• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

And #21 and #22.  Tomorrow we'll get 23-25, and then you'll see the biggest gaps in my run.

#22 is very unusual, with no Bugs other than the cameo on the side.  I think #9 (which I don't have) is the only other cover that doesn't feature Bugs.

LT_021.jpg

LT_022.jpg

16 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And #21 and #22.  Tomorrow we'll get 23-25, and then you'll see the biggest gaps in my run.

#22 is very unusual, with no Bugs other than the cameo on the side.  I think #9 (which I don't have) is the only other cover that doesn't feature Bugs.

LT_021.jpg

LT_022.jpg

Interesting observation, and an aside to one you and I have called out before: Porky was Warners first breakout cartoon star. He was rivaled by Daffy soon after, but Bugs eventually became the face of the franchise. Porky and Bugs' shared dominance of the LTMM comics reflects that, but the mystery of mysteries will be why Daffy was largely absent from the 40's comics covers. 

I know I have no clue why Daffy was so absent... most of the early LTMM's don't even have Daffy in them.  It's just a bizarre gap.

As we ponder that mystery of life, let us continue with the covers.  Here's #23 and #24:

I think somebody was mentioning football covers, either here or another thread...

LT_023.jpg

LT_024.jpg

Here's #42 and #48.

I've had the #48 for over 30 years now; it was the first 1940's issue I ever owned.  Not the first LTMM issue, mind you; the first 1940's comic, period.  So it holds a very special place in my collection: it's the book where I found out it was actually possible to even own comics that old; that I could eventually see bits of comic history going back almost to the start of the hobby.  It's been a long road since then, but getting that book was the first solid step I ever made along it.  (We'll get to my very first issue of Looney Tunes eventually; it was awesome to get but I thought of that as a one-off bit of luck, not a repeatable feat.)

LT_042.jpg

LT_048.jpg

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Here's #42 and #48.

I've had the #48 for over 30 years now; it was the first 1940's issue I ever owned.  Not the first LTMM issue, mind you; the first 1940's comic, period.  So it holds a very special place in my collection: it's the book where I found out it was actually possible to even own comics that old; that I could eventually see bits of comic history going back almost to the start of the hobby.  It's been a long road since then, but getting that book was the first solid step I ever made along it.  (We'll get to my very first issue of Looney Tunes eventually; it was awesome to get but I thought of that as a one-off bit of luck, not a repeatable feat.)

LT_042.jpg

LT_048.jpg

Wow, congrats on still owning your first golden age purchase! :applause:Nice when a story for a book can come with marathon posts. 

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And here's #50 and #51.  Still a handful of holes to go, but from here on out things are pretty darn solid.

LT_050.jpg

LT_051.jpg

And anyone who has read any of my posts for a good amount of times knows this Bugs Christmas cover is among my top 10 covers of any genre. Classic Cover worthy IMHO. 

Onward with

10 hours ago, sagii said:

Wow, congrats on still owning your first golden age purchase! :applause:Nice when a story for a book can come with marathon posts. 

I've sold on quite a few books, but that one is not going anywhere.  Way too much sentimental value at this point, if nothing else.

Onward to #52 and #53:

LT_052.jpg

LT_053.jpg

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Great stuff Eric! Even Robot Man is catching the Looney Tunes bug! :D

Love the purple Valet/Hollywood star cover.

This might not be the most popular thread, but I'll keep going as long as I know some people are enjoying it!

Here's #58 and #59:

LT_058.jpg

LT_059.jpg

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Great thread.  The hobby isn't just super hero books.

Amen to that ( and I LOVE my superheroes) but I adore my Looney Tunes! I think a lot peek in here, even if they don't participate. The characters are Americana, pop culture icons of the first order. This Thread will expose books though popular in the 40's and 50's ,now largely ignored ( except keys , War and high grade nice cover issues)on the Collectors market . 

Im certain, not every hero collector who are now also 'Duck guys' we're not always 'Duck guys'. 

Build it and they will come. Carry on Eric......:applause: