• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another local comic shop closes down - Silver Snail Ottawa

20 posts in this topic

Stopped visiting my LCS 6+ years ago. It smelled like cat and they often failed on your pull list.

Too many options now for them to succeed unless they deliver the goods.

Just my 2 cents.

There's 3 or 4 shops in the Memphis metro, but only 1 has any back issues or gold/silver. The others deal in moderns and tabletop gaming more than anything.

The owner of the big shop and I recently talked about the business, and he says they're actually doing better now than 10 years ago..no danger of closing up yet.

The manager at that Silver Snail is a great guy, but they planted the seeds to their own demise:

- They kept very short hours (only open until 6, 7 on Fridays)

- They made no effort to buy vintage material, and their back issues were leftovers. 10 years ago, they had runs of major titles from 80's and up, but even then, nothing was ever boarded.

- The Snail was selling strictly comics, trades and books. The competitor down the street sells cards, games, toys, clothing, and manga-type stuff. They're a bunch of clowns as far as comic stores go, but they get in the 20-30 year old geek crowd because of the variety of junk they're peddling.

There are two places where I live. One is only open on Wednesday and sometimes saturday despite hours showing otherwise. It also has so much stuff that you can't really get anything without boxes toppling over and have to ask the owner to get it for you and he'll have it on a different day. This applies to back issues too which are kept at his house as there is no room for them there because of all the toys.

The reason for all the stuff is he orders the entire catalog and gets everything new that comes out. So much stuff he told me there is like 3 stores worth of product in the back you cannot get to.

If he doesn't sell he is okay with that too. It just keeps accumulating.

Yet despite all of that it feels to be the more popular store in that town

There are two places where I live. One is only open on Wednesday and sometimes saturday despite hours showing otherwise. It also has so much stuff that you can't really get anything without boxes toppling over and have to ask the owner to get it for you and he'll have it on a different day. This applies to back issues too which are kept at his house as there is no room for them there because of all the toys.

The reason for all the stuff is he orders the entire catalog and gets everything new that comes out. So much stuff he told me there is like 3 stores worth of product in the back you cannot get to.

If he doesn't sell he is okay with that too. It just keeps accumulating.

Yet despite all of that it feels to be the more popular store in that town

Doesn't sound like the best business model...accumulating unsold stock.

When I traveled up north I never really thought much of the Silver Snail chain.

I use to stop by the one in Toronto when I traveled there for work, particularly at their old location on Queen Street.

I stopped popping in.

The new location is pretty narrow space and if there are a few people in there, can be pretty tight while trying to look at back issues.

What irks me is that the back issues have no grades assigned, only prices and often inflated ones at that. To look books over or to request to have their 'high end' books looked at can be a bit of a pain.

The last time I was there, I brought up a few issues, showing them some flaws for a few books and was told they don't haggle. The price was the price. I wasn't asking for a huge discount either, just a little something, they didn't budge. I left them at the counter.

I don't think back issues are their primary source of revenue though, so probably not a big deal to them.

I was coming here to post this.

I'm one of the few lucky ones... there were 4 comic shops within a 10 min drive from my house. After the Snails closing, I still have 3.

Having said that, the Snail is/was my least fav of the 4. FineCollector pointed out some issues above. They didn't have any statues, any Silver/Bronze books, keys/graded, or cards (if you're into that sort of thing). They really limited their audience.

It's still sad to see one go. Never like seeing that happen.

When I traveled up north I never really thought much of the Silver Snail chain.

I use to stop by the one in Toronto when I traveled there for work, particularly at their old location on Queen Street.

I stopped popping in.

The new location is pretty narrow space and if there are a few people in there, can be pretty tight while trying to look at back issues.

What irks me is that the back issues have no grades assigned, only prices and often inflated ones at that. To look books over or to request to have their 'high end' books looked at can be a bit of a pain.

The last time I was there, I brought up a few issues, showing them some flaws for a few books and was told they don't haggle. The price was the price. I wasn't asking for a huge discount either, just a little something, they didn't budge. I left them at the counter.

I don't think back issues are their primary source of revenue though, so probably not a big deal to them.

I think they don't negotiate because every other Wednesday they have 60% off back issues. Could also account for the regular pricing. Their supply is picked through though, every time I look for a specific issue I can't find it. All I've ever gotten are some random X-Men books for 60% off.

Sad to see Silver Snail close after a long run at 25 years especially closing during the current :applause: boom time in comicdom that should last at least another 2 years. Perhaps it was due to Kin Jee getting close to age 60 for retirement or end of Silver Snail's lease? I can understand why Silver Snail did not want to actively buy back issues, as they take up too much retail :wishluck: space and 90% do not sell except in the $1 bin.

Silver Snail Toronto is far better than the Ottawa location. Both the Ottawa Snail and the other Ottawa store down the street seemed to be only interested in selling new comics and whatever merchandise Diamond was offering each week. Neither Ottawa store had back issues, other than stuff they ordered last week that didn't sell.

Will comic shops finally go down for the count?

Sadly yes. Who would want to own a comic shop?

In my neck of the woods (NYC/brooklyn) I think it is more about the rent than anything else as so many shops have closed that the market is hardly flooded. I would like to think that a comic shop that also sells a broad variety of cool collectibles (old toys, etc.) and graphic novels/indie stuff to appeal to all genders and ages might do ok in my area if it does not emphasize men in tights in its windows in my area, but the rents are so insane nowadays, probably not. when a 600 square foot store on a block that would provide enough traffic for success costs $7500 a month, you need to sell A LOT of funny books and toys and what not. (ok, there is a $450 square foot space for rent for "only" $4K in that area too).

I cannot fathom how Midtown Comics is making money at its downtown location given its size. It is a second floor store, so that makes it cheaper, but still, a lot of space by manhattan standards. It would not surprise me if their rent is well over $25K a month. I assume the Midtown original location has an amazing lease that allows them to survive.

I live in Los Angeles. A comic book shop opened near my house 3 blocks away about 2 years ago. Loved it. I was able to walk there anytime and pick up books. However, nobody was ever in there when I would go. 3 years later, the shop closed down and it is now a hair salon.

Silver Snail Toronto is far better than the Ottawa location. Both the Ottawa Snail and the other Ottawa store down the street seemed to be only interested in selling new comics and whatever merchandise Diamond was offering each week. Neither Ottawa store had back issues, other than stuff they ordered last week that didn't sell.

poor customer service, large location with terrible bins, sales every week that make no sense.

Toronto has a pretentious comic employee problem. Silver Snail is in the top 2 worst in Toronto.