• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15

20 posts in this topic

I just bought this original owner Af15 on Monday (thank you Lord that he didn't try to sell it on ebay or through an auction house.... I made an offer and he took it).

What do you think?

Everything is solid at the staples. Small spine roll (I think I can get a half grade bump if I remove the spine roll). light water stain. Nice colors. A couple dimples that can be pressed out. NO MARVEL CHIPPING! The interior pages look to be fairly white although it'll probably get a OW-W designation.

image_zpseyei7ela.jpg

image_zpsi7gukyqq.jpg

image_zpszvi39bx4.jpg

image_zpshztpmjh8.jpg

Great copy, and story !

I'd have to agree with some of the others though regarding the water stains (which also appear to be on the front cover). CGC does hammer for those, and with them it looks to be a 3.5-4.0 to me (closer to the 4.0 if that isn't water staining on the front).

-J.

I agree, stain goes through the book, but other than that the book is structurally sound, good pq, great eye appeal.

Below 4.0 seems very unlikely to me. Only one way to know for sure....best of luck.

(I am still sticking my neck out on a possible 5.0.)

CGC really punishes books with stains like that.

3.5 with the caveat of great eye appeal.

That stain won't look as bad after a press/clean.

Also, CGC of course, discounts the grade for a stain, but the impact and the amount of the discount is larger if the book is otherwise high-grade and less so when the book is otherwise a mid/lower grade book i.e. a stain like this on an otherwise 9.8 book may take it all the way to a 6.0. A stain like this on a 3.5 may simply make it a 3.0.

My two cents.

I'm going higher 4.5-5.0 post press.

That's an awful prominent stain on the back cover for a 5.0 with all that other creasing.

I think 4.0 is tops. Wouldn't be shocked with a 3.5 given the overall wear with the stain included. A press won't remove the most prominent of the creases which break color or are deep into the fibers.