• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Here's the Church copy to the very first issue of KDF. Thanks to Stephen for brokering this deal between myself and the owner of these early KDF's. I've now got Church copies of the first 3 issues plus 3 later issues. It's funny, because the earliest Church KDF's are in immaculate condition, while the later ones are mid-grade double-slash 2nd hand copies.

keendetective1church.jpg

Congratulations Win on aquiring these sweet Centaur Church books. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hey Win,

I'm going through my copy of the Mile High Comics catalog which listed the Church books. You are correct; the issues in the middle of the run are lower grades than the beginning & end (with a few exceptions). The catalog is in very small print & difficult to read, but here are the original asking prices & grades:

Vol 1, 8 nm...........$ 45

9 nm...........$ 45

10 nm+.........$ 50

11 nm+.........$ 50

Vol 2, 1 fine..........$ 25

2 vg............$ 16

3 nm...........$ 35

4 fine..........$ 24

5 fine..........$ 24

6 fine..........$ 24

7 fine..........$ 30

8 vg............$ 16

9 fine..........$ 24

10 vg............$ 16

11 nm..........$ 35

12 fine..........$ 24

Vol 3, 1 fine.........$ 24

2 fine..........$ 24

5 nm..........$ 35

I sure hope you didn't pay too much more than this....... poke2.gif

How do the Mile High catalog grades match up, in your hummble opinion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Apparently, Chuck once knew how to grade books, or so it seems. confused-smiley-013.gif

I suppose it helped to actually have high-grade books at hand at the time...... popcorn.gif

How do the Mile High catalog grades match up, in your hummble opinion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Apparently, Chuck once knew how to grade books, or so it seems. confused-smiley-013.gif

I suppose it helped to actually have high-grade books at hand at the time...... popcorn.gif

If you've got those 3 KDF books in your hand, you've pretty much got to call them NM or NM+. At that point, the VF books you used to call NM kind of have to drop in assigned grade by default. And then the FN books you called VF have to drop too. Etc, etc, etc.

Do you have a copy of the original Mile High catalog? If not, PM me your mailing address and I'll photocopy one for you. thumbsup2.gif

I have to warn you though, the print is very small & you'll need a magnifying glass.....even then it's sometimes a krap-shoot. sorry.gif

Do you have a copy of the original Mile High catalog? If not, PM me your mailing address and I'll photocopy one for you. thumbsup2.gif

I have to warn you though, the print is very small & you'll need a magnifying glass.....even then it's sometimes a krap-shoot. sorry.gif

I have a copy and mine is easy to read? Honest, just great font, not too large or too small, you must have a copy of a copy, etc...Time for some new glasses?

I paid 10.00 for mine years ago, Mike Naiman was selling them at the time.

I have a copy and mine is easy to read? Honest, just great font, not too large or too small, you must have a copy of a copy, etc...Time for some new glasses?

What;s the listed grade for Fight 32, just wondering. Because then, when you tell me, I can post it again! yay.gif

Not to derail the thread, but here's a recent pick-up. Keen Detective Funnies #10 (3rd issue), Church copy. This was on my short list of "Could end up being the last Centaur I have to find" Centaurs, so I'm thrilled to cross it off.

keendetective3.jpg

All I can say it is amazing how I was able to hoard a pretty common issue of KDE in order to make it look scarce. Let the floodgates open.

S

Hey Win,

I'm going through my copy of the Mile High Comics catalog which listed the Church books. You are correct; the issues in the middle of the run are lower grades than the beginning & end (with a few exceptions). The catalog is in very small print & difficult to read, but here are the original asking prices & grades:

Vol 1, 8 nm...........$ 45

9 nm...........$ 45

10 nm+.........$ 50

11 nm+.........$ 50

Vol 2, 1 fine..........$ 25

2 vg............$ 16

3 nm...........$ 35

4 fine..........$ 24

5 fine..........$ 24

6 fine..........$ 24

7 fine..........$ 30

8 vg............$ 16

9 fine..........$ 24

10 vg............$ 16

11 nm..........$ 35

12 fine..........$ 24

Vol 3, 1 fine.........$ 24

2 fine..........$ 24

5 nm..........$ 35

I sure hope you didn't pay too much more than this....... poke2.gif

Actually, I didn't pay the listed prices becuause I got a quantity discount.

Steve

What;s the listed grade for Fight 32, just wondering. Because then, when you tell me, I can post it again! yay.gif

Not listed in my catalogue, the Fights start at issue 44, The Actions at issue 22, that means they were sold ahead of time or let off this for sale list by CR(Big Chuck). cloud9.gif

fp26r.jpg

proud to post my second centaur purchase...choose this one for the clean bob wood cover, and the fact this it is the "first" centaur issue of this title, seemed like a nice one to get...going to work on picking up an amazing mystery funnies next...

rick