• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Can you explain that. I saw the movie when was he flying? Bullet proof is easy to explain. Your body is used to ocean pressure
which would tend for your skin to be a little more impervious.

He propelled himself underwater with no apparent motive force.  String enough to lift a sub.  That is flying in my book.  Ocean pressure does not make an organism 'tough'.  Some of the most fragile creatures and jellies are at the deepest part of the ocean.  All you need is internal pressure to equal external, as water cannot be compressed and organisms are mainly composed of water.  

Also a head scratcher was water seems to have the same refractive index and acoustic qualities as air.  People underwater could just as well have been having a chat in the park, based on visual and acoustic qualities.

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't see the issue. You are nitpicking. 

I see a huge issue-he apparently has tapped into a motive force completely undiscovered, and has bullet proof and explosive proof skin, which no sea creature posesses.  Why not make him shoot lasers from his eyes too I mean why not?  

Edited by kav

In movies things have to be explained.  If aquaman can fly underwater there needs to be a reason for that.  Otherwise you just have a saturday morning cartoon.  

Also a bit curious how cetaceans are hangin out deep at the bottom of ocean.  Um them things need to surface to breathe-

Filmmakers just dont CARE

Also is it just me or is this move a Black Panther rip off, plot wise?  Fight over throne, advanced tech to attack outside world-

Edited by kav

My review of Aguaman:

Ok we got the standard fish outta water story ripped straight from the pages of another movie- in this case fish in the water-Aguaman doesnt know anything about the kingdom he needs to rule to save the world from the bad guys etc. In standard fashion he doesnt wanna help but gets coaxed into it when the bad guys actions impinge on his life. He hooks up with standard love interest and they bicker in standard fashion. Plenty of underwater scenes where no one's clothes or hair is even wet. We have the standard faked attack from the surface dwellers to instigate a war by the bad guys. Standard battle for throne ensues. Then its off to find the standard McGuffin, more bickering. Bad guys concocts secret plan to kill em even tho he promised not to, in standard fashion utilizing other bad guy who wants standard vengeance for Aguaman killing someone close to him, in this case his dad. Standard scenes of leaping out of planes, into sand holes etc even tho they have never done that and have no reason to think they could survive except for the fact that they have standard plot armor. Standard final scene ensues where all the bad guys get comeuppance.

Oh yeah dont forget the standard scene where love interest stumbles, Aguaman catches her then they stare deep into each others eyes-about to kiss then-INTERRUPTED!!!!  Didn't see that coming oh no I didnt!!  Ps did they have to copy the exact personality of Thor, just because he has long hair??  Aguaman and Thor are the same guy, just different powers.  The goofy lovable nit wit.  Plus bonus standard scene of battle that ends up in some old lady villager's house and she just looks on in bored fashion.  Simply hilarious, I say!

Yawn.

Edited by kav

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Yes, it was 45 minutes too long; Black Manta's character was as one dimensional as a character can possibly be; half of the music seemed out of place and the other half seemed stolen from Tron Legacy; and Amber Heard cannot act...at all.  And that final battle scene with the crab-people, why were they fighting?

But it was fun. I liked it far more than Avengers: Infinity War.

Edited by Red84
more

5 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Yes, it was 45 minutes too long; Black Manta's character was as one dimensional as a character can possibly be; half of the music seemed out of place and the other half seemed stolen from Tron Legacy; and Amber Heard cannot act...at all.

But it was fun. I liked it far more than Avengers: Infinity War.

I'm not saying it was horrible like Venom, I'm just tired of seeing the exact same scenes and plot 'twists' in every single lazy movie.  When a couple is about to kiss you know damn well whats coming next.  Not a single surprise in entire movie.  When good guy gets injured its always the shoulder, except when they do the thing where shard of glass/metal in thigh that has to be 'pulled out'.

Edited by kav

Just now, kav said:

I'm not saying it was horrible like Venom, I'm just tired of seeing the exact sames scenes and plot 'twists' in every single lazy movie.  When a couple is about to kiss you know damn well whats coming next.  Not a single surprise in entire movie.

I'm okay with the reused tropes and cliche scenes. I was surprised by the crab-people fight...since it was not set up and they had no motivation. :) 

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 9.27.11 PM.png

Just now, Red84 said:

I'm okay with the reused tropes and cliche scenes. I was surprised by the crab-people fight...since it was not set up and they had no motivation. :) 

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 9.27.11 PM.png

The worst crabs in a movie has to go to the stupid space crabs in 'Apollo 18'.

Any action movie scene in a foreign village has to have a rooftop chase scene.  I think its a filmmaker Union rule or something-

These are movies made by committee.  Cinematic junk food, like the disposable entertainment that reached you in comic form. 

Granted, there's a Deadpool and Dark Knight, here and there.  But, the chances of everyone enjoying an Aguaman movie were minimal, at best.

It did reach a lot of people in a positive way and being a fan of James Wan's minimal "Conjuring" movies, I'm not sure I'm going to be one of them.

But, I'll try it, regardless, on Blu Ray.

Christmas Eve funny book prescription: pop in the Unrated "Robocop" (1987) movie.  It's on of the best underrated comic book movies of all time!

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

These are movies made by committee.  Cinematic junk food, like the disposable entertainment that reached you in comic form. 

Granted, there's a Deadpool and Dark Knight, here and there.  But, the chances of everyone enjoying an Aguaman movie were minimal, at best.

It did reach a lot of people in a positive way and being a fan of James Wan's minimal "Conjuring" movies, I'm not sure I'm going to be one of them.

But, I'll try it, regardless, on Blu Ray.

Christmas Eve funny book prescription: pop in the Unrated "Robocop" (1987) movie.  It's on of the best underrated comic book movies of all time!

Once in a while a good -script appears-believe it or not the original ---script of 'Last Action Hero' was great-then Arnold and others wanted change after change.  Final product became a complete disaster.

Edited by kav