• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 9:56 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm not a big fan of Bugs and the gang but I've always loved Dell comics and oddly as a kid you just didn't see the "Looney Tunes" comics at the flea markets and garage sales where we would dig up old Disneys and Turoks and other Dell books. So on arriving at my first New York Seuling comic show in 1972 one of the first books I bought was an early sixties Looney Tunes just because I wanted to see what it was like. Cost me all of fifty cents as I recall which was a bit of my budget for that show (I think I had five bucks or something.) Anyway compared to the Barks WDCS I picked up at the same show (those cost a buck each) I wasn't too impressed and it would be many years before I picked up any more. I've picked up some nice copies in the meantime; not too many but a few that have struck my fancy. I find it an interesting and probably under appreciated title. Here's the few I've picked up over the last decade or so usually because the price was so low I couldn't walk away.

LTMM46.thumb.jpg.0d970cb28b9cbd1564d2fe2e6beab242.jpg

LTMM78.thumb.jpg.c07d95639ef276b581b1412b3b809185.jpg

1696745135_LTMM90.thumb.jpg.09ecf215cb6f3832fcc38324593ec34e.jpg

Glad to see you posting here. Cool issues.

There was an old time dealer and I wished I saved his catalogs who touted the  FC Bugs issue 'The Frozen Kingdom' was a great work 'As good as any Barks story' he'd note in the listings.

There's another one FC 33 I believe where the story is loosely based on 'The Most Dangerous Game'. Perhaps their FC appearances contained better stories than their LTMM ones (shrug)

But yes, given how still recognizable these characters still are, all the cartoons, feature films and countless cross merchandising toys, coloring books, posters, food products, fast food collaborations etc, the comics have been long underappreciated. 

It seems to be changing 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:19 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I only have a few, but I like the fact that you don't have to pay more than $20 to get a good looking copy...and the way other GA books are going, I may have to concentrate on LTMM to get my comic fix from now on...:preach:

And it won't break the bank (:

On 11/18/2022 at 10:20 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes those early Four Color Bugs are quite nice. I keep an eye out for those but so far have only found one to add to the comic closet. The story is certainly a cut above the LTMM fare; I'm still on the hunt for some of the others.

804512228_FourColor123.thumb.jpg.332098354b5b6b6127b5b4db169419ea.jpg

...and a stunner of a cover on that one.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:24 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Glad you like here are some shots of the inside. Some of those backup features are pretty nutty!

LTMM7Int1.thumb.jpg.c4120d0a96ea7f691f248cd876fcb173.jpgLTMM7Int2.thumb.jpg.98e3ac08ac739879cf6a70ed1d3b8551.jpgLTMM7Int4.thumb.jpg.0c482d7a48755fe06916f427f2e89f28.jpgLTMM7Int5.thumb.jpg.bcc1dae85263d611e6c032984cd06dda.jpgLTMM7Int6.thumb.jpg.bff179a51be6c49dc580274735d10b01.jpg

These are great! Talk about an anthology title! What a mixed bag!

On 11/20/2022 at 3:13 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I went to a local show today that featured Harley Yee, Terry Oneil, and 15 other dealers...and nobody had any Looney Tunes... :pullhair:

This LTMM collecting might be harder than I thought...hm

Not surprised; nothing has changed since the 70's!

A bit off topic but I was perusing the cover gallery of Golden Comics Digest on GCD and noticed something interesting. The earliest issues feature compilations of characters from competing studios on the covers with no copyright notice. Only the Tarzan issues (which don't really work with anything else anyway except perhaps Turok) were dedicated books. Then at some point the compilation stops and the books are segregated by studio with appropriate copyright. It looks like it took a couple of years before anyone noticed!

This is something that would likely not happen today.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 11/20/2022 at 11:52 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

A bit off topic but I was perusing the cover gallery of Golden Comics Digest on GCD and noticed something interesting. The earliest issues feature compilations of characters from competing studios on the covers with no copyright notice. Only the Tarzan issues (which don't really work with anything else anyway except perhaps Turok) were dedicated books. Then at some point the compilation stops and the books are segregated by studio with appropriate copyright. It looks like it took a couple of years before anyone noticed!

This is something that would likely not happen today.

It looks to me like it's rather specifically Walter Lantz/ MGM/ WB characters mixing, each clearly given their own little box even if the overall image is a single drawing.  I'm guessing they actually were fully aware from the beginning, then somebody changed their mind about the mixing, or they decided it wasn't worth the headache keeping all three copyright holders happy in one book.

Happy 80th Birthday to this little guy, Tweety who appeared in his first short "A Tale of Two Kitties" 80 years ago today!

Here is a vendor pic, circa 1070's when the Looney Tunes were licensed to promote Creslin Sweaters. They mispelled Tweety on the pin though. I also have a Porky one (but it's not his birthday!, lol).

And he's still going strong as a feature film was produced this and streaming on HBOMAX probably to coincide with the occasion. I have included the trailer in the next post as well for all the animation fans. Not golden era, but just glad they are still chugging along 

#Tweety80

Tweety (Tweetie)Creslan trade show pin.JPG