• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

HA just isn't fun anymore. It is fast becoming the go to auction site for deep pockets and those who don't mind paying over market after you figure in "their" cut.

When has it ever been anything else? (shrug)

The Sunday weekly auctions used to be a great alternative for deals. Not no mo'

Heritage used to get about a third of my collecting budget. Mostly Sunday auctions. I don't think I've won anything from them since they went with the 'live' auctions for Sunday auctions. Most of my money now goes to clink and comicconnect.

With the current exchange rate it is even worse as a Canadian buyer.

27.5% exchange rate with the 19%, + 5% customs import duty = +51.5% of the final hammer!

The exchange rate doesn't change the cost, just the unit (CDN vs USD).

I think he means relative to the exchange rate between the CDN and the USD. A couple of years ago it was roughly at parity; today it's about 1.30 CDN = 1 USD. So that's a 30% higher price if you are a Canadian buying comics priced in U.S. dollars.

I'm dying up here!

HA just isn't fun anymore. It is fast becoming the go to auction site for deep pockets and those who don't mind paying over market after you figure in "their" cut.

Heritage used to get about a third of my collecting budget. Mostly Sunday auctions. I don't think I've won anything from them since they went with the 'live' auctions for Sunday auctions. Most of my money now goes to clink and comicconnect.

27.5% exchange rate with the 19%, + 5% customs import duty = +51.5% of the final hammer!

I think he means relative to the exchange rate between the CDN and the USD. A couple of years ago it was roughly at parity; today it's about 1.30 CDN = 1 USD. So that's a 30% higher price if you are a Canadian buying comics priced in U.S. dollars.

I'm dying up here!

Agreed.

Just can't justify buying anything from Heritage when I know I am adding to whatever the hammer is in currency conversion.

everybody pays the 19%, so the real difference is still 32% but the exchange rate should not effect the price..it seems like you are only paying an additional 5% plus additional postage....

That's why if you are a Canadian, you should probably be planning to sell off some of your books as opposed to buying more when the Cdn dollar is so low. :gossip:

Probably a good time to sell would be sometime next year when the Canadian dollar is expected to fall to around $0.70 cents US from its current $0.76 US. This means that you will receive almost $1.43 Cdn for every US dollar of books sold.

Not a bad boost to your return if you had brought your books when the 2 currencies were much closer to parity. hm:banana:

That's why if you are a Canadian, you should probably be planning to sell off some of your books as opposed to buying more when the Cdn dollar is so low. :gossip:

Probably a good time to sell would be sometime next year when the Canadian dollar is expected to fall to around $0.70 cents US from its current $0.76 US. This means that you will receive almost $1.43 Cdn for every US dollar of books sold.

Not a bad boost to your return if you had brought your books when the 2 currencies were much closer to parity. hm:banana:

..... I used to time my purchases from England for when the Pound was low..... there were times when it amounted to a 25 percent discount, yet the seller was still getting their full ask. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am wondering who is liquidating their Timely collection (shrug) Best offering I can remember for quite a while :applause:

....it ain't Merryweather lol ....GOD BLESS....

Good point, although if you are still building your collection, then being able to sell high right now may not be much consolation.

In any event, I wouldn't try to time the market. The Canadian dollar is as likely to be higher next year as it is to be lower. As the many wrong predictions that the euro would drop to parity with the U.S. dollar show, no one can reliably time financial markets.

I agree with that last post about exchange rates....very difficult to predict and often move counter to even the experts' predictions.

Those that make a living trading currency will say it's due to money management and risk reward calculations, not sure things.

So a year from now, the probability that $1 USD buys a) $1.43 CDN, b) $1.25 CDN, c) $1.12 CDN..... Who knows!!

I am wondering who is liquidating their Timely collection (shrug) Best offering I can remember for quite a while :applause:

No, a dealer in San Diego had most of those. I guess he decided to throw them in an auction.

I have a good friend who recently retired from a very large International Corporation and a large part of his job was staying on top of exchange rates and timing the billing cycles..... where a few percentage points could add up to a LOT of money. GOD BLESS...

Any thoughts if the Action #1 Supes story is trimmed (doesn't appear to be? but if it is from a bound volume.........?) THe AA 16 ---could this be a new member of the $100,000 club or is 6.5 still too far off for this book??

THe AA 16 ---could this be a new member of the $100,000 club or is 6.5 still too far off for this book??

It's quite possible with the way that some of the keys are able to generate not only premiums to guide, but also multiples to guide, especially when it comes to some of the lower grade copies. Not so sure about this one though since it is a mid-grade copy.

In my opinion, the Suspense 3 stands a better chance of being the newest member of the $100K club.

I think the AA 16 will sell below $100k. I'm guessing $75k

Well, if this turns out to be the case this would represent a pretty substantial downdraft on this book, as this would mean even be a large discount to guide.

Especially since other key GA books are able to fetch substantial premiums to guide in today's hot market, even non-hot less popular books like 'Tec 38 which is apparently going for well over guide now for both low grade and even restored copies according to the other thread. :o

Well, if this turns out to be the case this would represent a pretty substantial downdraft on this book, as this would mean even be a large discount to guide.

Especially since other key GA books are able to fetch substantial premiums to guide in today's hot market, even non-hot less popular books like 'Tec 38 which is apparently going for well over guide now for both low grade and even restored copies according to the other thread. :o

What did the Detroit Trolley last sell for? Although it was probably graded lower it was much nicer than this 6.5 and I wouldn't expect this one to fetch as much.

as a long timer, its "fun" to hear folks still refer to "relative to guide" pricing when it comes to keys... we all know the guide has little bearing or relevance these days, but still brings a smile to my face to here it :cloud9: