• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Its remotely worth mentioning to the others reading this thread about your Zap 6... gossip.gif

you're right... BUT FIRST... SCANS! Whoop Whoop acclaim.gif

Bought this from APEX as VG... 893whatthe.gif Thanks Don!!

zap4_1st.jpg

VG 893whatthe.gif? Sweet books man cloud9.gif

These arrived this morning (Don's the man):

Yellow Dog 1

2abd947e.jpg

Air Pirates Funnies 1

33fc717c.jpg

Also got a cracking copy of Jiz 1 (I'll not be posting that one for obvious reasons)!!!

Projunior...can't remember if we've seen this one yet...

projunior.jpg

Hmmm... I just noticed that this copy of Projunior has 1/2 the Inner Label Notes for Corn Fed Comics #1!? THAT's a bit disapponting... as though Kim Deitch self-published Projunior!? makepoint.gif

sign-rantpost.gif I have a FEW complaints about their Notes and smell a thread coming on over at STL...

A quick note:

My Donahue copy of PGX 9.2 NM- ZAP COMIX #6 came back w/ minor color touch noted on a BLUE LABEL (lucky), which while not unprecedented rather surprised me. In looking at the book NOW... it DOES appears a color-breaking stress mark (spine) that occurs in the pink portion of the book was touched up (with what?? possibly nail polish...)... will post scans this evening, but I gotta bolt. ~J

I's like to reply to my own post on the Williams Auctions

You must admit, his art is hot now. Check this out

http://www.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=620&Lot_No=23629

(link obsolete)

This Williams piece has an estimate of 3 to 5K and the biddings already up to $9,500!!

There's another Williams piece in this auction also.

I think there may have been some bogus bidding on these items. Both pieces were bid up to one notch below reserve. I know because both pieces didn't sell and ended up on the after auction "Buy Now" at the price just above the ending bid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Everyone,

Just to clear things up this is how the auction works. All items start at $1, 7 days before the live auction the reserves (if any) kick in. If an item is already bid above the reserve then the bid stays as it is. If an item is still below the reserve then the computer makes a bid that is one increment below reserve, that way the next bidder puts the item at reserve.

There's nothing "shady" about this it's in the front of the catalog and explained on the website. When you go to bid its says "Reserve, if any, will post on:xx/xx/xxxx".

Most auction houses do this, rather than just start an item at $50,000.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Jim Pitts

Underground Comix Consultant

Heritage Comics Auctions

www.Heritagecomics.com

juggle.gif

I's like to reply to my own post on the Williams Auctions

You must admit, his art is hot now. Check this out

http://www.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=620&Lot_No=23629

(link obsolete)

This Williams piece has an estimate of 3 to 5K and the biddings already up to $9,500!!

There's another Williams piece in this auction also.

I think there may have been some bogus bidding on these items. Both pieces were bid up to one notch below reserve. I know because both pieces didn't sell and ended up on the after auction "Buy Now" at the price just above the ending bid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Everyone,

Just to clear things up this is how the auction works. All items start at $1, 7 days before the live auction the reserves (if any) kick in. If an item is already bid above the reserve then the bid stays as it is. If an item is still below the reserve then the computer makes a bid that is one increment below reserve, that way the next bidder puts the item at reserve.

There's nothing "shady" about this it's in the front of the catalog and explained on the website. When you go to bid its says "Reserve, if any, will post on:xx/xx/xxxx".

Most auction houses do this, rather than just start an item at $50,000.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Jim Pitts

Underground Comix Consultant

Heritage Comics Auctions

www.Heritagecomics.com

juggle.gif

I guess I recind my earlier comment about Williams art being hot. I was the lead bidder on one of the pieces but it was still only a fraction of what the computer pushed it up to. Guess I'll have to read the auction terms more carefully. I did buy a high dollar item once on an after auction Buy Now from Heritage and did tell myself that "Well at least someone was willing to bid this price minus 100 dollars." As PT Barnum once said of me "There's a sucker born every minute." foreheadslap.gif

Special thanks jim1968, Dan Fogel, Jimmy Decker, Gutman, Comicwiz and eveyone else that made my brief stay in SAN DIEGO memorable. Enjoyed meeting everyone, dealing for comix, and tossin' back beers after the show.

I (finally) wrote a little about my fun experiences ...

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25899

THANKS AGAIN, justin2003 (oldmilwaukee6er on CPG)

My pleasure Justin -- it was great to meet you and hang a bit in San Diego. You definitely outdid me in terms of buying up some nice UG's, but this year I had just as much fun hanging out and taking in the weekend.

BTW: Great report... I'm still dragging my butt in getting mine out boo.gif

Appreciate getting the lowdown on the UG market from all of you that made SD, and also seeing your scans.

I like to keep my UG collection raw. Here's a recent acquisition, completing the terrific 4 issue Corben run on Fantagor. This ish has an interior color section printed on thick white stock.

fantagor2.jpg

I've just discovered CPG, and will join today.

Joseph - Great to see you again in SD! Sorry we only had lunch together!

Justin - Really nice to meet you, and help add to your collection!

For those that know "Sir Real Comix Fan" he was in SD as well.

All in all a great SD for selling, and buying!

yay.gifyay.giftakeit.gifyay.gifyay.gif

bumpit.gifbumpit.gif

Light reading for today... the Foolbert Printing Madness

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26080

The New Fogel Underground Guide is really coming out!

http://www.ugcomix.info/sponsor/Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike?-news.html

http://www.hippycomix.com/home.html

And the Underground scene at san diego...

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25899

Any new major UG purchases? Beuller?

With the launch of Fogel's Underground Price Guide drawing near (no really, this time it's true) I thought I'd give this thread a long overdue bump and share the pick of my Zaps (the last of which arrived yesterday):

ZAP8.jpg

ZAP7.jpg

ZAP6.jpg

ZAP5.jpg

ZAP4.jpg

ZAP3B.jpg

ZAP3A.jpg

ZAP2B.jpg

ZAP2A.jpg

ZAP1B.jpg

ZAP1.jpg

ZAP0.jpg

cloud9.gif

Sweeeeet run of head-shop fresh ZAPs Fandango! Really nice ZAP #1 Donahue.

I just blew my birthday money on a pair of FREAK BROS. #1 BLK TIRE Printings... (1) w/ orange (Kennedy 1st) in FN- 5.5 and (1) w/o orange (Kennedy 2nd) in possible VFNM 9.0 or better. Both are considered 1st prints in Weist (2000) & Fogel (2006) guides. **WILL POST SOON** In the meantime, here are a few purchases since last I posted...

YELLOW DOG #15

YD15_2.jpg

YELLOW DOG #24

yd24.jpg

AMERICAN SPLENDOR #3

as3.jpg

MR NATURAL #1 (1st)

natch1.jpg

Investment Quality SILVER AGE & BRONZE AGE Undergrounds

Undergrounds on EBAY

Great stuff, Rjpb, and a cool idea for a thread. Nothing rare about these two, but they are personal faves and clean enough for posting, so here goes.

First up is a Love comic definitely not for the kiddies, and one of the funnier funnybooks:

younglust.jpg

And let's not forget some of the classic back covers, such as this fave from Freak Brothers #2. For the record, I may have smoked, but I did not inhale...

Freak2.jpg

I thought this thread was stone age comics. I clicked onto it, and I think some board members were stoned. gossip.gif

Few will appreciate this book - but it is the 1st appearance of Wonder Warthog! It includes a full color splash page yay.gif

I apologize for the cropping of the scan, but the book is a little wider than my scanner.

I was thrilled to snag this on ebay - a couple of years ago a copy sold on ebay for over $250!! It may have been in a little better shape, but outside the ULC - this one is not bad, and it was a $19.95 BIN yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif - no photo and mislabeled as a paperback foreheadslap.gif

I realize many on these boards would flip past this in a dollar box - but for me, it was a grail.

bacc.jpg