• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

476 posts in this topic

[

You can read or skip the 2 long winded posts by me (I actually put some thought into those puppies though)

Yeah, right! I dictated those two diatribes to you over the phone after you called whining about "writer's block" ! Sheesh, talk about rewriting history! stooges.gif

screwy.gif Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Steve B. had this to say in his latest published interview that is posted elsewhere on the board:

EG: What is your personal opinion about pressing a comic book prior to grading submittal?

SB: Who cares? Really, when you get down to it, dealers and smart hobbyists have been doing it for years and years. So the Certified Collectible's Group helps let the cat out of the bag, wants to keep Friesen under their umbrella because they feel his company would be a good fit, and the biggest complainers are the guys who don't want the collectors to have a level playing field. Taking a bend or fold that does not break color out of a comic book is not a bad thing. It is not like you are adding glue and/or color touch, using something artificial, to bring paper closer back to LOOK like it's original state. You ARE bringing it back closer to its original state. I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

Is anyone else disappointed with the tone and content of this response? Frankly, I find it somewhat trivializing and insulting and not reflective of the professionalism Steve typically conveys.

"Who cares?" Steve, I think you well know that quite a few of us care. I am personally unwilling to accept the premise that past conduct should be deemed acceptable simply because it escaped notice for a period of time. I am certainly not surprised that the "top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this." They (and I would love to know who "they" are that have been doing this for years, Steve? popcorn.gif) have profited on the naivety of all the rest. I am sure they are laughing all the way to the bank. We're not naive anymore now though, and many of us think there is a "problem with this."

Setting aside the debate of whether it is restoration (and Steve's description sounds like it to me, but ...), I am very disappointed that Steve did not address how disclosure fits into the equation. And I certainly don't see how those of us on the boards who may fit within the category of "biggest complainers" don't want collectors to have an even playing field. This statement seems to be completely contradictory to what we do want, i.e., the ability to render an informed decision.

Mark, I love you, but:

photo050.jpg

CGC has said over and over and over and over and over and over again they do not consider pressing restoration. They's also said repeatedly that they can't always detect it. This

I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

is pretty clear. Just what, exactly, are you looking for them to say?

Just what, exactly, are you looking for them to say?

Hey FD! I said what I wanted to say in my pressing post over at the General thread covering Steve's interview. I'm not joking or jesting. This is really what I believe and the concpet being brought up really does give me pause.

Mark, I love you, but:

photo050.jpg

CGC has said over and over and over and over and over and over again they do not consider pressing restoration. They's also said repeatedly that they can't always detect it. This

I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

is pretty clear. Just what, exactly, are you looking for them to say?

I am not challenging CGC's stance on the pressing as restoration question. I was commenting on the tone and insinuation of Steve's response with respect to how he views this debate, particularly as to why pressing is a good or bad thing, which is completely independent from whether it is restoration or not. Nor, again, do I understand what detectability has to do with whether full disclosure should be made. If I were able to create a "restoration" procedure that could not be detected, then the rationale would be its ok and disclosure is unecessary, particularly if I could get away with it for years? 893whatthe.gif

And what's with the dead horse surrounded by poodles and giant golf balls? confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh yea, and I still love you too Dan! hi.gif

I am not challenging CGC's stance on the pressing as restoration question. I was commenting on the tone and insinuation of Steve's response with respect to how he views this debate, particularly as to why pressing is a good or bad thing, which is completely independent from whether it is restoration or not. Nor, again, do I understand what detectability has to do with whether full disclosure should be made. If I were able to create a "restoration" procedure that could not be detected, then the rationale would be its ok and disclosure is unecessary, particularly if I could get away with it for years?

Esquire - is this the post you referred to over in the Steve Interview thread????????

No, look up before that.

It's a merry go round? I still don't get it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Its supposed to be a dead horse. Jeez. Nobody gets abstract art. grin.gif

Ok, I can get that, but what's with the poodles and sheep dressed up as golf balls? screwy.gif

Yea, yea, I know. sign-offtopic.gif

Is anyone else disappointed with the tone and content of this response? Frankly, I find it somewhat trivializing and insulting and not reflective of the professionalism Steve typically conveys.

Not surprised or disappointed at all. When another board member started a post about the number of books he had that were damaged by the slab CGC designed, Steve's reply was "That sucks". CGC does not care about any of the collectors on this board or their opinions, unless of course you are a large dealer paying $1000's of dollars in slabbing fees per year. If they cared, the flaws in the design of the slab would be resolved, and graders notes / letter grades would return.

