• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

I really need to get a picture of the guy and have a Judge Dredd #1 cover recreation made. That would tickle me to no end.

That's the story, long and short. I can't believe I found the books thanks to a Thunderbolts issue that I KNOW I am the only person who has ever had one graded. I will say that even though I don't really care much for CGC, having graded and uniquely numbered books is a great way to track them when they are stolen.

I know you know how incredibly lucky you are. Happy you had a positive outcome, even if you had to do most of the detective work yourself.

If you want that Dredd cover done...contact Gary Martin. He's a pro artist who does a phenomenal Dredd and he works very inexpensively. What you want done is probably a couple hundred bucks and will look like a million.

He did this piece for me:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=741475

DREDDTROPHYWALL%20Gary%20Martin_zpsnofc60bp.jpg

Hi "cheetah"

Been off the boards for a few days and I just read all about it. I believe I've bought a couple of books from you in the past so I was very happy to hear that the police in your area recovered your comic collection. Great news. You're one of the good guys on these boards. A happy ending to a stressful situation! :whee:

We've had a rash of stolen book stories folks so stay tuned for the next one. A future prison inmate is out there in the wings this very moment!

So glad you got your books back Cheetah. The bad thing is that now you will have to find a new place to store your collection, or really up the security of your barn.

The law works in mysterious ways. In the early 90's a former friend of my family stole two of my dad's guns and a crossbow that another friend kept at my house. At the time we did not know who took them. My dad reported the theft to the police.

My sister and I started to do a bit of detective work. Sis was going about checking the local pawn shops. This was before Ebay and Craig's List and pretty much the internet. One of the guns was a kind of rare 12 gauge and the chances of someone having one like it for sale were slim to none. After many calls, my sister located a pawn shop with the gun that matched the description in a city about 40 miles away. She and my dad went to look at it and dad recognized it.

Dad went back to the detective in charge of his case and gave him the evidence. The police went with my dad to the pawn shop and got the thief's name and dad got his guns back, but only after my dad paid the pawn shop the $75 that they had paid to the thief. This all happened on a Friday afternoon.

The police then picked up the thief and took him to the station, but did not place him under arrest as the judge that had to issue the arrest warrant would not be in until Monday. They released him and told him not to leave town.

This guy was a neighbor and family friend who used to hunt with us. He had even borrowed the guns, that he stole, a few times to go hunting by himself and had always brought them back. We had trusted him.

After the police let him go he called me and was actually crying and wanted me to have my dad drop the charges. I told him it was out of my hands.

When Monday rolled around the guy was no where to be found. He must of figured that stealing guns was a kind of serious thing and he would be doing some time. He fled the state and we believe he went to Florida. He never was brought to trial.

Well we were only out $75 and some legwork time. My other friend never got his crossbow back as the thief sold it to someone else and not the pawnshop.

A year ago, unrelated to the above story, I had some items stolen from my farm. One of the items was my chainsaw. So after reading through this thread I have a little bit of hope. I filed a report with the serial number and all, but I doubt I will ever see it again.

. . ., I went to Costa Rica to buy some property. While I was gone, he wanted to get me deck work done and I said it was okay since it seemed like an easy project.. . .

I'm glad you recovered you collection.

With 20+ years of home building\improvement history, I've always told folks, be home when a contractor is in your house.

Glad you got your books back Cheetah .

Someone mentioned it earlier. We need a web site where people can do a search for stolen comics . At least stolen CGC books since they have a traceable serial number . Or would that just lead to more people removing them from the encapsulations ?

What is every ones thoughts about this ?

Someone mentioned it earlier. We need a web site where people can do a search for stolen comics . At least stolen CGC books since they have a traceable serial number . Or would that just lead to more people removing them from the encapsulations ?

The search function is your friend!

www.stolencomic.com

The search function is your friend!

www.stolencomic.com

:D