• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,091 posts in this topic

Somebody was complaining over in the Non-Four Color Dell thread that THIS thread wasn't getting enough love.  Fine, I'll see what I can do.  I'll shoot for 5-6 covers a day, and go in order.  Some of them have been posted before, the collection has holes as late as issue #76, and I'm mostly not looking for copies in grade.  Nevertheless, this should keep the thread busy a few weeks.

We start with issues #5 and #6:

LT_005.jpg

LT_006.jpg

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Somebody was complaining over in the Non-Four Color Dell thread that THIS thread wasn't getting enough love.  Fine, I'll see what I can do.  I'll shoot for 5-6 covers a day, and go in order.  Some of them have been posted before, the collection has holes as late as issue #76, and I'm mostly not looking for copies in grade.  Nevertheless, this should keep the thread busy a few weeks.

We start with issues #5 and #6:

LT_005.jpg

LT_006.jpg

I take full responsibility for that complaint (though more a morale boosting rant :shy: )Glad to see this Thread bumped. These characters, Bugs especially, have been on everything you can possibly imagine as merchandising. And are still in their original (continuous since inception)form (cartoons) in a current show 'Wabbit' on Cartoon Network. If you count Porky that's over 75 years in production! Only Marvel (Cap, Subby), Superman, Batman, and Disney characters can boast those accomplishments too.

Love number six. Has always been a 'cult' fave of mine. The cover with Elmer pointing both barrels at a cool as cucumber Bugs is so representative of the mad cap cartoons that gave them 'life'. Hard to find in 5.0 or better. I passed on a CGC 8.0 from Metro years ago. Regret it ever since :boo:

On February 11, 2017 at 0:08 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, he got me thinking about them, too, but I've only picked up a few.  This one's totally OT (sorry!) but it's pretty cool. 

image_zpscjmi00k2.jpeg

Now that is a RARE Pinback Tony. I've never seen that one. I'm surprised GaTor hasn't tried to talk you out of it. Centaurs are rare but that might be the only one of those pins left.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And finish today's lot with #15 and #16.  Tomorrow will continue without any gaps at all, at least.

LT_015.jpg

LT_016.jpg

I'm loving that #15. I'm a big fan of Christmas covers and that one is a doozie. Bugs looks like he might have been hitting on the mistletoe pipe...