• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite issue from X-Men #94-#143?

38 posts in this topic

The treasured run is iconic to anyone who collects comics.

Now this may be sacrilegious, but I wanted to know which issue is your favorite and why?

In fact we could do 2 favorites: one obvious and one not-so obvious.

Obvious: X-Men #141 - Start of the DOFP storyline and introduction to one of my favorite minor characters: Pyro.

Not-so obvious: X-Men #132 - The realization that Wyngarde is actually Mastermind was well done IMO. That last panel though is my favorite Wolverine panel of all time.

Very tough to pick a favorite or favorites.

However...

Obvious: #129, the start of the Hellfire Saga

Not so Obvious: #143 Kitty Pryde vs the demon. Still gives me goosebumps when I read it today!

One of the greatest runs in the history of comics.

Man, it's hard to pick from that run. As a Wolverine fan, there's really nothing like the last panel of 132. You finish that issue and just imagine what kind of hell he's about to unleash.

The UXM run from 94-175, heavily weighted to the 94-143 run, is my favorite run in comics.

I quit comics in the seventh grade because "commix were for kids" I started to buy them again a couple years later and the first New X-Men book I found was issue 111.

It blew my mind. I thought it was the first New X-men book because I had been buying comics for three months and hadn't seen any other X-books, and the story kind of re- introduced all the characters,

It was a great issue to start with. It has a classic cover and will always be the most special X-men book for me.

I have been a UXM fan since I got into comics, and I have to say I cannot wait to get up to this run. I started in the 260s, and have only read from around 141 on. Now that I finally have the full run in reprints and singles I'm working my way through from 1.

This is one of the first runs I put together, I have always loved 109 and 138, the retelling of the X-Men's history with Byrne's art!

I love #109 too… (thumbs u

Greatest comic book cover that has ever been drawn, and the origin of Wolverine begins to unravel.

Absolutely love this book.

Jim

I read X-Men 140 as a Classic X-Men in elementary school, and that ended up being the definitive Wendigo for me. I collect Marvel busts from Bowen Designs, and they put out a Trimpe-inspired Wendigo bust that I turned up my nose at it. It's not the "right" version.

Always loved these!

#141 is my favorite (classic cover, classic story & art).

But I've always been a big fan of #115, with the Savage Land, Ka-Zar, Sauron & Wolverine taking the big double-page spread claw-swipe at Sauron! Great stuff. Very, very hard to pick just one.

Some of the post-Byrne issues are fantastic as well. Really enjoy #159 (Dracula) & #160 (Belasco).

Very tough to pick a favorite or favorites.

However...

Obvious: #129, the start of the Hellfire Saga

Not so Obvious: #143 Kitty Pryde vs the demon. Still gives me goosebumps when I read it today!

One of the greatest runs in the history of comics.

I love them all. Especially, the Dark Phoenix Saga.

But #143 stands out for me, too. While it might not be as popular with most collectors ( as reflected by the prices), I feel it's a gem of a story. It is a coming of age story of Kitty Pride, showing her spunk. It's a side that I'd love my daughter to show.

I love this run. I still re-read it every few years (although I usually read the two Essential B&W PBs, not my precious, minty floppies).

When I started collecting in 1983, the first issues of the Claremont/Byrne run I went after were the Alpha Flight appearances, because they were just starting out in their own team book around that time, and I was a fan.

So I really dig 109, 120 and 121. (Honorable mention to 140.)

137 for me. When reading that issue when it hit the stands I kept thinking they're going to get out of this somehow and then when Jean died, it was a gut punch for me. 132 is up there as well 2c