, as it says on the cover) have opaque logos that obscure the artwork.

Just an absolutely stunning book!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

comicspagesvol.jpg

Just an absolutely stunning book!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was the cover done with pastels or crayon? It is definitely not like all the other books from 1938!

comicspagesvol.jpg

CM;

Definitely agree with both Bill and Adam that this is an extremely unique cover in terms of the colours. thumbsup2.gif

Where does this book sit on your "Windex" scarcity rating and how does it compare with the other two Comic Pages? Does your scarcity ratings indicate that this Funny Picture Stories run is scarcer than the Funny Pages run since it is basically an all-humour run without any super heroes which certainly has a dampening effect on the demand side of the equation?

I guess there's no chance that you are planning to sell your copy is there? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

comicspagesvol.jpg

That is a fantastic looking cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was the cover done with pastels or crayon? It is definitely not like all the other books from 1938!

I don't know, but I agree it's sure got a unique look. I'm hoping Ryan or someone else experienced in art will be able to give some insight into it.

I don't know, but I agree it's sure got a unique look. I'm hoping Ryan or someone else experienced in art will be able to give some insight into it.

Another gem, CentaurMan!! I don't even recall that cover from Gerber. The layout is very unique for Centaur ... a nice variation.

In terms of the coloring technique, I'm really not sure... at first glance to me, it almost looks like it was done with watercolor. The reason I say that is the brush stroke-type look in the blanket. It could be that combined with colored pencil (some of the texture in the cover looks like colored pencil). It is a freak amongst comic covers, regardless!! I love it. Sorry I can't be more definite.

Are the Man o' War covers colored with that same look? I recall them being "textured", and not the standard flat color within the black lines.

CM, feel free to PM me a list of your "wanted" books ... I can keep my eyes open.

I have no clue what it is worth but this seems cheap? I expect it should get BIN'd fairly quickly.

It guides for $140 VG, so its priced at almost double (as are other comics from this dealer)... BUT, it is a desirable issue, with a great cover. I agree with him, I think its undervalued.

On the other hand, this likes like a pretty beat up VG... solid though.

Actually, that's part of the fun of collecting Centaurs. Market value of that book, loosely defined, is such that I'm guessing the BIN may not get popped. If you're patient you can pick up quite a few of these books for under $200 in VG condition.

This one is one of the more common KDF's (although it's certainly scarce overall, scoring a 17 on my scale), but the cover is excellent in a quirky way, and I don't think someone would go wrong picking up the book for this price. If this book were on the cover of Gerber instead of the #20, I bet those two would sell for much closer to the same price.

Actually, that's part of the fun of collecting Centaurs. Market value of that book, loosely defined, is such that I'm guessing the BIN may not get popped. If you're patient you can pick up quite a few of these books for under $200 in VG condition.

This one is one of the more common KDF's (although it's certainly scarce overall, scoring a 17 on my scale), but the cover is excellent in a quirky way, and I don't think someone would go wrong picking up the book for this price. If this book were on the cover of Gerber instead of the #20, I bet those two would sell for much closer to the same price.

Very true ... though not the same caliber of art as KDF 20, it is still strong, odd, and has the classic EYE motif!! I'd hit the button, but I already own one.

Am just loving the Centaurs these days... stay tuned, I just got a fresh batch in this week!

Where does this book sit on your "Windex" scarcity rating and how does it compare with the other two Comic Pages? Does your scarcity ratings indicate that this Funny Picture Stories run is scarcer than the Funny Pages run since it is basically an all-humour run without any super heroes which certainly has a dampening effect on the demand side of the equation?

I'm not ignoring your scarcity questions, I just haven't indexed all the books yet, including Funny Picture Stories. I will say, however, that I think FPS is an easier run to complete than Funny Pages, and I don't think it's that close. I've got 20 of the 21 issues of FPS, while I only have 31 of the 37 issues of Funny Pages. Also, some of the Funny Pages I've been picked were extremely tough to find, while none of the FPS have yet struck me as requiring ridiculous efforts to acquire (although I may have just gotten lucky).

The toughest long Centaur runs in my mind, however, are the nondescript Star Comics and Star Ranger Comics. I only have 19 of the 35 combined issues, and I look for these things everywhere with no success.

The toughest short Centaur runs are Keen Komics, Comic Pages, Cowboy Comics, Little Giant Comics, and Little Giant Detective Funnies. All killers.

OK, the last two days were banner days for Centaurs! Three arrived:

First, AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/11, a great robot cover by Frank Thomas!! And inside, a fantastic FANTOM story by Gustavson featuring giant robots! It is top notch (grades a VF w/ slight glue on cover):

1600069-AMF2-11_POST.jpg

1600069-AMF2-11_POST.jpg.444bf212216f7c68ec06475b206063dd.jpg

Edited by RyanH

And lastly (this one is for Ciorac, for posting his #1 issue that made me go on a mad hunt), a DETECTIVE EYE #2, with a great Frank Thomas (there it is) diving cover. Three EYE SEES stories in this issue (at least one of which is a reprint)... I have to say I'm very happy with this one. Bit of dried something-or-other on the cover, but overall, very nice. Just love the underwater cover...

Got my reading cut out for me for a while!

1600079-DETEYE2_POST.jpg

1600079-DETEYE2_POST.jpg.1997b35c1a91cf771cb2ce5c6c3ffadd.jpg

Edited by RyanH

OK, the last two days were banner days for Centaurs! Three arrived:

First, AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/11, a great robot cover by Frank Thomas!! And inside, a fantastic FANTOM story by Gustavson featuring giant robots! It is top notch (grades a VF w/ slight glue on cover):

1600069-AMF2-11_POST.jpg

Awesome cover. Just read issue #7 last night for the firts time and I'm hooked, must get more copies of these.