• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

sorry to hear this-- is there any video surveillance of the storage area? seems like it would take several trips to grab this much stuff. I would tempted to install one of those wild life motion video capture devices inside on of my lockers if I had this much expensive stuff in it.

Another angle or possible people of interest might have a storage locker near yours-- and at some point saw you putting the stuff in there and then decided to move it into their own locker instead.

Not sure if this was touched on but how long between trips to the locker before you noticed the stuff missing (or was it a broken lock?)?

anyway-- good luck finding your stuff.

sorry to hear this-- is there any video surveillance of the storage area? seems like it would take several trips to grab this much stuff. I would tempted to install one of those wild life motion video capture devices inside on of my lockers if I had this much expensive stuff in it.

Another angle or possible people of interest might have a storage locker near yours-- and at some point saw you putting the stuff in there and then decided to move it into their own locker instead.

Not sure if this was touched on but how long between trips to the locker before you noticed the stuff missing (or was it a broken lock?)?

anyway-- good luck finding your stuff.

Good points. I wonder if someone else got a new locker that day. Pretty easy move if so?

In the wonderful world of incompetence, I know the name and phone number of who stole the books. His employer has his address. Despite repeated promises from the Sheriff's office to contact me, they have yet to do anything. Meanwhile, my estimate of $100,000 worth of books are in the hands of an apparent meth addict. .... me but the world is full of stupid people who don't give a .....

Sorry for being a drama queen. I'm just a little fed up with this.

Do what Chip did. Go down to the sherriff's office and talk to the supervisor.

In the wonderful world of incompetence, I know the name and phone number of who stole the books. His employer has his address. Despite repeated promises from the Sheriff's office to contact me, they have yet to do anything. Meanwhile, my estimate of $100,000 worth of books are in the hands of an apparent meth addict. .... me but the world is full of stupid people who don't give a .....

Unbelievable.

Escalate it until someone does something.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, escalating it with the police is a great idea. Maybe they will taze you.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, escalating it with the police is a great idea. Maybe they will taze you.

Politely escalating gets you a polite tazing.

Addendum:

Report you heard yelling-something about I'm THE ONE WHO STOLE THOSE COMICS SO I'M THE ONE KEEPING THE MONEY!

Then the gunshots

So you have talked to the contractor and he says it's his employee?

My brother had a similar incident with his baseball card collection several years ago with a contractor doing some electrical work in his house. He had these cards tucked away inconspicuously in one of his bedroom closets, not even close to where the electricians were working or should have been. Lo and behold the cards come up missing. Kind of a no-brainer coincidence so he confronted the contractor about it and of course at first they denied it, so he contacted the police, but also threatened to write the local newspaper about his experience, (this was a fairly well known contractor in the area). Apparently the contractor decided he didn't need the bad publicity or maybe being investigated for other thefts so the cards magically reappeared with a hefty apology and something about how this was the work of one lone worker who was subsequently fired.

My brother had a similar incident with his baseball card collection several years ago with a contractor doing some electrical work in his house. He had these cards tucked away inconspicuously in one of his bedroom closets, not even close to where the electricians were working or should have been. Lo and behold the cards come up missing. Kind of a no-brainer coincidence so he confronted the contractor about it and of course at first they denied it, so he contacted the police, but also threatened to write the local newspaper about his experience, (this was a fairly well known contractor in the area). Apparently the contractor decided he didn't need the bad publicity or maybe being investigated for other thefts so the cards magically reappeared with a hefty apology and something about how this was the work of one lone worker who was subsequently fired.

Yeah, unfortunately these stories are too familiar. We never let people work on the house unless one of us is home. If we unexpectedly can't be home, we cancel on them (using an excuse other than that we won't be home), despite whatever complaints they may make. Seems paranoid, but we've had friends and neighbors who have suffered these kinds of thefts.