• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Comic Art vs. Comic Books - Wall Street Analysis

209 posts in this topic

Man, it's early in afternoon for a flamefest isn't it? Oh well, time to break out the marshmallows. Anyone got some chocolate, i'm in the mood for smores. cool.gif

I really don't have a problem with OA as an investment - it probably will appreciate. I have a problem with hucksters with dumb arguments. Nothing has returned 35-100% year after year, ever....obviously. Oil in the 20's, gold in the 70's, dotcoms in the 90's, stone in the stone age, give me a break....maybe 35-100% in one or two years, but year after year... screwy.gif

Ah Mithrilman,

You only reveal to the board that you are not only a bad thinker, but your math skills are comparable to a baboon. I don't want you in my oa hobby anyways. You dumbas$.

Destro

And with great thinkers, leaders, and communicators like this at the forefront of the OA world, who can doubt it's continued success?

Heartened, I hope you realize what a bad name this guy is giving your original art board.

And I have no idea why this guy insists on calling me Gilligan. screwy.gif

But to address your point with respect to 'insurance carrying costs',..negligible when you're makinh over 35% - 100% on your investment,...year over year.
Ah Mithrilman,

You only reveal to the board that you are not only a bad thinker, but your math skills are comparable to a baboon. I don't want you in my oa hobby anyways. You dumbas$.

Destro

And with great thinkers, leaders, and communicators like this at the forefront of the OA world, who can doubt it's continued success?

Heartened, I hope you realize what a bad name this guy is giving your original art board.

Can someone show me how $10,000 @ 100% per year does not get you $10.24 M in 10 years.......

But to address your point with respect to 'insurance carrying costs',..negligible when you're makinh over 35% - 100% on your investment,...year over year.
Ah Mithrilman,

Destro

Can someone show me how $10,000 @ 100% per year does not get you $5.12 M in 10 years.......

Don't bother yourselves.

Nice pieces, but my question is how much have the buyers' of those Kirby pages that came to market about 5(?) years ago been able to make by flipping them subsequently? I mention those pages as there was a good bit of hoopla surrounding their release, and I imagine much of that stuff has traded hands since then so there should be some available data. If OA was/is a good investment, then people would have been able to make some money flipping those. Can you shed any light on this with any sales figures?

Of course I have to wonder if the 2nd/3rd generation flipprs of those same pages can continue to make money off them over the next 5 years?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Banner,

I honestly don't know the answer -- Kirby was a bit of a problem in the market for a while after 'The Christopher Colelction" came to market. The collection was comprised of much Kirby and this suppressed the prices for many years. It is only recently that prices on Kirby have since re-bounded (I assume the market needed to digest the collection).

As to whether OA will continue to be a good investment, I believe so -- but obviously,...my analysis is merely a prognostication/ forecast that is inconclusive. I believe much material in OA will probably 'flatten' or 'drop' in price but blue chip material will rise. I see many reasons to be a 'believer' in OA - (1) Without being disrespectful,...art tends to appreciate upon the death of the artist. (2) The number of people in the hobby is especially small (3)To date, their has been practically zero attention focused on the hobby and I believe many have no conception of the existence of OA -- When the ASM # 1 Cover and like material find there way to market,..which they will assuredly,.....I envision the hobby will attract much, much new blood. ((5) And I don't mean this disrespectfully to comics (I collected for many a year and still have several books),..but,..comics have become in many ways like the piece of wedding cake from the Duke of Windsor's wedding that sells for 100K....with every crumb that flakes off,...someone has a hissy fit !

Ultimately,...as with comics,..I suggest people purchase what they can envision thmeselves holding irrespective of value,....a piece may hang on the wall for years without appreciatiing,..and one should be prepared for that fact.

Heartened, I hope you realize what a bad name this guy is giving your original art board

Last I checked, Destro is not our spokesperson anymore than any of you are for the comic book hobby. In fact, I'm not sure he's even on our discussion list. I had never encountered him before, and I don't even know his real name.

This discussion is not something that I wish to be a part of. It was certainly an interesting debate last month, but since then it has degenerated quite a bit. Let's just all move on.

Heartened, I hope you realize what a bad name this guy is giving your original art board

Last I checked, Destro is not our spokesperson anymore than any of you are for the comic book hobby. In fact, I'm not sure he's even on our discussion list. I had never encountered him before, and I don't even know his real name.

This discussion is not something that I wish to be a part of. It was certainly an interesting debate last month, but since then it has degenerated quite a bit. Let's just all move on.

Fair enough. thumbsup2.gif I'm bowing out on this one, too.

I think that the biggest roadblock for OA is the price. The vast majority of comic collectors can't even afford a single panel page from a popular issue. Just look at the examples you posted from Heritage. The cheapest was $11,500. That's worth more than my entire comic collection at this point. Most collectors are in my boat, which means there are a finite number of people that could even try jumping into the OA market. It's like the vintage car market... lots of people want the 67' Shelby GT 500 Fastback (Mustang for you non-car buffs), but very few can afford it (Sold at Barrett-Jackson last week for $191k)

Basically... cost will keep your hobby small.

I agree,..the prices arent for the weak.

I believe Glen Gold who wrote an article for Playboy about original art said it best "If comic books are like cocaine, art work is like crack".

That said,.....all you need is to be creative. Where there's a will,...there's a way !!!!

that is the most tragically hip statement ive seen in years. Did he really say that?