• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

These slabs from Heritage look funky...

142 posts in this topic

My 2c = The box they were mailed in was probably dropped (maybe more than once) and the inner wells crunched against the outer shells, thus causing the damage shown in those pics.

The box was in good shape, no crunched corners, and the books were wrapped in a substantial amount of bubble wrap.

Jeff, I am fairly certain the inner wells have been damaged, likely be overexposure to heat. On the Cap, I would not be suprised if the barex has adhered to part of the top of the cover wrap (see the white artefact above OUP in GROUP and same tiny specks above IN in CAPTAIN).

I think you're right. :cry:

I wonder how hot they have to get for this to happen.

I'm afraid to admit I have some experience with this. I had very nearly $2K worth of books melted on a warm sunny day while they were displayed in a showcase at an outdoor market. They were under a UV protected tent, and not under direct sunlight. I wondered at the time how this could have happened as barex is supposed to have a melting point 317 degrees C and it couldn't have been hotter than 40 degrees with the humidity that day. All the books in Mylar in the same display were fine.

While we will probably never know exactly how this took place, your situation reopens the possibility that slabs could get damaged during transit (i.e. in a really warm delivery truck on a hot day). I don't know how Heritage allowed these to slip through as this kind of melt is pretty noticeable when you see the books in hand and shouldn't have been sold in this state.

Jeff, I am fairly certain the inner wells have been damaged, likely be overexposure to heat. On the Cap, I would not be suprised if the barex has adhered to part of the top of the cover wrap (see the white artefact above OUP in GROUP and same tiny specks above IN in CAPTAIN).

I'm afraid to admit I have some experience with this. I had very nearly $2K worth of books melted on a warm sunny day while they were displayed in a showcase at an outdoor market. They were under a UV protected tent, and not under direct sunlight. I wondered at the time how this could have happened as barex is supposed to have a melting point 317 degrees C and it couldn't have been hotter than 40 degrees with the humidity that day. All the books in Mylar in the same display were fine.

While we will probably never know exactly how this took place, your situation reopens the possibility that slabs could get damaged during transit (i.e. in a really warm delivery truck on a hot day). I don't know how Heritage allowed these to slip through as this kind of melt is pretty noticeable when you see the books in hand and shouldn't have been sold in this state.

comicwiz- When this happened to you, were your books lying flat, or were they standing up?

The reason I'm asking is because if they were standing up and the inside of the cgc case was heating up, the heat would travel to the top of the case and continue to heat up leaving the bottom cooler. I'm not suggesting that the barex became hot enough to melt but it may have begun to expand. With nowhere for the barex to go it may have started to ripple.

The books you showed in the other thread have ripples in the top 1/4 of the barex, but the bottoms look fine.

Vaultkeeper solids do not experience convection so the top shouldn't have been any hotter than the bottom.

comicwiz- When this happened to you, were your books lying flat, or were they standing up?

The reason I'm asking is because if they were standing up and the inside of the cgc case was heating up, the heat would travel to the top of the case and continue to heat up leaving the bottom cooler. I'm not suggesting that the barex became hot enough to melt but it may have begun to expand. With nowhere for the barex to go it may have started to ripple.

The books you showed in the other thread have ripples in the top 1/4 of the barex, but the bottoms look fine.

Second time writing this, thanks to these brutal forums.

Yes, they were laying flat. I'm not sure why all the damaged slabs exhibit rippling and melt at the top, but both the HFH 1 and ASM 129 that were damaged had the barex completely laminated to the cover from top to bottom. Notch it up as another terrible way for a high grade book to go in a CGC slab.

166 degree C melt point

So you guys are saying slabs in a hot car or just a hot day or A/C goes out will completely destroy the comic they are holding?

166 degree C melt point

Interesting because another source said 317. Nonetheless, it's still hard to believe a slab can warm up during shipping even to 166 degrees.

166 degree C melt point

Interesting because another source said 317. Nonetheless, it's still hard to believe a slab can warm up during shipping even to 166 degrees.

Most of these slabs are getting shipped by air at some point. I would assume when they unload the airplane, the boxes are sitting in some sort of transport vehicle on the runway. I would imagine if the air temp is over 90 degrees F, and it is very sunny that the tarmac could heat up the boxes even more, possibly causing extremely high temps inside the transport vehicle, thus melting the inner well.