• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,448 posts in this topic

By the way, Tim, I am very impressed to see a correct spelling of the word "occurrence" in front of me. 893applaud-thumb.gif My experience is that virtually no one can spell it.

Your comment about spelling reminded me of something I saw on the STL Comics website recently. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of the anal board members who gave me a hard time about misspelling "dilemma"... poke2.gif

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the 893scratchchin-thumb.gifuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt."

Very cool, FFB! thumbsup2.gif

After I was looking at the post above on the stl site, I did my monthly check of Amazon and, well...Dennis collectors will be VERY happy to see this:

New Dennis Book on Amazon

Too bad we have to wait till September 5th! On the other hand, it will save us trying to index all the daily and Sunday comics from the 1950s since this looks like it may be the beginning of a set. We can only hope! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

( I hpoe I seplled eevryhtnig crroetcly...)

tonofbricks.gif

gosh, i can't believe this thread has actually got me interested in DTM books

So I guess the "sick"-ness is now speading???

thumbsup2.gif

But, in all due seriousness, when we collectors hang out and socialize, we talk about and share info about the latest comics, the movies, Marvel and DC superhero stuff, Disney stuff. I've been there and done that, and then some. But this is the first time - here in this thread - that Dennis comic collectors have had the opportunity to share info and chat. I find it very cool, cause these comics are amazing and long overdue for recognition as some of the absolute classics of comic book history.

Joe

Gotta agree, Joe. Recognition for Dennis comics (especially Al Wiseman's) are long overdue. I've watched as first Carl Barks and then John Stanley emerged from the shadow of super-hero comics. Very worthy candidates!

I was pleased when Dan DeCarlo received his due. I have a fondness for George Carlson (Jingle Jangle Tales), but I have to be honest - when Bob Bolling started getting recognition for "Little Archie" - I must confess to getting a little irritated.

Not that I begrudge Bolling his due. It's just that I find Wiseman a much better artist - and he continues to languish in annonymity. It is long past time for his (and Fred Toole's) contribution to comic book culture to be recognized.

BTW, I'm very excited to see Fantagraphics launching a "complete" Dennis project. (Just what I needed - another "must buy" item!) foreheadslap.gif

It is very cool that this thread has brought Escape, Bill, and now you, Mark, to participate in these forums. I am planning to invite Marcus Hamilton, the current Sunday artist, and Ron Ferdinand, the current daily artist, to check out this thread. I am also planning to email some other Dennis collectors I have run across on eBay....

Joe

Taking a page from Joe's book, I took it upon myself yesterday to email Fred Hembeck, to encourage him to give this great forum a look. He responded back today (Hi Fred, if your reading this

hi.gif ) and expressed his genuine happiness that such a forum as this exists. He promises to lurk and soak up what he can, as time allows..... but more importantly, he wants to promote this forum on his links page, as early as next week!

He said it seems not a week goes by that someone doesnt contact him in regards to his Toole-Wiseman piece he did on the website.

I have the feeling we're gonna need to order more root beers soon........

It is very cool that this thread has brought Escape, Bill, and now you, Mark, to participate in these forums. I am planning to invite Marcus Hamilton, the current Sunday artist, and Ron Ferdinand, the current daily artist, to check out this thread. I am also planning to email some other Dennis collectors I have run across on eBay....

Joe

Taking a page from Joe's book, I took it upon myself yesterday to email Fred Hembeck, to encourage him to give this great forum a look. He responded back today (Hi Fred, if your reading this

hi.gif ) and expressed his genuine happiness that such a forum as this exists. He promises to lurk and soak up what he can, as time allows..... but more importantly, he wants to promote this forum on his links page, as early as next week!

He said it seems not a week goes by that someone doesnt contact him in regards to his Toole-Wiseman piece he did on the website.

I have the feeling we're gonna need to order more root beers soon........

