• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Is the idea to try to get this thread locked too?

Get some class guys.

Oakman, I'm a little surprised at you.

-J.

I don't want anything locked! I think your club is kinda neat,maybe cause I do own a raw copy. But don't confuse that I do however think its Rediculous to think that a book like this is rare by any means.

You're entitled to your opinion, it has however been shown to be incorrect.

You should post your book and join the club. :foryou: It's a very exclusive club indeed.

Here is a thread from another board where they discussed in real time, just weeks after it was released even in Sept 2011, the absolute rarity of this book (no such discussion ever took place on these boards, as we have seen, the book has flown under a whole lot of peoples' radar around here....at least until now):

http://comicbookrealm.com/topic/8/13541/amazing-spiderman-667-1100-dellotto

And here's additional discussion several months later in mid-2012, again in real time, about the continued rarity of the book, and the hefty sums it was already commanding back then:

http://comicbookrealm.com/topic/8/15468/amazing-spiderman-667-del-otto-variant/all

Interestingly, the last two 2012 posts in the thread predicted that more copies would come out and prices would come down.

Oops! lol

This only further demonstrates how out of the loop most people on these boards really seem to be on this book. Their attempts at Monday morning quarter-backing three years after the fact carries little weight or substance.

-J.

Sigh.

The only thing you've proven is that the book has heretofore remained rare.

That is not proof that the book is actually rare, and not just hiding out somewhere. Proof would be what everyone has told you since the beginning: print run and distribution information from the people at Marvel and/or the printer.

The only thing you've proven is that the book has been difficult to find for the last four years.

But let's look at much older, much rarer books: Maxx #3 Black Ashcan.

There are 4 on the census, and 4 (maybe 5) that have been conclusively proven to still exist.

We know the print run was only 50. We know there are only 4 on the census. We know there have only been 2-3 sales of this book on eBay since at least 1999.

But none of that proves that there are only 4 copies still left in existence. It only proves that we don't know where the other 46 are. And the other 46 could be sitting in a box in storage somewhere. Or, they could have been thrown away 20 years ago. We simply don't know. And they are much rarer, and much older, than ASM #667 D'O.

After all...it's very much possible that the 10 black #2s I found in 2001-2002 or so could all have been unsold and thrown away had I not known what they were and bought them. That's what Jay Co. did with books that went unsold then. They threw long boxes of unsold books away. And I found them in their inventory at a rinky-dink local show. Right place, right time, right knowledge, a dogged persistence and curiosity, and patience.

That's the same story with this variant, and it's much, much, MUCH more common than Maxx #3 black ashcan. Is it rare right now? Of course. Is it a low census? Of course.

Will it always REMAIN a rare, low census book...? That's something no one can say, and that's really the problem you're having. The enthusiasm is great....but you keep trying to hang your hat on something you just don't know, and cannot possibly know, until and if these books are actually accounted for.

Get some class guys.

-J.

I don't want anything locked! I think your club is kinda neat,maybe cause I do own a raw copy. But don't confuse that I do however think its Rediculous to think that a book like this is rare by any means.

You should post your book and join the club. :foryou: It's a very exclusive club indeed.

Here is a thread from another board where they discussed in real time, just weeks after it was released even in Sept 2011, the absolute rarity of this book (no such discussion ever took place on these boards, as we have seen, the book has flown under a whole lot of peoples' radar around here....at least until now):

And here's additional discussion several months later in mid-2012, again in real time, about the continued rarity of the book, and the hefty sums it was already commanding back then:

http://comicbookrealm.com/topic/8/15468/amazing-spiderman-667-del-otto-variant/all

Interestingly, the last two 2012 posts in the thread predicted that more copies would come out and prices would come down.

Oops! lol

This only further demonstrates how out of the loop most people on these boards really seem to be on this book. Their attempts at Monday morning quarter-backing three years after the fact carries little weight or substance.

-J.

Sigh.

That is not proof that the book is actually rare, and not just hiding out somewhere. Proof would be what everyone has told you since the beginning: print run and distribution information from the people at Marvel and/or the printer.

The only thing you've proven is that the book has been difficult to find for the last four years.

There are 4 on the census, and 4 (maybe 5) that have been conclusively proven to still exist.

We know the print run was only 50. We know there are only 4 on the census. We know there have only been 2-3 sales of this book on eBay since at least 1999.

But none of that proves that there are only 4 copies still left in existence. It only proves that we don't know where the other 46 are. And the other 46 could be sitting in a box in storage somewhere. Or, they could have been thrown away 20 years ago. We simply don't know. And they are much rarer, and much older, than ASM #667 D'O.

