• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

245 and 246.

And so we come to the end of the run.  I hope people have enjoyed seeing the covers like this, sorry I've got holes in the early part of the run.  But I'm happy to have what I have.  Looney Tunes is, I think, without a doubt the easiest book published every single month of the 1950's to put together a run of; but actually doing it is still a bit of an achievement.

I'll be back as soon as I or somebody else gets some more books to post here, but this marks the end of my daily bumping the thread, I fear.

LT_245.jpg

LT_246.jpg

46 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

245 and 246.

And so we come to the end of the run.  I hope people have enjoyed seeing the covers like this, sorry I've got holes in the early part of the run.  But I'm happy to have what I have.  Looney Tunes is, I think, without a doubt the easiest book published every single month of the 1950's to put together a run of; but actually doing it is still a bit of an achievement.

I'll be back as soon as I or somebody else gets some more books to post here, but this marks the end of my daily bumping the thread, I fear.

LT_245.jpg

LT_246.jpg

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: 

first off, what a run of covers and commitment! This has been the seminal moment of this thread, and proved without a doubt why the COMICS deserve the love , respect and attention  the characters receive in their original medium: unless I'm wrong only six other titles (eight if you count Adventure Comics and the Four Color run, but because they rotated subjects they get an asterisk ) started in the 30's or 40's have a run count above 200 issues, proving a leading hard core subscription base then : Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Wonder Woman, and WDC&S. 

The Looney Tunes are pop culture fixtures. Thanks, it's been a blast to see this thread on page one for a streak like that. Post any time you fill a hole in the run, or upgrade if you're so inclined and of course I'll bump it from time to time too.  Again, loved it! :headbang:

:D  that last issue could be a double entendres cover

*****as for why #230 is debated, 'Daffy Duck #27' which features a PePe story is dated the same time as LT #230. I have read a few dissenting opinions of which hit the stands first. That's the kind of detective work @markseifert is usually great at. 

****update: of course how could I forget Archie doh!

Edited by sagii

On 4/19/2017 at 9:34 PM, sagii said:

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: 

first off, what a run of covers and commitment! This has been the seminal moment of this thread, and proved without a doubt why the COMICS deserve the love , respect and attention  the characters receive in their original medium: unless I'm wrong only six other titles (eight if you count Adventure Comics and the Four Color run, but because they rotated subjects they get an asterisk ) started in the 30's or 40's have a run count above 200 issues, proving a leading hard core subscription base then : Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Wonder Woman, and WDC&S. 

The Looney Tunes are pop culture fixtures. Thanks, it's been a blast to see this thread on page one for a streak like that. Post any time you fill a hole in the run, or upgrade if you're so inclined and of course I'll bump it from time to time too.  Again, loved it! :headbang:

:D  that last issue could be a double entendres cover

*****as for why #230 is debated, 'Daffy Duck #27' which features a PePe story is dated the same time as LT #230. I have read a few dissenting opinions of which hit the stands first. That's the kind of detective work @markseifert is usually great at. 

****update: of course how could I forget Archie doh!

Well, I definitely count Adventure, because that's the only other title on the list I've got a meaningful chunk of, and even then I've only got a fifth of them.  At least I've got the 247...

D'oh!  I knew that on the Daffy 27, but for some reason I was thinking it was Speedy Gonzales who showed up there, not Pepe.  Did we ever figure out Speedy's first appearance. (And NO, I don't mean More Fun 73...:nyah:)

Glad you enjoyed the run of covers!

2 hours ago, sagii said:

@OtherEric As far as i can tell, Speedy's first appearance was in his one and only Four Color outing (#1084) from 1960. 

I can top that one easily enough; Bugs Bunny's Christmas Funnies #7 has a Speedy story in 1956.  The character had only appeared in two cartoons by that point, one of which was something of a prototype version.  Anybody know of an earlier story?

Edit:  Hey, I guess this does get back to the original topic of this thread; that seems rather appropriate now that I'm done with the cover marathon.

Edited by OtherEric

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I can top that one easily enough; Bugs Bunny's Christmas Funnies #7 has a Speedy story in 1956.  The character had only appeared in two cartoons by that point, one of which was something of a prototype version.  Anybody know of an earlier story?

Edit:  Hey, I guess this does get back to the original topic of this thread; that seems rather appropriate now that I'm done with the cover marathon.

