• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

hello all...

I logged on too late this afternoon, but I was going to PM them just to get it so that Ryan could have it (if he wanted, and if he didn't, I had just posted a hour earlier that my next Centaur would be a AMF)... when I read the post, there was no message under Steves, so I hit refresh before I was going to PM, and I saw that it was gone...I apologize Ryan, I feel I let you down (I was a minute to slow)...someone on the boards got it, do we know who?

rick

Hi Rick,

No need to feel like you let me down!! I appreciate the thought, and the fact you would have shelled out that kind of money so I could get the book. Fact is, I PM'd Stephen a few minutes too late ... literally, a few minutes.

I think it went to someone on the boards... I would like to know myself!! devil.gif$$$$$$$ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone taking offers on that book?

(Thanks again Rick! thumbsup2.gif)

Alright, who poached that book, and what do I have to offer tham to wrestle it away??

Ryan, Surfer brings up a point about Want Lists...I see you've always listed AMF 2/5 as being Wanted in your sig line, but what about contacting Metro and having them put the book on a Want List for you? That way, when the book comes in you can be notified direct instead of it being offered for grabs here on the Board?

Just a thought...

STEVE

I thought I did that... confused-smiley-013.gif

I use both the want list service on Metro, as well as submitting my list to Frank... plus I check the Centaur list daily on Metro.

What do I have to do????makepoint.gif

What other Centaurs are you looking for?

Well, just about any Everett or Gustavson covers... that will simplify things!!

WHY? What you got? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

mm0090.jpg

mm0090.jpg

Wow.. beautiful book Bill

no it's not...it's junk....tell you what I will do for you bill...go ahead and send the piece of dredge my way, and I relieve you of your misery! headbang.gif

hello all...

I logged on too late this afternoon, but I was going to PM them just to get it so that Ryan could have it (if he wanted, and if he didn't, I had just posted a hour earlier that my next Centaur would be a AMF)... when I read the post, there was no message under Steves, so I hit refresh before I was going to PM, and I saw that it was gone...I apologize Ryan, I feel I let you down (I was a minute to slow)...someone on the boards got it, do we know who?

rick

Hi Rick,

No need to feel like you let me down!! I appreciate the thought, and the fact you would have shelled out that kind of money so I could get the book. Fact is, I PM'd Stephen a few minutes too late ... literally, a few minutes.

I think it went to someone on the boards... I would like to know myself!! devil.gif$$$$$$$ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ok, I just got back from a 4-day business trip, and have a lot to catch up on. PMs will be responded to over the next day or so. But here are my thoughts on the AMF:

Just like Rick, I wish I'd seen the post because I too would've snagged it for you, as would I expect almost every regular on this board (like ciorac, sacentaur, etc), as we all know how much you want the book (not that sacentaur deals with Metro anymore, of course). I imagine someone not super-active in this community picked it up, and I definitely feel bad that you missed out on your book.

That said, it wasn't a failure of the want list system. As I understand it, want list matches are sent once a day (typically around midnight), and if the book is added to the system before then, the want list won't trigger at that exact moment. Also, in many, many cases Stephen is able to match a book to a customer based on a pre-existing relationship (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't rely on the automatic want list in those instances). In this case, AMF v2#5 was discussed on these boards many times and he probably figured (correctly) it was the easiest way to get the book to someone who really wanted it without making a lot of phone calls (knowing, for instance, that Jon Berk and I already have one and that Steve doesn't deal with Metro, etc).

I do feel badly for you, though. I can't imagine someone appreciating it more than yourself (the same amount, possibly, but not more).

Man, you guys post a ton in 4 days! I've got like 800 posts to read in the Golden Age forum alone!

hello all...

rick

Hi Rick,

Ok, I just got back from a 4-day business trip, and have a lot to catch up on. PMs will be responded to over the next day or so. But here are my thoughts on the AMF:

Just like Rick, I wish I'd seen the post because I too would've snagged it for you, as would I expect almost every regular on this board (like ciorac, sacentaur, etc), as we all know how much you want the book (not that sacentaur deals with Metro anymore, of course). I imagine someone not super-active in this community picked it up, and I definitely feel bad that you missed out on your book.

That said, it wasn't a failure of the want list system. As I understand it, want list matches are sent once a day (typically around midnight), and if the book is added to the system before then, the want list won't trigger at that exact moment. Also, in many, many cases Stephen is able to match a book to a customer based on a pre-existing relationship (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't rely on the automatic want list in those instances). In this case, AMF v2#5 was discussed on these boards many times and he probably figured (correctly) it was the easiest way to get the book to someone who really wanted it without making a lot of phone calls (knowing, for instance, that Jon Berk and I already have one and that Steve doesn't deal with Metro, etc).

I do feel badly for you, though. I can't imagine someone appreciating it more than yourself (the same amount, possibly, but not more).

Man, you guys post a ton in 4 days! I've got like 800 posts to read in the Golden Age forum alone!

Welcome back Win!

Dude, you just got that Detective Eye like 2 months ago! I've regularly seen Bronze and Silver collectors flip books like that, but very rarely GA guys. You still hurting for dough on that 'Tec 27 purchase?

What Tec 27 purchase?

Hey we don't all have millions in disposable income, some of us have to make sacrifices to move up into bigger books. I am in that group. I regret every book I sell, or ever sold for that matter! Just a fact of life. But the beauty is, I will get them all back again one day. I always do. grin.gif

I thought you might like the Detective Eye crazy.gif

Dude, you just got that Detective Eye like 2 months ago! I've regularly seen Bronze and Silver collectors flip books like that, but very rarely GA guys. You still hurting for dough on that 'Tec 27 purchase?

What Tec 27 purchase?

Hey we don't all have millions in disposable income, some of us have to make sacrifices to move up into bigger books. I am in that group. I regret every book I sell, or ever sold for that matter! Just a fact of life. But the beauty is, I will get them all back again one day. I always do. grin.gif

flowerred.gif

I think you have a pretty good idea of what I was willing to pay for the Detective Eye, you mad sniper. I'll certainly make sure you get your original investment back, if you choose to go that route.

But in theory, it's not a super scarce Centaur (although I don't have one, I've seen a few and passed), so if you can make a good bit more than your money back I certainly would hope you'd go that route instead. I'll find one eventually.

What Tec 27 purchase?

flowerred.gif

I think you have a pretty good idea of what I was willing to pay for the Detective Eye, you mad sniper. I'll certainly make sure you get your original investment back, if you choose to go that route.

But in theory, it's not a super scarce Centaur (although I don't have one, I've seen a few and passed), so if you can make a good bit more than your money back I certainly would hope you'd go that route instead. I'll find one eventually.

You have but to ask, and it is yours for what I paid. I have no interest in making a profit on a true collector like you!

Rumor had it you wanted to trade me something cool for it. I was intrigued by that rumor. Or you can just paypal me the dough! wink.gif

At the risk of putting RyanH on suicide watch...

100_0847.jpg

Please note that I did not balk at the 4x+ condition Guide price asked by Metro on the AMF 2/5...this is one great comic book folks.

Rather than extoll its virtues, I'll just let the table of contents do the talking:

Front Cover - Bill Everett

Skyrocket Steele - Bill Everett (6 pgs)

Dangerous Seas - Fred Guardineer (8 pgs)

Sand Hog - Paul Gustavson (6 pgs)

Dan Hastings - Fred Guardineer (6 pgs)

Uncle Joe's Joke Page - (filler, 2 pgs)

Fangs of the Cougar - Jim Chambers (3 pgs)

Air Sub DX - Carl Burgos (6 pgs)

Daredevil Barry Finn - Tarpe Mills (4 pgs)

Stolen Jewels - Claire Moe (6 pgs)

Ad page - (filler, 1 pg)

With covers, that's one FABULOUS 52 page Golden Ager.

STEVE

100_0847.jpg

Please note that I did not balk at the 4x+ condition Guide price asked by Metro on the AMF 2/5...this is one great comic book folks.

Rather than extoll its virtues, I'll just let the table of contents do the talking:

Ad page - (filler, 1 pg)

STEVE

Page quality could be better.

Who am I kidding?!? You're killing me! hail.gifhail.gif

Speaking of how great Metro is, here's the book Stephen posted a few pages back:

amazing-man22.jpg

You know what's cooler than Nazi gorilla monsters? Nothing.

That's becoming my favorite nazi cover! The only thing better would be if that gal on the top of the AMF cover were topless. Sorry...I've been channeling my inner ten year old again. blush.gif

CentaurMan,

First, thanks for the above comments... its great to know I've got a small army on the watch for this book!!! I know i'll snag it eventually, so I'm not too worried. But it still stings about when I think about missing it a few days ago! foreheadslap.gif

Second, a public congratulations on the AMAZING MAN 22... not only a tough book, and the coolest Nazi cover ever , but the Church copy!! That is one... GREAT ... FIND!!! Nice job!! I'm sure that copy will never see the light of day again in our lifetimes!

What else can you say on a book like that ... the cover says it all...

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gifhail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.giftakeit.gif

100_0847.jpg

Ad page - (filler, 1 pg)

STEVE

Dear Steve,

salt in the wounds... SALT IN THE WOUNDS!!!

tonofbricks.gif

That issue's line up is even better than i thought... good to see lots of Guardineer mixed in there!! Not a lot of filler, all killer!

If Metro didn't know I want the book before, they know now!!

Dear Steve,

salt in the wounds... SALT IN THE WOUNDS!!!

tonofbricks.gif

That issue's line up is even better than i thought... good to see lots of Guardineer mixed in there!! Not a lot of filler, all killer!

If Metro didn't know I want the book before, they know now!!

Yup, and similarly, if Metro didn't know Steve was just kidding about all those mean things he said about them, they know now! smile.gif