• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

Unreal..

Would love to meet these types of people in a dark alley somewhere.. :censored::slapfight::censored:

Hopefully you'll be taken care of by your insurance co. Would be nice to see you reclaim some of them at least. :wishluck:

:gossip: He got the books back ... read the whole thread.

(thumbs u

I just noticed that too. I read quite a few posts and was getting angrier by the second. Went to jump off the page and saw someone congratulate him.

That's amazing.. 100k recovery.. wow.. :applause:

Unreal..

Would love to meet these types of people in a dark alley somewhere.. :censored::slapfight::censored:

Hopefully you'll be taken care of by your insurance co. Would be nice to see you reclaim some of them at least. :wishluck:

:gossip: He got the books back ... read the whole thread.

(thumbs u

I just noticed that too. I read quite a few posts and was getting angrier by the second. Went to jump off the page and saw someone congratulate him.

That's amazing.. 100k recovery.. wow.. :applause:

Yeah, it ended about as well as you could hope. Books back, apparently undamaged.

I should add that I'm a proponent of trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I really don't know how this could have turned out any better so I'm not going to knit-pick the result looking for troubles. I got $100,000+ of books returned securely in three days. If that's not kicking , I don't know what is.

Maybe it's a good idea taking the time to register all CGC books, although a demanding job if you have a lot of books. For example I can see you have Wings Comics #1 Universal cert 0013705002. Using Google and searching for "0013705002" I get this page as the primary search result:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/awards/WinningComicDetail.aspx?AwardSetComicID=2124535&AwardSetID=62359

Thus it may take seconds to find and contact the owner.

Furthermore these guys removed the books from the holders, but as all (old) books are unique in cover fading, markings and centering etc it did not help much:

Comic Conman - a true crime tale of comic books, corruption, and a $9 million vanishing act

"The books were deslabbed to throw investigators off the trail, but even without the barcode, the cover gave it away. Collectors search for flawless comics, but it’s the imperfections that give them an identity, and this imperfection placed Blevins at the scene of a crime."

So it's not easy to sell such books, unless some criminal buyer ordered the job... Currently meth guys may not be much aware of such problems, but maybe they too will learn in the future...

And congrats again, truly amazing to read that you got the books back without being damaged.

But what about the chainsaw?

The perp is being questioned today. I believe the chain saw is tops on the list. Wings Comics #1 CGC 9.4 is somewhat further down.

They'll probably test the chainsaw on the Wings #1 to make sure it's still in good working order for you. lol

The perp is being questioned today. I believe the chain saw is tops on the list. Wings Comics #1 CGC 9.4 is somewhat further down.

Glad you got your books back, and undamaged, yet. But such an experience would lead me to think twice about the not-so "secure" storage on your property, along with letting local businesses tinker around on said property, with apparently less than reputable "help", while you're out of pocket/out of country.

Is it possible to have a trusted neighbor/friend/relative hang out and be the always-there occupant of your place, when you have to be away?

Good luck and hope the charges stick.

Glad you got your books back, and undamaged, yet. But such an experience would lead me to think twice about the not-so "secure" storage on your property, along with letting local businesses tinker around on said property, with apparently less than reputable "help", while you're out of pocket/out of country.

Is it possible to have a trusted neighbor/friend/relative hang out and be the always-there occupant of your place, when you have to be away?

Good luck and hope the charges stick.

I volunteer. :grin:

I should add that I'm a proponent of trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I really don't know how this could have turned out any better so I'm not going to knit-pick the result looking for troubles. I got $100,000+ of books returned securely in three days. If that's not kicking , I don't know what is.
:applause: It's awesome. I'm happy for you, man.

Maybe it's a good idea taking the time to register all CGC books, although a demanding job if you have a lot of books. For example I can see you have Wings Comics #1 Universal cert 0013705002. Using Google and searching for "0013705002" I get this page as the primary search result:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/awards/WinningComicDetail.aspx?AwardSetComicID=2124535&AwardSetID=62359

Thus it may take seconds to find and contact the owner.

Furthermore these guys removed the books from the holders, but as all (old) books are unique in cover fading, markings and centering etc it did not help much:

Comic Conman - a true crime tale of comic books, corruption, and a $9 million vanishing act

"The books were deslabbed to throw investigators off the trail, but even without the barcode, the cover gave it away. Collectors search for flawless comics, but it’s the imperfections that give them an identity, and this imperfection placed Blevins at the scene of a crime."

So it's not easy to sell such books, unless some criminal buyer ordered the job... Currently meth guys may not be much aware of such problems, but maybe they too will learn in the future...

And congrats again, truly amazing to read that you got the books back without being damaged.

Great read, thanks for the link.

Just an update for those interested. I got all but a couple of boxes of books back today. The Sargent and a detective were kind enough to follow me home and help unload them. I can see where a few books are missing but have been told I will be getting another three boxes back on Monday. The two biggies, Jumbo 10 CGC 8.0 and Wings Comics 1, CGC 9.4, wee both in the load from today. There were also a few books I didn't realize were missing.

The perp has an attorney so he didn't get questioned. The Sargent, however, feels he's got a slam dunk case and is taking it to a Grand Jury in District Court as early as September 1.

Funniest thing today was that they wanted to take pictures of my deck to show it was painted white. Since the perp showed up at the buyer's place covered in white paint, the detective said that was what they called 'a clue!'

No sign of the chain saw.

Did they look for his prints inside the storage area where they had no business being? Or maybe partial footprints in paint etc

Did they look for his prints inside the storage area where they had no business being? Or maybe partial footprints in paint etc

:roflmao: Not sure it's a real question that the guy was at the property.

He wasn't supposed to be in the locked shed though. A print there would sink him.

They didn't want to look for prints because what he touched most were books and the way the lab looks for prints can damage the item. Given that it was a shoot as to which ones he touched, the didn't 't want to cause damage to any valuable books. I'm pretty sure the text exchange through his cell phone number and physically handing boxes of books to the seller is pretty tight.

Oh, yeah, leaving a voice mail for the Sargent basically saying he could help get the stuff back, doesn't help him claim innocence.

They probably don't have the top notch forensic scientists assigned to the case at this point.

Why was CSI Kentucky cancelled?

No one has dental records, and they all share the same DNA.

Sorry Cheetah, but now that the books are home safe and sound, I felt it was ok to crack jokes. I'll see myself out :(