• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Just got a decent frame for this so thought I'd post it again. The last pics may have been 'lost' anyway in the Photobucket fiasco.

This maybe a Wall Banner, I don't know, but the likeness' used on it correspond with other LTMM merchandise I've seen (and own :shy:) from around '41. It's so early in the franchises history that the name 'Looney Tunes' is not used on it only' Merrie Melodies'. And Bugs and Daffy still rising stars are presented smaller than Porky, Elmer and (gasp) Petunia and Sniffles:whatthe:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very cool Corey! Nice and graphic. Something tells me it might be cartoon related rather than comic book related. Thus the omission of "Looney Tunes". The parachute suggests maybe early wartime era. You need to change the background to black to make it really "pop". Plus, if it were me, I'd put my pinback buttons on either side of it in the frame...

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool Corey! Nice and graphic. Something tells me it might be cartoon related rather than comic book related. Thus the omission of "Looney Tunes". The parachute suggests maybe early wartime era. You need to change the background to black to make it really "pop". Plus, if it were me, I'd put my pinback buttons on either side of it in the frame...

Appreciate the feedback AND suggestions sir. Black would work better, and the pinbacks would look nice too.

...to be continued ...

7 hours ago, sagii said:

Just got a decent frame for this so thought I'd post it again. The last pics may have been 'lost' anyway in the Photobucket fiasco.

This maybe a Wall Banner, I don't know, but the likeness' used on it correspond with other LTMM merchandise I've seen (and own :shy:) from around '41. It's so early in the franchises history that the name 'Looney Tunes' is not used on it only' Merrie Melodies'. And Bugs and Daffy still rising stars are presented smaller than Porky, Elmer and (gasp) Petunia and Sniffles:whatthe:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How heavy and how big is it?  It looks to me, depending on the material, like it could be a child's blanket.

And is that Owl Jolson I see on it as well?

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

How heavy and how big is it?  It looks to me, depending on the material, like it could be a child's blanket.

And is that Owl Jolson I see on it as well?

It feels like silk, but all tagging is gone. It's approx 18.5 x 20.5. Some fraying on the edges but still in overall nice condition. eBay win years ago. 

And that does appear to be Mr. 'I love to Singa' himself :)

4 hours ago, sagii said:

It feels like silk, but all tagging is gone. It's approx 18.5 x 20.5. Some fraying on the edges but still in overall nice condition. eBay win years ago. 

And that does appear to be Mr. 'I love to Singa' himself :)

Hmm.  If it's thin material and that size, possibly it was a handkerchief or neckerchief or something along those lines.  But I'm just guessing.

25 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Hmm.  If it's thin material and that size, possibly it was a handkerchief or neckerchief or something along those lines.  But I'm just guessing.

That is probably a more accrate guess. 

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A filler copy, even by my low standards, as it's missing the back cover.  But it's firmly early enough that I'll take a filler copy happily for now!  9 pages of Walt Kelly in this one, so extra happy to have it:

Looney_Tunes_004.jpg

:golfclap:Sensational! SO early in the run and scarcely offered for sale. Cool book in ANY shape. Congrats! Funny how Dell was still utilizing Sniffles on the covers.

6 hours ago, sagii said:

:golfclap:Sensational! SO early in the run and scarcely offered for sale. Cool book in ANY shape. Congrats! Funny how Dell was still utilizing Sniffles on the covers.

And... there are two variants on this issue, apparently.  Here's the cover from the GCD, the word "Comics" is different.  You can just barely see a color difference where the larger word used to be on my cover.  I don't think this one has been documented before; as soon as the GCD is up and running again I'll add it:

LTMM004_GCD.jpg

Wow, never realized that. B|

Now I'm trying to recall which version I've noticed most, and if say the larger logo seems unfamiliar. 

Thanks for costing me a few more bucks down the road (:

5 hours ago, sagii said:

Wow, never realized that. B|

Now I'm trying to recall which version I've noticed most, and if say the larger logo seems unfamiliar. 

Thanks for costing me a few more bucks down the road (:

A quick look at heritage shows 16 sales (although some of those may be the same issue repeating); 3 are small logo compared to 13 with the large.  So my impression is the large logo is noticeably more common, but the small logo isn't insanely rare in relative terms either.

I LOVE discovering undocumented variants like that.

59 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A quick look at heritage shows 16 sales (although some of those may be the same issue repeating); 3 are small logo compared to 13 with the large.  So my impression is the large logo is noticeably more common, but the small logo isn't insanely rare in relative terms either.

I LOVE discovering undocumented variants like that.

For sure, thanks for doing the leg work!

Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (Apr. 30th)

Always happy to post on this date annually in honor of my favorite fictional character. Thought i'd dig into the Looney Tunery and share a Bugs item for the occasion: Here's a Matchbook (not sure of the date) larger than average (4'' in length) with the iconic Hare. I love how the matches have 'Cartoons' emblazoned on them! I've also included a link with the calendar of other National Day dates, and the origins of this one. Enjoy Wascally ones!

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/days-2/national-bugs-bunny-day-april-30/

IMG_3927.JPG

11 minutes ago, sagii said:

Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (Apr. 30th)

Always happy to post on this date annually in honor of my favorite fictional character. Thought i'd dig into the Looney Tunery and share a Bugs item for the occasion: Here's a Matchbook (not sure of the date) larger than average (4'' in length) with the iconic Hare. I love how the matches have 'Cartoons' emblazoned on them! I've also included a link with the calendar of other National Day dates, and the origins of this one. Enjoy Wascally ones!

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/days-2/national-bugs-bunny-day-april-30/

IMG_3927.JPG

What's up Doc :banana:

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Love these Dell Giant painted covers.  

bugs_zpss6kqudx0.JPG

:applause:Beauty,  thanks for sharing! 

The Looney Tunes giants Halloween covers are all pretty much masterpieces .