• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

Been trying to find this cool greytone for some time i just love the cover!

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/102_5285_zpsb4424354.jpg' alt='102_5285_zpsb4424354.jpg'>

:cloud9:

Greytone Mystery in Space 55

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/M55.jpg' alt='M55.jpg'>

skypinkblu :cloud9:

..... Sharon has always been a favorite boardie of mine.... but as time went on and I watched her shepard so many charity threads over the years I decided that I really wanted a book from her in my collection. Many of my books have sentimental elements due to who the book actually came from. This particular comic came through Sharon from a hoard of books that had varying degrees of distributor ink.... some with so much that they are almost ruined. This one is actually not too bad.... and it's one of my favorites of the run. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

CU6.jpg

Not "overspray" it's exactly what I told him, it's distributor's ink.

Years ago when books were sold in coffee shops, candy stores , etc...the "distributor's" took returns of unsold books, they went back to the distributor's warehouse for "credit" .

Instead of returning the books to the publishers, they sprayed them with ink...(I've only seen this green/blue, or purple), to mark them, so they couldn't be resold. Sometimes the logos (tops) of the covers or the whole front covers were torn off.

I've had thousands of these books, some were drowned in blue ink and some like this one, or my Action 252, just have a tiny bit...typically, the books on the top of the pile were drowned, the ones in the middle, came out OK;) The best thing is always the color, since the books were in the dark, they were never sun faded. I just donated my last Archie Giant to the Flatrock thread, you can see it there, brilliant colors.

This book was purchased from someone who was liquidating a distributor's warehouse in LI NY about 10 years ago he was selling the books on eBay, but I went in person and picked through 10's of thousands of books...I taught him about Overstreet and some basic grading what books to look for...and he let me pick out books off the shelves;)...I had a lot of fun and boxes FULL of ink sprayed books and sometimes no ink sprayed books, I was hooked;) I don't have many left and this was one of them...if you google " Bakerstowne", (or "Bakertown" or even "Bakerstown" I never could remember how to spell it;) you might find some threads. There were thousands of some issues like Classics Illustrated,, especially since the publisher was in the next State and only one of a kind of books like these, and my Action 252.

Hope this helps...

Edited by jimjum12