• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

476 posts in this topic

what about slab damage?? Do you take returns for that??

I imagine when he said.."it aint my problem" applies to SCS also.

Unless the outer shell is broken.?

FD quote..

I offer NO returns on CGC books for any other reason except the case is broken.

Did I read that right?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zlappy-

what about slab damage?? Do you take returns for that??

I imagine when he said.."it aint my problem" applies to SCS also.

Unless the outer shell is broken.?

FD quote..

I offer NO returns on CGC books for any other reason except the case is broken.

Did I read that right?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zlappy-

I'll take the book back if there is SCS if the buyer has paid for insurance and the damage happened in transit between me and the buyer. If you pack well, SCS shouldn't be a problem. I have never (knock knock knock) had a CGC book damaged in shipping, but then again, I overpack CGC books.

But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a potential return when somebody disagrees with the grading on a book that I didn't grade . If you want to return the book because the book is no longer what the grade says it is because of SCS or a broken case, that's one thing. If you want to return the book because you disagree with CGC's grade, sorry.

what if I just want to return it period?

and if you say "no", what if I were a regular customer who spends 1000s a year with you?

If you still say "no" to that, then I think you are just posturing.... or dont have any repeat big customers...

Of course, as I said above, unlike most dealers, I'll still let you return a CGC book b/c we all know that sometimes their grading is off too.

as a side issue, I always thought that many ebay sellers say that CGC books are non-returnable as only a way to cut down on shipping costs in those cases where a buyer just wants to return a book for minor reasons. To try to make as many sales as possible STICK once they are consummated.

If I were a power seller I sure as heck would want to increase my percentage of sticky sales. And relying on the certitude of a CGC label seems a reasonable posture to take since by and large, we all agree that they are professionally impartial, as opposed to buying raw books where we KNOW theres a high probability that teh sellers has overgraded the comic. Early on I think this was inevitible and fine... but now with SCS, it might be a little tilted toward the sellers favor.

Absolutely not. I offer NO returns on CGC books for any other reason except the case is broken. If you have a concern with the grading of the book, or anything else with the book for that matter, that isn't my problem. I didn't grade the book, nor did I make any claims as to anything about the book. If you think a book is overgraded when it comes back with a 9.4, for example, your complaint is with CGC, not with me.

It is certainly a reasonable posture to take, and the attitude expressed by FlyingDonut perfectly reflects it. However, that is not my attitude.

I want all my customers to be satisfied 100% of the time. The books I am selling are typically four to six figure books. I want return customers. If someone spends $30k on one of my books, I absolutely want them to be happy with the transaction. Frankly, I don't expect many returns so why not offer it as an added bonus.

Scans do not tell all. Scans can be manipulated. Scans do not always reflect the beauty or ugliness of a book, notwithstanding the grade established by CGC. I practice what I preach. In the perfect world, I would want the opportunity to return the book. Well, Esquirecomics.com will be as close to the perfect world as possible. If you buy a CGC book from me, and then you don't like it, just return it (of course, if you do it more than twice I may not sell to you again).

The buyer, of course, buys for all expenses associated with the return of the book, which must be in the same condition (which presumably won't be difficult since most of my books are CGC'd).

Hi Mark,

Just caught this thread today. It's good to see another dealer/collector looking out for the long term best interests of the hobby. As I've said all along, DISCLOSURE is the only thing that distinguishes a reputable dealer from an unethical one. Whether the book is in a slab or not is irrelevant.

So I (and I know you do too) still want to hear other dealers go on the record as to their stance on disclosing pressing to the collecting community. The lack of any response by ANY other dealers, to me, is a tacit admission of guilt and a stain on the hobby.

To the dealer who currently presses books, here's what I say - "What's done is done, take a stance now to disclose the books that are in your inventory that have been pressed (or altered in any way, for that matter). If there are reasons why you are not disclosing pressing, ask yourself, WHY AREN'T YOU, IF NOT ONLY FOR THE $$$?"

QC

Fine. I will be the first to go on record. I don't press any books, and I will fully disclose any pressing that I know of frustrated.gif on any book I sell.

ALLRIGHT!!! One down, 500 to go!!!! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

You'll be getting your honorary membership into the no-pressing dealer's club in a few weeks, until then, "Make Mine Press Free!!!"

