• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Skybound 5th Anniversary Box set (updated with Ticket totals)

1,760 posts in this topic

I think Ryan is a great guy. And yes, this does sort of scream 90's speculation.

But from what I've seen from Kirkman and his Skybound company they really seem to be good people and really try hard to please their fans and not just throw any old thing out there for the masses to lap up.

These are pretty cool box sets that, even as just a fan, if you get one without anything other than it's original contents in it, it's a quality item.

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't. It is a great idea for fans just as the box around Thanksgiving was if people are buying it FOR the box. Look at it this way.

Collector 1: Buys a box FOR the contents and is excited to get whatever he gets to add to his PC. He spends $80 and is happy.

Speculator 1: Buys 10 boxes for a golden ticket and could care less for the "drek" that is inside. He doesn't get anything of interest to him as a speculator and feels BUTTHURT so he dumps the boxes contents - after of course opening it to check to see if the contents are NM ;) - and lists it for $50 on eBay.

Collector 1: Now feels somewhat BUTTHURT that what he paid $80 for he could have gotten for $50 and what he paid $80 for is now essentially worth $50.

I just think this is the negative side of it. I get that Skybound is throwing in the super duper limited collectibles for fans, but I'm not sure if they actually always reach fans. Why not just put out a box with the stated contents and make it worth it for a fan? Skip the gimmick of a limited edition whatever.

Interesting timing right now considering all of the discussion regarding Mystery Boxes. :insane:

Oh believe me, I'm well aware of how it works...it's crippled the non-key selling side of this hobby.

But I think these sets will hold their value over time, because of the quality of the contents.

But yeah... the frenzy to 'score' is cringe-worthy.

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't. It is a great idea for fans just as the box around Thanksgiving was if people are buying it FOR the box. Look at it this way.

Collector 1: Buys a box FOR the contents and is excited to get whatever he gets to add to his PC. He spends $80 and is happy.

Speculator 1: Buys 10 boxes for a golden ticket and could care less for the "drek" that is inside. He doesn't get anything of interest to him as a speculator and feels BUTTHURT so he dumps the boxes contents - after of course opening it to check to see if the contents are NM ;) - and lists it for $50 on eBay.

Collector 1: Now feels somewhat BUTTHURT that what he paid $80 for he could have gotten for $50 and what he paid $80 for is now essentially worth $50.

Im getting 2 more boxes. If I strike out, Ill PIF to a couple of buddies rather than take a loss.

I think Ryan is a great guy. And yes, this does sort of scream 90's speculation.

But from what I've seen from Kirkman and his Skybound company they really seem to be good people and really try hard to please their fans and not just throw any old thing out there for the masses to lap up.

These are pretty cool box sets that, even as just a fan, if you get one without anything other than it's original contents in it, it's a quality item.

I just think this is the negative side of it. I get that Skybound is throwing in the super duper limited collectibles for fans, but I'm not sure if they actually always reach fans. Why not just put out a box with the stated contents and make it worth it for a fan? Skip the gimmick of a limited edition whatever.

Interesting timing right now considering all of the discussion regarding Mystery Boxes. :insane:

Oh believe me, I'm well aware of how it works...it's crippled the non-key selling side of this hobby.

But I think these sets will hold their value over time, because of the quality of the contents.

But yeah... the frenzy to 'score' is cringe-worthy.

This