• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Skybound 5th Anniversary Box set (updated with Ticket totals)

1,760 posts in this topic

Bought two boxes from CDaBruce. Safe to say no B&W or Walking Dead #1 but

still awesome!

photo IMG_20150720_195800.jpg

That ticket looks a little fishy - you better send it to me so I can confirm it's legit.

Another note:

It's obvious that people are buying these for the lotto tickets and if they don't hit they are dumping them on the bay (oh, i opened this to make sure they were NM and they ALL check out :D )

Go buy some scratch offs

I can honestly say that I'm pretty happy with my box set without the lotto ticket. I read Birthright last night and thought it was a fun read. I started Manifest Destiny and was intrigued by it but didn't get far.

It is a pretty nice set.

There really looks to be no down side to these boxes especially if you get them for $80 unless the price for opened sets start to fall drastically. I love me a mystery box!

Open box sold for $54 on eBay yesterday (just one example)

and one sold for $90+(another example)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-FIVE-YEARS-2010-2015-SKYBOUND-5TH-ANNIVERSARY-BOX-SET-OPENED-SDCC-/311404958947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48812e94e3

:baiting:

Pay $80, sell for $90

^^

What exactly is your problem with this product Ryan? This is no different than buying a case of Walking Dead trading cards, enjoying the Anticipation (which is super fun) of not knowing what you'll get in the product, and being able to then collect what you open.

You know what has grown NOT fun in comics?? Seeing the same people submit 50 copies of Lazarus, or Outcast (seriously, 1800 9.8 copies already??) or whatever the new "hot" comic is of the week.

Sure it's a gamble. That's the fun thing about it. I personally wanted a b&w set, but was 100% against buying a set on ebay. Why?? Because that's no fun.

"Artificial collectible" ??? Seriously?? 99.99% of all new modern comics are defined as this. I thought the WD#1, and Invisible #1 b&w editions looked cool enough for me to get.

Oh, and for those thinking ebay sellers will weigh, or w/e I bought this box of the bay, and hit this:

a8d0a84e-1f56-4918-b326-485dae12d170.jpg

Seriously don't understand some of the hatred on these boards lately, and not just in the modern section. People wonder why I haven't been active for mo's, but it's for these reasons.

Oh, and I support "mystery boxes" type sales if they come from legit sellers. Wonder why the "loot" craze is so popular??? It's the same concept. Don't mean to rant at you specifically Ryan, just addressing the issue as a whole though.

If you don't mean to rant at me specifically then don't, :censored:

You don't get to :flamed: and then punk out at the end by saying "oh, I didn't mean it."

Unlike you I didn't hate on anyone specifically. I'm just calling a spade a spade in this case. I have an opinion like everyone else up here. All collectibles in our realm are "manufactured." Just some more so than others.

Thanks brother for the love (thumbs u

PS: how many copies of the "hot" comic Rachel Rising #1 are you sitting on :popcorn:

I have one lowly 1st print left and 2x 9.8 3rd prints left. I sold 5x 9.8 1st prints that I found at hastings a long long time ago, why? (shrug)

And I'm not punking out, I just disagree with you on this topic. It's clear you don't like any of the b&w or colored editions of these books, right? And that's fine. But don't go bashing people for buying these, that almost falls under the "what I collect is cool...." scenario, no?? Or is it just the fact that they added extra content in some of the boxes, and you don't like the "gamble" part??

And congrats MadTitan, nice pull!!

These numerous variant covers don't SCREAM 90's all over again to everyone!? :insane:

I think Ryan is saying that if people buy the boxes FOR the boxes without hoping for anything else, (thumbs u

But when people are buying boxes ONLY for a chance at winning a Golden Ticket or some sort of extremely, super duper, limited to 0:1 variant of a variant and they don't get it, there will be a lot of butthurt and dumping of the "junk" that they got. It starts to feel like it's creating drek as the once limited books aren't so limited when all of those people that struck out begin dumping open boxes on the cheap to recoup some of their "losses".

I think the issue is the number of collectors that generally want a set of the books for a personal collection is being dwarfed by the number of speculators who are hoping to hit it on a scratch ticket.

And "Seeing the same people submit 50 copies of Lazarus, or Outcast (seriously, 1800 9.8 copies already??) or whatever the new "hot" comic is of the week." was definitely a low blow comment to say to a great guy that is trying to build something and puts up those same books for sale in honest "$.99 auctions" every week to give a chance to those that love books to buy them cheap. Do you know how many times I and a couple other friends have :baiting: Ryan for doing that yet he keeps doing it. Ryan is trying to build a business side of collecting to support his collecting side just like everyone else that sells here. He inspires me with all of the hard work he puts into this. Have you seen his newsletters every week? I can completely understand why he would take offense to that comment. :sorry:

@ Cujo

I don't want to fight

I actually want an invincible regular and B&W for my run as a COLLECTOR

It just pisses me off that so many complain about manufactured collecting and then line up for it and Justin is right that probably more than half of the boxes sold were for the lotto, not fandom

I think Ryan is a great guy. And yes, this does sort of scream 90's speculation.

But from what I've seen from Kirkman and his Skybound company they really seem to be good people and really try hard to please their fans and not just throw any old thing out there for the masses to lap up.

These are pretty cool box sets that, even as just a fan, if you get one without anything other than it's original contents in it, it's a quality item.

I think Ryan is a great guy. And yes, this does sort of scream 90's speculation.

But from what I've seen from Kirkman and his Skybound company they really seem to be good people and really try hard to please their fans and not just throw any old thing out there for the masses to lap up.

These are pretty cool box sets that, even as just a fan, if you get one without anything other than it's original contents in it, it's a quality item.

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't. It is a great idea for fans just as the box around Thanksgiving was if people are buying it FOR the box. Look at it this way.

Collector 1: Buys a box FOR the contents and is excited to get whatever he gets to add to his PC. He spends $80 and is happy.

Speculator 1: Buys 10 boxes for a golden ticket and could care less for the "drek" that is inside. He doesn't get anything of interest to him as a speculator and feels BUTTHURT so he dumps the boxes contents - after of course opening it to check to see if the contents are NM ;) - and lists it for $50 on eBay.

Collector 1: Now feels somewhat BUTTHURT that what he paid $80 for he could have gotten for $50 and what he paid $80 for is now essentially worth $50.

I just think this is the negative side of it. I get that Skybound is throwing in the super duper limited collectibles for fans, but I'm not sure if they actually always reach fans. Why not just put out a box with the stated contents and make it worth it for a fan? Skip the gimmick of a limited edition whatever.

Interesting timing right now considering all of the discussion regarding Mystery Boxes. :insane:

@ Cujo

I don't want to fight

I actually want an invincible regular and B&W for my run as a COLLECTOR

It just pisses me off that so many complain about manufactured collecting and then line up for it and Justin is right that probably more than half of the boxes sold were for the lotto, not fandom

Ryan, I'm truly sorry. I see where you guys are coming from. I just feel this is one of the better exclusives I've seen offered, plus I'm a gambler in many things. Hell, I'm writing a comic book and funding it on my own....you gotta be a gambler to do that lol.

I honestly didn't mean to insult you, and I'm very sorry. In fact, I have one more box coming from Dre that I planned on selling since I just wanted the b&w version, but I'll probably end up opening it and I'll send you my colored one for free...K?