I love Fred Hembeck!!!! The Fantastic Four Roast was one of my favorite comics from my childhood. Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #86 (from "Assistant Editors' Month") was another classic! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very cool, I loved Hembeck's funnies!

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the 893scratchchin-thumb.gifuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt."

Very cool, FFB! thumbsup2.gif

That was definitely cool! But that means my one real talent in life has become devalued! frown.gif

Anyways, I'm going to keep the link so I can forward it to anyone at work who finds a typo in any of my work.

when Bob Bolling started getting recognition for "Little Archie" - I must confess to getting a little irritated.

Not that I begrudge Bolling his due. It's just that I find Wiseman a much better artist - and he continues to languish in annonymity.

I don't understand this whole new beatification of Little Archie. When I was a kid, I read Ducks, Dennis, Little Archie (and big Archie) and the various Harvey titles (particularly Richie Rich). Even then, it was obvious that Carl Barks' work and Toole-Wiseman's Dennis the Menace work towered above the rest. It just had that touch of genius. Little Archie never really stood out in my mind, it was an entertaining read and that's all. So I'm kind of amazed by the adulation it's suddenly getting.

Good call, Escape! You are the man! thumbsup2.gif

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you - or Bill - about the Grand Comic Book Database project. It seems someone has "reserved" all the Dennis titles to index. Does that mean only that person gets to do it? Hardly any issues are indexed, lots is missing, and there are mistakes, but there doesn't really seem to be any way to help out. I know I can email the people in charge, but I was wondering what insight you and Bill had into this since you are more familiar with the site. And I hope my comments don't come off the "wrong way" or that it appears I am unappreciative of the work that has occurred thus far. I am VERY appreciative. My angle is that I would just like to help out. Any suggestions?

Joe

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you - or Bill - about the Grand Comic Book Database project. It seems someone has "reserved" all the Dennis titles to index. Does that mean only that person gets to do it? Hardly any issues are indexed, lots is missing, and there are mistakes, but there doesn't really seem to be any way to help out. I know I can email the people in charge, but I was wondering what insight you and Bill had into this since you are more familiar with the site.

Joe, Bill or others on this list more knowlegable, may be able to to share their insights with you concerning the truth about "chunks of series" being reserved by one or more individuals on the GCD.

I can only give you my opinion...

I'm on a few other lists/groups, and its quite universal that, while the GCD is a great resource for historians and fans, it seems (to me) to be a political, buddy buddy type operation when it comes to allowing folks to contribute data. They are open to cover scan donations, but when it comes to volunteering your time and info for the books themselves, its a closed shop. The people who have "reserved" full series, Im sure were well meaning when they "got dibs" on whatever... but some of these series have not been updated in YEARS. And you're right, there are mistakes that need to be corrected.

I don't mean to tread on the toes of historians like Will Murray and Bob Hughes, both fine individuals. I used to subscribe to the GCD mailing list, but quit after wading through endless threads of debating over HOW to correct false data, HOW to verify false data, how to correct the corrections.... Ugh! A lot of arguing over writer credits, inking credits.... which is FINE, but hardly anything ever got DONE. smile.gif Its a huge project, granted. But the way they deligate "experts" to have control left me a little frustrated.

And concerning how your comments might be taken the wrong way?

I think we are in agreement the GCD is a great tool. And we share in our confusion and bewilderment on how such a fine website, could allow "reserving" comic series, if for no other reason, to keep it in a controled, tight circle of fans. *sigh*

Again, these are only my opinions. I'm sure if we were administrators of the project, we would be aware of all the problems regarding an "open door policy". I dunno.

Can someone shed some light?

confused.gif

I can't really shed too much light on the Grand Comic Book Database either. I've used it for research, but I've never contributed. It was my understanding that people could reserve titles, but they needed to be turning in research in a timely fashion or they would lose their reservation. Maybe that's not the case, I really don't know.

It is a private website - somebody is paying the freight on the bandwidth - so I guess they can choose whoever they want to do the research. If you're interested, Joe, drop them a nice friendly e-mail and see what response you get.