Another interesting item from the early discussions on pressing were the posts which showed know dealer EBAY Ids purchasing equipment such as Dry Mount presses etc. - Does anyone still have the links to that information??? Just curious.

I would very much like to see this information reposted.

Has anyone been able to find this prior posting? I did not have any luck.

Mark,

I'm curious how you were able to get CGC to confirm that your More Fun 52 was in fact the Rockford copy. I called CGC about this book when Heritage had it for sale in the 5.5 unrestored holder, and they swore to me it wasn't the Rockford copy!!

Another interesting item from the early discussions on pressing were the posts which showed know dealer EBAY Ids purchasing equipment such as Dry Mount presses etc. - Does anyone still have the links to that information??? Just curious.

I don't recall more than a single post showing one dealer (Metro) buying a press...anyone else remember anything beyond that?

Mark,

I'm curious how you were able to get CGC to confirm that your More Fun 52 was in fact the Rockford copy. I called CGC about this book when Heritage had it for sale in the 5.5 unrestored holder, and they swore to me it wasn't the Rockford copy!!

I honestly don't know the details. The seller of the book, who was not the one who slabbed it as the 5.5 but who bought it from the person who did (and I know who that person is and have had discussions with him), spoke with CGC at my request before I purchased it. I wanted to confirm that indeed it was the Rockford before the transaction was complete. He confirmed it with CGC and Steve B. confirmed that with me.

My guess would be that when you spoke to someone they were merely reading from the grader's notes, which would have said nothing about Rockford for the 5.5 even though it is the same copy that was previously the restored 6.5.

Yes, it was Metro who bought the press, and Hammer was the one who pointed out the auction.

Now it all makes sense. The last time I had the good fortune of seeing Steve and Vince up in NYC in November, Vince and I went to lunch at a Thai restaurant. As I recall, Vince made the choice.

Thai = Asian. Asian = Chinese. Chinese = laundry (particularly in the NYC region).

Vince and Steve secretly have a Chinese laundry business on the side pressing shirts for dry cleaning!!!!!!! That's how they make their money to buy so many great HG books! poke2.gif

popcorn.gif

Now it all makes sense. The last time I had the good fortune of seeing Steve and Vince up in NYC in November, Vince and I went to lunch at a Thai restaurant. As I recall, Vince made the choice.

Thai = Asian. Asian = Chinese. Chinese = laundry (particularly in the NYC region).

Vince and Steve secretly have a Chinese laundry business on the side pressing shirts for dry cleaning!!!!!!! That's how they make their money to buy so many great HG books! poke2.gif

popcorn.gif

Gee, that post offended me, and I'm a WASP!

popcorn.gif

and He's a lawyer............ blush.gif

back on topic - i seem to recall that our own Fantastic Four was very intrigued with who was making "Press" purchases last year. he may remember other names if there are any............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I swear there was more than one EBAY dealer ID posted, I know there was a lot of speculation. I would also bet that some other dealers obviously had enough sense not to use their commonly known IDs after Metro was outted.

popcorn.gif

and He's a lawyer............ blush.gif

back on topic - i seem to recall that our own Fantastic Four was very intrigued with who was making "Press" purchases last year. he may remember other names if there are any............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where is Fantastic_Four? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it was Metro who bought the press, and Hammer was the one who pointed out the auction.

popcorn.gif

I can't tell if your joking for the sake of joking or if it's because you don't believe Metro bought a dry press on Ebay. I remember Hammer posting the link to the auction, and Metro was definitely the buyer. Email Hammer. Maybe he saved the auction.

Old post about buying pressing equipment

popcorn.gif

Ok, I was, of course, kidding, and if I truly offended anyone, I offer my apologies and regrets. 893naughty-thumb.gif

But you never heard of the expression "Chinese Laundry"? It was not derrogatory. Thats what they were called in the 1970s and 1980s on Long Island where I grew up. Oh well. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyway, back to the thread topic. If anyone else does recall any dealers who purchased presses besides Metro, please do post their names (or ebay usernames).

And if Metro didn't buy a press despite Hammer's allegation to the contrary, then Vince or Steve by all means set us straight. Of course, neither of you are under any obligation to do so. And I am not going to be so bold to put you on the spot and ask why you purchased it or whether you are using it on your books. Nevertheless, your decision to, or not to, post on this thread will enable the board members to reach their own conclusions.