Not surprised or disappointed at all. When another board member started a post about the number of books he had that were damaged by the slab CGC designed, Steve's reply was "That sucks". CGC does not care about any of the collectors on this board or their opinions, unless of course you are a large dealer paying $1000's of dollars in slabbing fees per year. If they cared, the flaws in the design of the slab would be resolved, and graders notes / letter grades would return.

You idiotic post is not even worth addressing.

Other then to say.. "Your post is idiotic."

Ze-

It sounds to me that you are certainly not surprised but I would hope you, and everyone else, would be disappointed. Perhaps even angered.

Let us always keep in mind that CGC is a retail business. That means we, the customers, do have power to impact its decisions and policies. And I would hope that CGC uses these boards to evaluate how its customers' react to its policies and statements or perceive its services, and would make the appropriate corrections where needed. If it doesn't, then it may find the business go elsewhere. Perhaps not today, but tomorrow is an another day.

You idiotic post is not even worth addressing.

Other then to say.. "Your post is idiotic."

Ze-

I think it is worth addressing and I can understand why he made those comments, although I certainly disagree. Obviously Steve cares very much about "slab damage", pressing issues and the concerns of the board members. But these are difficult issues for him to discuss. CGC has stated their views about pressing, so what else is there to say? Steve's additional comments about pressing back up CGC's stance on the matter. What, do you want him to say that "Yes, pressing IS restoration, but we cannot detect it"? That type of comment would make CGC look bad. It would be stating that we cannot detect all restoration, and THAT service is one of the main reasons CGC is in business. So you'll NEVER hear Steve mention that pressing is restoration OR that it should be disclosed. It just won't happen, don't wait for it.

Regarding slab damage, that's another story. I'm sure this bothers them a great deal, but they don't have the solutions to fix it at this time, so they'll downplay the matter and continue to try to improve their holders.

People may not be getting the answers they want out of SB, but I see it as him being a loyal company man and doing his best to keep his companies' image in the best light. -----Sid

I know, I know. And I want to announce it, but I am still waiting for formal permission to post the contents. I am trying to obtain that today. frustrated.gif

I am now offering "Pressing" services:

Shirts: $ 1.00

Pants: 2.75

Sweaters: 2.75, Wool, 1.00 more.

PM me for Bulk saving on all you "pressing needs"

I think it is worth addressing and I can understand why he made those comments, although I certainly disagree. Obviously Steve cares very much about "slab damage", pressing issues and the concerns of the board members. But these are difficult issues for him to discuss. CGC has stated their views about pressing, so what else is there to say? Steve's additional comments about pressing back up CGC's stance on the matter. What, do you want him to say that "Yes, pressing IS restoration, but we cannot detect it"? That type of comment would make CGC look bad. It would be stating that we cannot detect all restoration, and THAT service is one of the main reasons CGC is in business. So you'll NEVER hear Steve mention that pressing is restoration OR that it should be disclosed. It just won't happen, don't wait for it.

Regarding slab damage, that's another story. I'm sure this bothers them a great deal, but they don't have the solutions to fix it at this time, so they'll downplay the matter and continue to try to improve their holders.

People may not be getting the answers they want out of SB, but I see it as him being a loyal company man and doing his best to keep his companies' image in the best light. -----Sid

Sid,

Just because it might be next to impossible to prove 100% of the time that a book has been pressed doesn't mean that they should not consider it to be restoration. confused.gif How to do they without a doubt that a book has been cleaned, just because the book smells like it has? "CGC states that they do not feel pressing is restoration" yet they are going to be offerring pressing services so that you can potentially improve the look and grade of your book? makepoint.gif Is there another reason someone would have there books pressed? In case I missed it before has CGC (NGC whatever) come out and said WHY they would be offering pressing as a service? What are the benefits to the owner of the book, company mission statement?

SCS damage - as mentioned in the STL thread the response was dissappointing, almost suggesting that it was not an issue yet it is a regular topic on these boards. Why have they recently changed the inner well on Modern slabbs or were at least testing a new design? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry Sid I'm not directing this common at you but I get tired of all the excuses and CGC apologists when important issues get raised. I can understand toeing the company line but if you want to keep your company "in a good light" then direct answers to some of these questions would be helpful. Have I mentioned before that I hate this topic. tonofbricks.gif