• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I need some advice regarding my comic theft - UPDATE : CAUGHT!

209 posts in this topic

SO did you actually get the books back, or are they holding them for evidence in a trial?

The books are in a pile on my desk to my immediate right at this very moment. :)

I wouldn't do anything with the books before you get the ok from the ADA. There are varying levels of theft crimes based on monetary values. They may need the actual books if/when the time does come for trial for value tied to the charged crime. I'd definitely discuss with the detective or the ADA first before selling the books.

SO did you actually get the books back, or are they holding them for evidence in a trial?

The books are in a pile on my desk to my immediate right at this very moment. :)

I wouldn't do anything with the books before you get the ok from the ADA. There are varying levels of theft crimes based on monetary values. They may need the actual books if/when the time does come for trial for value tied to the charged crime. I'd definitely discuss with the detective or the ADA first before selling the books.

Swick's correct, though in many places detailed photos may be acceptable as well.

Detectives showed up at the guy's house today. He tried to tell them his girlfriend got him the comics and when they asked him for his ID he tried to escape through another door of the house! The cop had to wrestle him to the ground (she said she broke a nail...lol) and he's now sitting in jail. Scumbag.

Apparently he has a couple other warrants out for his arrest, so I've done a good deed in pursuing this to the end.

Love it, love it, love it! Congrats Chip!

+1 and I'm happy you got your books back but please be careful. Who knows how this individuals mind works in regards to payback. Hopefully this helps him choose a better path.

This was already-paid-for merchandise, though. Half the people took refunds and the other half are waiting for me to send the books out. I can't wait another month.

The detective didn't say anything about holding the books back for evidence reasons at trial. She also knew I had to send them out ASAP and didn't say anything about it. I would think something would have been said to me about it. I need to send them to their owners.

+1 and I'm happy you got your books back but please be careful. Who knows how this individuals mind works in regards to payback. Hopefully this helps him choose a better path.

I appreciate the concern, but the perp doesn't know I was involved with the "sting" at all. The detective ended up contacting him herself (undercover) to verify he was in possession of the books and what his address was to have a look at them. She didn't identify herself until she was at his door.

As far as he knows I just filed a police report saying they were stolen.

For the books that were sold, the prices paid should be

acceptable valuation. Document fully.

For the other books, it would be advisable to hold on to them until after

the trial just in case the total value is a factor in the sentence.

It might be that the value of the books sold and the value of the total

books are numbers that both lie within the same range. Suppose

the sold = $2000 and the total = $3000, and the crime level X

is defined as stolen goods between $1000 and $5000.

I'm not a lawyer but i did stay at the Holiday Inn once-doesn't the accused have the right to confront the evidence? Haven't charges been dropped in cases where the evidence went missing?

Too bad you couldn't stand with the cops, kick him in the nards and say 'Now I have to repackage all these books, you $#*%! Do you know what a pain in the @$$ that is?!'

Seriously, heroic effort to catch this scumbag and get him off the streets. Your new neighbors should be throwing you a huge thank you block party too. Happy it all worked out for ya!

:headbang:

Be ready for his return…you know comic book villains do not stay locked up for too long.

In a more positive note…you should file a lawsuit and ask that he be castrated. He don't need his balls and we don't need him reproducing!

Just understand that this guy may walk if the ADA doesn't have the evidence he needs at trial.

Yep,if folks cant wait,get a refund out.Maybe the books will sell for a Epic Adventure price after all is said and done.