• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

You also have zero children to support.

I believe you are incorrect on this point, Bob has a child to my knowledge.

As for the rest of your post, I can't wait for the reply by the Blazing Stormgod. This should be fun. popcorn.gif

Totally incorrect. Bob does have children (pl. #1) -- I'm not sure whether they are all "dependents".

Regardless... I think a lot of people thought those criticisms of how shows run are dead on target -- I'm certainly one of them.

However, to be fair, I'm not sure they really are relevant to Dave's shows -- to me they were more about the slightly bigger shows and what can be done to improve them (along the Big Apple lines).

Now that I think about it, he may be responsible for supporting his wife'd children and they may be step children. I know he has at least a daughter, but I'm not sure if she's still a dependent.

Are you saying Bob's old? blush.gif

My criteria have always been, in order:

1: accurate grading

2. a lot of HG books(raw and slabbed)

3. scans on websites

3. price negotiation without slamming

4. price

200. friendliness...don't really care about this but would buy from someone I liked over someone I didn't if the same book same grade was involved.

So my favorite dealers

1. Bob Storms meets all criteria

2. Sulipa meets all criteria except the scans, but who needs them when he's grading

3. Metro will provide scans but are often high priced and inflexible when negotiating

4. Superworld is lax on grading at times and hardly any scans. Only buy books listed as NM/NM+ from them nowadays

100,675. Mile High...they don't meet any of the criteria

People I'd like to do business with

1. Goldust Comics...tons of great stuff but no scans are the only reason I haven't purchased numerous books from the website

2. Vintage Collectables...great stuff but everything is always sold

3. Esquire...his books are just crazy high grade and all seem to be keys. If I ever have a spare hundred thousand or so, that Showcase 4 is mine.

Appreciate the FB and am looking to correct the scan situation soon....until the site upgrade I'll be happy to send scans of whatever you're after - a lot of Forumites have gone this route.

Dave I support 3 children and a wife.

My business is run where I look for the most efficient ways to advertise. I don't think living off my customer list and flyers are the most current up to date ways to promote a show.

I no longer do your shows for the exact reason you state - Law of diminishing returns. Meaning, I don't make enough money to warrant doing your show since as a businessman my time is worth something. Driving 5 hours back and forth for a one day show to do $1000 if I'm lucky can be better spent with my family.

Your right, I should stop ranting about your show since I no longer do it. And as usual your response is typical of why conventions keep shrinking. Keep up the good work!

And, same of Harley, he seems to have the books I want, at 2X what I'm willing to pay.

Harley would get a lot more of my business if that 2X thing weren't true.

Not that he's hurting because he doesn't get much of my business that is. Just wish his prices were a little lower.

Yes, I understand that you sometimes have to pay more to get more.

I will pay Harley prices because he has found GA books for me that I could never find in a given grade.

My business is run where I look for the most efficient ways to advertise. I don't think living off my customer list and flyers are the most current up to date ways to promote a show.

I no longer do your shows for the exact reason you state - Law of diminishing returns. Meaning, I don't make enough money to warrant doing your show since as a businessman my time is worth something. Driving 5 hours back and forth for a one day show to do $1000 if I'm lucky can be better spent with my family.

Your right, I should stop ranting about your show since I no longer do it. And as usual your response is typical of why conventions keep shrinking. Keep up the good work!

1. What does this have to do with New York City where I practically offered free space for you to try the show which is all comic books and not a lot of non-comic book filler? and free passes for your customers? Easier to curse the darkness I suppose. Thanks for the sarcasm no matter how misguided.

2. Why is it correct for you to try to use your advertising dollars efficiently but I should throw mine around nilly-willy? At least be consistent.

3. I do not know where you are getting the fliers and mailing list canard. I use them. Should I alienate my present customers because I imagine that there are many more around the next corner? I use my budget differently every show. I skip a couple of Wizard ads after ten years of them and its the fall of the comic book world. I am not at the point where I can turn my nose up at a $1000 day and then complain about other peoples business practices over nickels and dimes. It's amazing how many dealers are geniuses when they have a good show but otherwise its the promoters fault. You can rant all you want. I am just asking for a little accuracy in my case.

Lastly...

You and others should stop deluding yourselves that we are in a growth industry and new customers are there to step forth when a collector stops collecting.

The Comic Book "pie" is shrinking every day. The amount of people who care about comic books is shrinking every day. Most of us in comics are working harder to make the same money as five years ago.

Before the nit wit squad jumps in....

All differences of opinion between the blazing one and myself are amicable. I wish there were more dealers like him and he is welcome at my shows anytime.

1. What does this have to do with New York City where I practically offered free space for you to try the show which is all comic books and not a lot of non-comic book filler? and free passes for your customers? Easier to curse the darkness I suppose. Thanks for the sarcasm no matter how misguided.

2. Why is it correct for you to try to use your advertising dollars efficiently but I should throw mine around nilly-willy? At least be consistent.

3. I do not know where you are getting the fliers and mailing list canard. I use them. Should I alienate my present customers because I imagine that there are many more around the next corner? I use my budget differently every show. I skip a couple of Wizard ads after ten years of them and its the fall of the comic book world. I am not at the point where I can turn my nose up at a $1000 day and then complain about other peoples business practices over nickels and dimes. It's amazing how many dealers are geniuses when they have a good show but otherwise its the promoters fault. You can rant all you want. I am just asking for a little accuracy in my case.

Lastly...

You and others should stop deluding yourselves that we are in a growth industry and new customers are there to step forth when a collector stops collecting.

The Comic Book "pie" is shrinking every day. The amount of people who care about comic books is shrinking every day. Most of us in comics are working harder to make the same money as five years ago.

Before the nit wit squad jumps in....

All differences of opinion between the blazing one and myself are amicable. I wish there were more dealers like him and he is welcome at my shows anytime.

I didn't really realize that anybody honestly believed we were in a "growth industry".

And, same of Harley, he seems to have the books I want, at 2X what I'm willing to pay.

Not that he's hurting because he doesn't get much of my business that is. Just wish his prices were a little lower.

I will pay Harley prices because he has found GA books for me that I could never find in a given grade.

screwy.gif

screwy.gif

thumbsup2.gifscrewy.gif

Dave I support 3 children and a wife.

I did not know that you had signed up for the whole package at your age. 893whatthe.gif

Good luck. thumbsup2.gif

although it can't be too financially straining if you can turn down a days work for a grand.

As we all know purchases AND sales make a show. A grand in sales should equal a grand in purchases for future sales. If you could do that every day it would be $730,000 in business a year. Never mind residual catalog and web-site sales.

I can see where you would be taking a pay cut. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

plus I know that things have gotten a lot tougher for you now that you bring two wheelers of books to a show. Maybe you can get one of your dependents to help out at the Javits. You signed up so late that you should be about 6000 feet from the entrance. Maybe you can get a cab. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Says the man shelling 5X guide for 9.4 BA Horror books poke2.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif I knew someone was going to call me out on that one. You low balled me on the guide percentage. Thanks for being discreet. tongue.gif

You got me confused for the old Sterling. I only do that for htf 9.6 copies now. foreheadslap.gif

Can't beat this for $50 though...now I gotta sell my 9.6. Gotta get out of upgrade hell.

1566922-journeyintomystery10.jpg

1566922-journeyintomystery10.jpg.5b0ec57e1a437ec609815d9fbafb8bbc.jpg