• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art Con September 20 Secaucus, NJ

46 posts in this topic

I thought it was pretty dead crowd-wise, but then again I was only there to look myself. Saw some nice Sandy Plunkett sketches in Albert's stuff and almost bought one for $200. Just couldn't pull the trigger now that I am staying away from smaller pieces. But it was nice.

A note to the organizers... I was all set to jump on the bus, but decided not to make the trip after all. It is just too close to NYCC with most of the same vendors. Maybe pick a date further away from a major show next time? Because I love the idea of this show.

Yes , I'm glad somebody else felt that the crowd was small compared to previous years ,I thought it was just me. I don't think the promoters did anything differently and I wonder how the dealers felt . My unofficial observation was that Bechara's table was doing well but most of the other booths seemed a bit quiet.

That idea that someone posted in regards to the upcoming National Show in NYC in a couple of weeks being a factor might be accurate.

All things considered ,I picked up some great stuff from Bechara ,Albert Moy and Anthony and it is still a collectors dream and I want it to thrive and continue.

While I understand the show is close to NYCC, it was MUCH easier to talk to the dealers and look at the art without being bumped into or feeling pressured. Also dealers had more time to look through art that you had for sale or trade. Overall it was very enjoyable. I will be posting my purchases on CAF shortly, one which makes me smile every time I look at it!

Ankur

It was a good show. I always bring 50+ pieces to sell or trade and it blew me away that yet again other collectors didn't do this. It was as if they are shocked at the concept. Was surprised heritage bailed last minute so looked like comiclink took in a metric ton of consignments in their stead. Was great to talk to the guys at comic connect again. They have done great things with their site in the last year and was fun to discuss those changes with them.

This was my third year going and this was the lightest crowd. I think parking, the Giants game 1000 yards away, and the proximity to NYCC probably hurt that. But from a buying perspective it really made the experience better for me. I'll post some new acquisitions on CAF later. The drive was 8 hours each way which blew, and the hotel was "eh" as always...but the show was awesome yet again! It's the only show I travel out of state for anymore.

I still think there needs to be an official tie in between CAF and this show. Maybe promote it as the official show of CAF and do build up before it on the main page with some sort of travel promotions links/deals. I bet you could double the dealer and collector turn out...course that would mean more competition for material and maybe higher prices for buyers (aka me) so maybe that's not so hot lol.

Anyway great show, thanks Dan and Joe!

This was my first time attending the show and I enjoyed it. I'm glad there is a national show devoted to original art given how crazy the big con's are today. From an attendee standpoint, everything ran smoothly and it was a decent venue apart from the temporary parking mess that will hopefully be resolved before the next one.

If I was solely an OA collector, I would probably skip the full feature con's to attend these as it's a much more pleasant and relaxing environment.

I was hoping that I could buy a few art sized mylars and think there's an opportunity for someone to sell them.

Thanks for all the kind words and we appreciate everyone who made the effort to attend. Traditionally September's attendance is lighter than March's but we still had a few more attendees over last September's show. It might have been harder to see that given the bigger room and wider aisles over last year's room. Also the room tends to empty out earlier in September probably due to football season.

As for the parking, it was an inconvenience but we were told that it would be resolved over the next few months so by next March we should be good to go.

We will be announcing our 2016 dates shortly so stay tuned!

Thanks again,

Dan & Joe

PS We have been trying to get someone...anyone...to sell supplies since day 1 and we will keep trying until someone does!

Another great show! In terms of buying/selling/trading OA, this may be the best show around. You may get more collectors showing up at the SDCC and the NYCC, but the environment (bustling crowds, etc.) is not nearly as conducive to getting deals done. I enjoyed setting up at the show for the first time and ended up making a few sales as well as picking up some leads which may turn into future deals. It was great seeing some Boardies for the first time as well as seeing a lot of the usual suspects.

Hope to see more people at the March show!