After all...it's very much possible that the 10 black #2s I found in 2001-2002 or so could all have been unsold and thrown away had I not known what they were and bought them. That's what Jay Co. did with books that went unsold then. They threw long boxes of unsold books away. And I found them in their inventory at a rinky-dink local show. Right place, right time, right knowledge, a dogged persistence and curiosity, and patience.

That's the same story with this variant, and it's much, much, MUCH more common than Maxx #3 black ashcan. Is it rare right now? Of course. Is it a low census? Of course.

Will it always REMAIN a rare, low census book...? That's something no one can say, and that's really the problem you're having. The enthusiasm is great....but you keep trying to hang your hat on something you just don't know, and cannot possibly know, until and if these books are actually accounted for.

I just got a little warm and fuzzy from the way you compared this ultra rare (ASM) book (from Marvel) to an ashcan (from an at the time, small indy publisher) of a once forgotten niche title with a 50 print run.

Can't help but feel my point has been made. :blush:

-J.

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

Sigh.

I just got a little warm and fuzzy from the way you compared this ultra rare (ASM) book (from Marvel) to an ashcan (from an at the time, small indy publisher) of a once forgotten niche title with a 50 print run.

-J.

Sigh.

No, that was only a comparison between an actually "ultra-rare" book and one that was printed in numbers maybe 15-30 times higher.

If we don't know how many copies exist of a 22 year old book, whose much, much, much lower print run we KNOW, how can we POSSIBLY presume to know how many copies exist of a 4 year old book, whose print run we don't know, but was printed in more than an order of magnitude higher numbers...?

But hey, if you think that makes your point, knock yourself out.

As far as "small, indy publisher at the time" goes, Image comics was the #3 or #4 publisher, depending on what month, behind Marvel and DC in 1993. It was not even remotely a "small indy publisher."

Calling Image a "small indy publisher" in 1993 is like calling "The Walking Dead" a "small indy cable show." And The Maxx may be a "niche title" now, but it was one of the premiere second wave Image titles of 1993. It had nearly 50% higher orders at Cap City than Spawn #1 AND X-Men #300 (295k copies vs. 204k and 205k copies, respectively), making it the best selling book of its month according to Cap City. It sold well over a million copies.

It just demonstrates the lengths of disconnect and intellectual dishonesty you're willing to go to skew the discussion. It's a total disconnect with the facts. It's really quite disappointing.

:(

RMA always talking about his Maxx ashcans. I doubt there are more than 10 people in the world who would even bid on them in an auction set up.

Rare and unpopular...not a winning combination.

You really don't know what you're talking about, unfortunately.

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

Sigh.

-J.

Sigh.

No, that was only a comparison between an actually "ultra-rare" book and one that was printed in numbers maybe 15-30 times higher.

If we don't know how many copies exist of a 22 year old book, whose much, much, much lower print run we KNOW, how can we POSSIBLY presume to know how many copies exist of a 4 year old book, whose print run we don't know, but was printed in more than an order of magnitude higher numbers...?

But hey, if you think that makes your point, knock yourself out.

As far as "small, indy publisher at the time" goes, Image comics was the #3 or #4 publisher, depending on what month, behind Marvel and DC in 1993. It was not even remotely a "small indy publisher."

Calling Image a "small indy publisher" in 1993 is like calling "The Walking Dead" a "small indy cable show." And The Maxx may be a "niche title" now, but it was one of the premiere second wave Image titles of 1993. It had nearly 50% higher orders at Cap City than Spawn #1 AND X-Men #300 (295k copies vs. 204k and 205k copies, respectively), making it the best selling book of its month according to Cap City. It sold well over a million copies.

It just demonstrates the lengths of disconnect and intellectual dishonesty you're willing to go to skew the discussion. It's a total disconnect with the facts. It's really quite disappointing.

:(

The "disconnect" is in you comparing an ashcan of a Maxx book to The Amazing Spider-Man.

And no, the 667 was not printed in in multiples "'maybe' 15 to 30 times higher" than that ashcan- try 3 to 6. "Maybe".

You are literally just making things up now.

Making things up that are in contrast with everything pretty much everyone who actually knows anything about this book has ever observed or written about it. Made all the more remarkable because the 667 was not an ashcan, was not released by a publisher that had just barely opened its doors, and is part of a run in a flagship title of one of the most famous and top selling superheroes of all time. I don't know what your agenda is with this book but WE get it. All right ? Your attempts to try to convince whomever- yourself, me, other people, I don't know- that black is white and up is down and wrong is right is tiresome and unwelcome. You and your brethren already got one thread locked, so why don't you continue your toxic and unproductive obsessive banter about this book in PM's to each other.

You have exhaustively made your misguided and uninformed opinions of this book more than clear. You don't need to repeat yourself ad infinitum.

You are now more than welcome to depart this APPRECIATION THREAD and return to trying to sell and discuss your (also rare) Maxx ashcans in the appreciation thread for those books.

-J.

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

Not sure these are the best examples to prove your points. :)

The first link refers to someone selling multiple copies on Ebay and one of the posters saying he bought another Ebay copy for $85, so it hardly matches the idea of it commanding top prices and being ultra rare from day one as you've been saying.

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

The first link refers to someone selling multiple copies on Ebay and one of the posters saying he bought a copy for $85, so it hardly matches the idea of it commanding top prices and being ultra rare from day one as you've been saying.

lol Whatever dude. Did you even read the links ? Or even just the first post in either of them ?

Thank you for sharing your opinions though.

:gossip: $85 for a VF (or lower) copy of a book that is only a couple weeks old is a lot by most measures and the fact that there was only ONE seller on ebay that even had a few copies to sell, and NO LCS' or Internet retailers had ANY right after its release speaks for itself. (thumbs u

-J.

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

The first link refers to someone selling multiple copies on Ebay and one of the posters saying he bought a copy for $85, so it hardly matches the idea of it commanding top prices and being ultra rare from day one as you've been saying.

lol Whatever dude. Did you even read the links ? Or even the first post in either of them ?

:gossip: $85 for a VF (or lower) copy of a book that is only a couple weeks old is a lot by most measures.

-J.

Right, because the standard for variants isn't super hot out of the gate, then fading (usually to oblivion or at least the neighbouring township). :eyeroll:

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

lol Whatever dude. Did you even read the links ? Or even the first post in either of them ?

:gossip: $85 for a VF (or lower) copy of a book that is only a couple weeks old is a lot by most measures.

-J.

Right, because the standard for variants isn't super hot out of the gate, then fading (usually to oblivion or at least the neighbouring township). :eyeroll:

Right.

And this obviously wasn't and isn't a "standard" variant.

This is an APPRECIATION THREAD for this book.

What part of that do you geniuses not get ? Kindly stop derailing it with you toxic and ignorant nonsense.

If YOU DON'T LIKE THE BOOK OR HAVE ANY INTEREST IN IT, GO POST SOMEWHERE ELSE.

If you feel compelled to continue to obsess over it, how rare it is and how expensive it is, start a journal or talk about it with your therapist.

Let the FANS and owners discuss the book in peace.

Thanks.

-J.

More complaints filed against RMA and Lazyboy. Maybe you guys could have a privat chat to discuss if you really want to continue ruining this and other threads

Seriously? You started an unsolicited PM conversation with me, directly told me you had lied (in this thread) and then got upset when I called you a liar in the private message and removed yourself from the conversation?

"And now you also accuse me of being a liar. Sorry, can't do anything about that but smile. What did I do to give you that impression?"

Um... you literally told me you lied!

"Something else, I have not sold my book. I was tired of what you and others were turning this thread into. See it as an effort to distantiate myself from it."

157821.jpg.88c5bb6c193e4a253c8e70fa0e540e80.jpg

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

-J.

Right.

And this obviously wasn't a "standard" variant.

Thanks for sharing your opinions though.

What part of that do you geniuses not get ?

-J.

What part of you do not get to spread lies and misinformation without being called out on it, no matter what you call the thread don't you get?

Get some class guys.

-J.

Oops! lol

-J.

-J.

Right.

And this obviously wasn't a "standard" variant.

Thanks for sharing your opinions though.

What part of that do you geniuses not get ?

-J.

What part of you do not get to spread lies and misinformation without being called out on it, no matter what you call the thread don't you get?

That's enough. Get out of this thread dude.

-J.

More complaints filed against RMA and Lazyboy. Maybe you guys could have a privat chat to discuss if you really want to continue ruining this and other threads

Seriously? You started an unsolicited PM conversation with me, directly told me you had lied (in this thread) and then got upset when I called you a liar in the private message and removed yourself from the conversation?

"And now you also accuse me of being a liar. Sorry, can't do anything about that but smile. What did I do to give you that impression?"

Um... you literally told me you lied!

"Something else, I have not sold my book. I was tired of what you and others were turning this thread into. See it as an effort to distantiate myself from it."

Twisting words, harassment by publicizing PM's, using only those parts that fit your words... Classy. And another complaint filed. Given your number of years and posts here, it would seem that you value your presence here. Are you really willing to put that on the line?