If Fred drops by the thread, that would be great - I've been a fan of his work since way back when he started his weekly strip for CBG. I own several collections of that work.

As for the growing Bolling cult, I have a feeling that many comic book fans (like the population in general) have a lot off people who simply follow the herd. After all, Rob Liefeld was "star" for awhile and I thought the guy was atrocious (big necks, big guns, little heads, scowls - over and over and over). Somebody liked Bolling's work, got it some exposure, other jumped on the bandwagon. I just wish Wiseman could be so lucky!

Escape and Bill, thanks for the info! I will email them when I get some time.

Now...back to the postings! Here is a homage - or at least an acknowledgement of Dennis's place in the history of comics - from Matt Groening, creator of the Simpsons. I have read many interviews with him, and he is a big Dennis fan. Sandwiched between Tom Sawyer and Bart Simpson, Dennis is the classic

"bad boy" who's... not so bad after all. When the Simpson family is transported into literary stories, that is SO inspired by the Dennis comics, like the Mother Goose issues or the Way-Out stories. My favorite Simpsons of that nature have got to be the Simpsons' Hamlet, Monkey's Paw, and the Simpsons' Tom Sawyer. One of the funniest episodes of the Simpsons, of course, was when Geogre Bush moved in across the street from the Simpsons and Bart would come over to visit, saying, "Helloooooo, Mr. Bush!" And he would respond by saying, "Oh, it's that damn kid again. Barbara, where's my nerve medicine?" Classic stuff! This is from the inside cover of Bart Simpson #1:

770599-111.groening.jpg

I can't speak for the rest of the board, but it looks like your scanner may need a little Windex, Joe. There are blurry patches on both the Groening page and the top half of the Hembeck page.

Also, it's probably my failing eyes, but I cannot read the baloons on the Hemback page. Is there a way to arrange the scan in chunks so it posts panels in a bigger size?

i'd rather like to read part one, but it's blurry as heck on my screen.

for my money, the artwork of Hank Ketchum is some of the historically most underrated in the medium. the guy always had clean lines, and a believable feel to the work.

Hello Everybody,

As Joe mentioned in an earlier post, I wrote a Dennis the Menace collectibles article for Toy Shop magazine several years ago. In the article, I described some of the more common Dennis toys and merchandise, as well as some price ranges that collectors could expect to pay. At the end of the article, I decided to include my e-mail address with the intent that interested collectors could contact me. I did receive several e-mails, but one letter in particular stands out. A guy wrote me with an offer to sell some original Dennis artwork! You can imagine my surprise when he offered to sell me several hundred original comic book panels, all from the 1950s. It was certainly the fastest check I ever wrote. In the years since that purchase, I have been fortunate to buy many more of these comic book panels.

So, why is the early comic book artwork usually found in panels? Based on information I have gleaned from other collectors, Ketcham decided to cut up many of the original comic pages. I always guessed that he wanted to use the artwork as stock images for advertising campaigns and quick projects. This guess was confirmed last year when I bought another large lot of 1950s Dennis comic book panels that came in a folder labeled "Cheaters"...in the same handwriting style as the Dennis artwork!

My main goal with the accumulation of these Dennis comic panels is to rebuild the original pages. Adjacent panels often fit together cleanly, and I have many partial pages that only need one or two panels to complete. I do have some full Dennis pages that were never cut apart, but the vast majority of 1950s Dennis comic artwork I've seen was scissored.

Attached to this post are two larger Dennis panels in my collection. I apologize in advance for the size of the pictures, but I wanted to show just how clean the inking was in these panels. Bonus points if you can identify the original comic book where these panels appeared!

I'll be happy to post more scans of artwork and Dennis collectibles in the future.

Also, if anybody out there has Dennis artwork available for sale, please keep me in mind...

Regards,

Mark

dtm.art1.jpg

dtm.art2.jpg