• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

I'll post the whole story when get home.

I wonder, is there any legal implication to posting the whole story?

Roy.

Good point.

Cheetah,

Glad you got your comics back.

You probably should wait until the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons get convicted and sentenced before posting the whole story.

There is no legal issue I'm aware of reporting what happened. Newscasts and newspapers do it daily doh!

Roy.

Good point.

Cheetah,

You probably should wait until the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons get convicted and sentenced before posting the whole story.

There is no legal issue I'm aware of reporting what happened. Newscasts and newspapers do it daily doh!

One is an impartial independent writing up a story, the other is someone who is directly involved.

There was an incident here a few years ago where Mark Zaid posted something on the chat forum when he was taking Dupckak to court and Dupkack used it against him to tie the case up.

I just wanted to make sure Jeff's bases were covered but the legal eagles would know better than me.

Roy.

Good point.

Cheetah,

One is an impartial independent writing up a story, the other is someone who is directly involved.

There was an incident here a few years ago where Mark Zaid posted something on the chat forum when he was taking Dupckak to court and Dupkack used it against him to tie the case up.

I just wanted to make sure Jeff's bases were covered but the legal eagles would know better than me.

no difference in Jeff reporting details or an independent. Like jay said, leave out names and all is good

A lawyer that is trying a case making a statement is a different situation

When you are done celebrating and have the books back at your house, slide some boards between the first book and the box handle hole, so you don't have a sun tan on those books in the shape of a box handle in 10 years!

Great news!

Did the police say how long it would be before they will release the books back to you?

You mentioned he was selling them for $3 each, do you know how many he sold before the police got there?

Very happy to hear you got them back!

72CC48DE-13E4-406E-A206-9D2D9436FCFA_zpsm3ownim6.jpg

22 boxes now in police custody. The perpetrator is likely going up for 10-20 years.

maybe 5 years probation and no time served unless he has prior offenses.

For grand theft? These comics were worth around $100,000.

"Class C Felony Theft in Kentucky. Theft is a Class C felony if it involves property valued at $10,000 or more. (Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 514.030(2)©.) For a Class C felony, an offender can face a term of incarceration of not less than five years and not more than ten years, plus a fine of at least $1,000 but not more than $10,000, or double the amount of gain from the commission of the offense, whichever is greater. (534.030(1) and 532.060(2)©.)"*

* http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/crime-penalties/petty-theft-kentucky-penalties-defense

Selling the comics might be an additional charge. Breaking into the storage locker might be a third.

Of course, he may plead to a lesser offense, but let's hope there's at least some jail time!!!

72CC48DE-13E4-406E-A206-9D2D9436FCFA_zpsm3ownim6.jpg

22 boxes now in police custody. The perpetrator is likely going up for 10-20 years.

maybe 5 years probation and no time served unless he has prior offenses.

For grand theft? These comics were worth around $100,000.

"Class C Felony Theft in Kentucky. Theft is a Class C felony if it involves property valued at $10,000 or more. (Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 514.030(2)©.) For a Class C felony, an offender can face a term of incarceration of not less than five years and not more than ten years, plus a fine of at least $1,000 but not more than $10,000, or double the amount of gain from the commission of the offense, whichever is greater. (534.030(1) and 532.060(2)©.)"*

* http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/crime-penalties/petty-theft-kentucky-penalties-defense

Selling the comics might be an additional charge. Breaking into the storage locker might be a third.

Of course, he may plead to a lesser offense, but let's hope there's at least some jail time!!!

It may also fall under Burglary and not simply theft, depending on from where the items were stolen.

Probation? So if he was working on doing some repair work at a jewelry store and stole $100k of diamonds, he'd only get probation?

The problem is going to be in getting the prosecutor to understand the value of the item. S/he may look at it and say well each one is worth 2.95 because that is what it says on the book so it's not worth that much. With Diamonds its easy, with comics its much harder.

Probation? So if he was working on doing some repair work at a jewelry store and stole $100k of diamonds, he'd only get probation?

The problem is going to be in getting the prosecutor to understand the value of the item. S/he may look at it and say well each one is worth 2.95 because that is what it says on the book so it's not worth that much. With Diamonds its easy, with comics its much harder.

It's not hard to document what each item cost.

And Comics are really popular right now at an all time high. It won't be a hard sell.

I see it now cheetah. Case goes to trial and the judge says let me see one of these comics. Comments how he had these things as a kid tosses the slab on his podium, it cracks the case and the old book detaches from the cover.

You freak out and are arrested after you charge the judge.