• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:
7 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Just checking in to see if all is the same...I'm alive and well across the street.

Marty Mann

I rarely ever "cross the street"... Howdy Marty!

Last time I did, they seemed to be in midst of meltdowns from multiple posters. 

As mentioned before my current sigline is in honor of this recent Warner Archive Collection release: Porky Pig 101.

This five disc set features all the famous Pigs early Black and White shorts in chronological order. Lots of commentary options from noted animation scholars, and appearances by Daffy Duck and a host of some now forgotten early Warner Bros cartoon characters. 

"That's all (of em) folks"! :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Anyone here pick up the LTMM  #2 on Heritage last week? I snagged the #7 and will post cover and interior shots when it arrives hopefully next week.

That would be yours truly. Missed the Clink 3,5 copy a few weeks before,  thought now or never with this copy. Usually only turns up in low grade taped and torn copies.

2 hours ago, sagii said:

That would be yours truly. Missed the Clink 3,5 copy a few weeks before,  thought now or never with this copy. Usually only turns up in low grade taped and torn copies.

Great book; I was actually surprised there wasn't more bidding on both as they rarely come up for sale at all. I think Christmas Eve may have muted the bidding. 

It would be great if you could post interior shots when you receive it.

19 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Great book; I was actually surprised there wasn't more bidding on both as they rarely come up for sale at all. I think Christmas Eve may have muted the bidding. 

It would be great if you could post interior shots when you receive it.

Are you asking me to..(gasp)crack a slab?:whatthe:

I usually am content with most of my gold books staying in slabs because so much of it is (public domain and availbe) on digital sites to see. But the Looney Tunes like Disney, Marvel, Archie gang and DC characters are still in 'production" today so copyrights make digital copies almost non existant. But i guess its the only way ill be able to read this one.

Decisions, decisions..hm

32 minutes ago, sagii said:

Are you asking me to..(gasp)crack a slab?:whatthe:

I usually am content with most of my gold books staying in slabs because so much of it is (public domain and availbe) on digital sites to see. But the Looney Tunes like Disney, Marvel, Archie gang and DC characters are still in 'production" today so copyrights make digital copies almost non existant. But i guess its the only way ill be able to read this one.

Decisions, decisions..hm

Oh sorry I forgot the #2 was slabbed; the #7 was not. Yes that will be a tough decision!

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Spotted this going through my collection today; beat but complete.  I think I grabbed it in a dollar bin back in the 80's.

And, on a completely different subject:  ordered the Porky Pig 101 collection, thanks for the heads up there!

FC_0088.jpg

That is one of the more desirable covers (Sci-Fi aspect), and still a gem!

You're welcome on the Porky dvd set. A must have for any animation/geek culture fan imho.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, sagii said:

That is one of the more desirable covers (Sci-Fi aspect), and still a gem!

You're welcome on the Porky dvd set. A must have for any animation/geek culture fan imho.

It arrived today, time to pull out my copy of the Beck/Friedwald LT/MM guide and annotate what disk I can find the cartoon on...

I can't be the only one who would happily repurchase the Looney Tunes if they would just give us a definitive chronological set.  I think at this point I've got a bit over half the Looney Tunes/ Merrie Melodies on DVD, either official releases or actual good quality PD collections (which are scarce, but there are a couple).  But trying to track them in order can be an epic pain, and there are obviously massive holes.  Not that I feel a desperate need to watch all the Buddy shorts in order, but I would love the chance to do so once in my life...

Edit:  Just glanced at Amazon.  Note to self:  Hold onto those Uncensored Bosko collections for now, they're not cheap these days...

Edited by OtherEric

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It arrived today, time to pull out my copy of the Beck/Friedwald LT/MM guide and annotate what disk I can find the cartoon on...

I can't be the only one who would happily repurchase the Looney Tunes if they would just give us a definitive chronological set.  I think at this point I've got a bit over half the Looney Tunes/ Merrie Melodies on DVD, either official releases or actual good quality PD collections (which are scarce, but there are a couple).  But trying to track them in order can be an epic pain, and there are obviously massive holes.  Not that I feel a desperate need to watch all the Buddy shorts in order, but I would love the chance to do so once in my life...

Edit:  Just glanced at Amazon.  Note to self:  Hold onto those Uncensored Bosko collections for now, they're not cheap these days...

No, you wouldn't be the only one (:

I have the complete 'Golden Collection' boxed sets from a decade or so ago, Bugs Bunny: Superstar, this Porky release and a few others (no bootlegs though).

Though i may have to breakdown on bootlegs to view the notorious 'Censored 11' eleven Warner 40's shorts that are banned from distribution and airing (for being deemed too offensive for today's PC standards) since 1968!!!!

The one i MOST want to see is the cult classic 'Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs'(1943), obviously a parody of the Disney classic with a black cast, complete with classic Jazz music. 

1943-wb-coal-black-title-card.jpg

Edited by sagii

I actually think there's a distinction between "bootleg" and "collection of public domain material"; but I get that there's a lot of overlap.

I actually saw Coal Black (and Tin Pan Alley Cats) in the theater 8 or 9 years ago.  There is a lot to like and a lot to hate in Coal Black; I do think it's pretty clear Clampett's intentions were good at the time.  He actually fought with the studio to use African-American artists on the soundtrack, for example.  But some of the elements are horrible.

The Censored 11 are a very mixed bag; some just haven't aged well but have brilliant elements.  Others are some of the most disgusting things I've ever seen intended as entertainment. 

I should have some actual covers to post here in a few days, by the way.  Books are on the way.

Edited by OtherEric

So I'm not a big LTMM collector but I admire them and have noticed how rarely the early issues come up for sale. So when LTMM 7 went up at Heritage on Christmas Eve I thought a deal might be in the offing and it was. The book arrived this week and is quite interesting. While I haven't read it yet I looked through some of the interior and it is as interesting as I thought it might be. Bugs doesn't get top billing; that's the Porky story but he does appear twice. First in a story with Elmer and then by himself. While I didn't shoot a picture of it; Sniffles and MaryJane follows Porky and then another story before Bugs even appears. Bugs looks pretty scrawny too in the story.

The last artwork in the last two stories is really interesting nd I've take a few few shots below. I'm not sure if these were based on WB cartoon shorts but they sure are interesting.

Enjoy.

tn_LTMM7Cover.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int1.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int2.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int3.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int4.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int5.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int6.jpg

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

So I'm not a big LTMM collector but I admire them and have noticed how rarely the early issues come up for sale. So when LTMM 7 went up at Heritage on Christmas Eve I thought a deal might be in the offing and it was. The book arrived this week and is quite interesting. While I haven't read it yet I looked through some of the interior and it is as interesting as I thought it might be. Bugs doesn't get top billing; that's the Porky story but he does appear twice. First in a story with Elmer and then by himself. While I didn't shoot a picture of it; Sniffles and MaryJane follows Porky and then another story before Bugs even appears. Bugs looks pretty scrawny too in the story.

The last artwork in the last two stories is really interesting nd I've take a few few shots below. I'm not sure if these were based on WB cartoon shorts but they sure are interesting.

Enjoy.

tn_LTMM7Cover.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int1.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int2.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int3.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int4.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int5.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int6.jpg

:applause:Nice, thanks for posting the interiors . Interesting that Porky was still dominating the stories inside (even Elmer) at this issue in the series. That undersea story in very interesting ( even curious placement in the book). Good stuff. 

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Enjoy.

tn_LTMM7Cover.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int1.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int2.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int3.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int4.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int5.jpg

tn_LTMM7Int6.jpg

Pat, Patsy, and Pete is definitely not based on a LT/MM short, the separate copyright R. S. Callender is a giveaway if nothing else.  The highlight of that series is the last few issues it appears in, 20-24, where Walt Kelly takes over the series. 

I don't recognize Charlie Carrot, but with the Leon Schlesinger credit at the top it's probably based on either a cartoon or some other project from the studio.

Neat book, in any case!  I've got 5, 6, and 8 but not the #7.