Abosolutley! Circle is complete (thumbsu

Was going to let this thread rest a bit, but today April 30th is annual National Bugs Bunny Day, couldn't let that go without a post to the Gray One. This is giveaway 'March of Comics #44' (1st Bugs in the title.)

March of Comics #44 (Bugs Bunny).jpg

4 hours ago, sagii said:

Was going to let this thread rest a bit, but today April 30th is annual National Bugs Bunny Day, couldn't let that go without a post to the Gray One. This is giveaway 'March of Comics #44' (1st Bugs in the title.)

March of Comics #44 (Bugs Bunny).jpg

I like that cover!  A good gag, and a lot more attention to detail than you would normally see on a funny animal cover like that...  the piles of sawdust, the spikes on the shoes, the uneven stump and base of the tree matching one another.  Nothing that would be odd on a more straightforward drawing, but distinctive here.

Edited by OtherEric

16 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I like that cover!  A good gag, and a lot more attention to detail than you would normally see on a funny animal cover like that...  the piles of sawdust, the spikes on the shoes, the uneven stump and base of the tree matching one another.  Nothing that would be odd on a more straightforward drawing, but distinctive here.

Good eye for detail there Eric, I appreciate the cover even more now. (thumbsu

On 4/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, OtherEric said:

245 and 246.

LT_245.jpg

LT_246.jpg

So it looks like Looney Tunes (like the Four Color series) got dropped when the transition from Dell to Gold Key occurred. Never realized that. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

So it looks like Looney Tunes (like the Four Color series) got dropped when the transition from Dell to Gold Key occurred. Never realized that. 

Yep, Looney Tunes got lost in the Dell/ Gold Key swapover.  Not positive why, I suspect it was merged with Bugs into the "Bugs Bunny Showtime" giant for content and then lost in the shuffle when they went back to normal-size book.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:
19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep, Looney Tunes got lost in the Dell/ Gold Key swapover.  Not positive why, I suspect it was merged with Bugs into the "Bugs Bunny Showtime" giant for content and then lost in the shuffle when they went back to normal-size book.

It would make sense that they transitioned out of both of their anthology type series at the same time, although, of course, Four Color covered a lot more titles/characters.  @4GEMWORKS has done some interesting research on the "missing Four Colors."  For those who haven't followed the Four Color thread, the missing Four Colors are books that were not listed in their indicia as issues in the Four Color series nor as issues in a separately numbered series for their own titles.  They were published in the same months in 1962 that there are gaps in the Four Color sequence, so a reasonable inference is that they were originally intended to be part of that series.

7 hours ago, ft88 said:

$200 for this rag.  And one I didn't win either as I wanted a reader copy.  Sigh....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322519002723?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Saw that. Flirted with the idea of scooping it up as an extra under copy but ultimately passed. To Bugs Bunny what Four Color 16 is to Mickey Mouse, great book even in that state. Strong finish for that condition. 

On 5/29/2017 at 3:30 PM, sagii said:

Saw that. Flirted with the idea of scooping it up as an extra under copy but ultimately passed. To Bugs Bunny what Four Color 16 is to Mickey Mouse, great book even in that state. Strong finish for that condition. 

That was one battered book, but it's one that's rare enough and key enough that there's a bottom price that somebody will go for no matter what grade.

37 minutes ago, mustang33guy said:

Got my first LTMM issue today! Very happy with the condition given the age, and I love Halloween it's my favorite holiday haha

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

A very nice pick-up indeed!  I think that's the last 68 page issue; and may I call your attention (since it's unslabbed) to Walt Kelly's work on the Pat, Patsy, and Pete story?

1 hour ago, mustang33guy said:

Got my first LTMM issue today! Very happy with the condition given the age, and I love Halloween it's my favorite holiday haha

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

:banana:Happy-happy , Joy -joy when a Boardie bumps this Thread! Great first one to start with. There are other Halloween covers in the run worth chasing too if that's one of your collecting focus'. 

Edited by sagii

22 hours ago, sagii said:

:banana:Happy-happy , Joy -joy when a Boardie bumps this Thread! Great first one to start with. There are other Halloween covers in the run worth chasing too if that's one of your collecting focus'. 

Thanks! Yes would be nice to get some more Halloween issues but I'm just trying to get some good key issues as well. Just picked these up today!

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG