• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jessica Jones Netflix Alias #1

494 posts in this topic

calm before the storm. If the show blows up, the price will get another spike.

here's the question.

what's the definition of a netflix show "blowing up"?

-there are no ratings to pimp it (not like Walking Dead getting to have every ad say that it's the highest rated show on cable, or on TV or whatever)

-there's no week to week heat because the whole season gets dumped at once for binge-ing.

-because of the whole season dump there's less cultural conversation (I follow TV closely and we saw something similar happen with House of Cards, people were all over the map on where they were in their watching so it stagnated the public conversation about the show because you could only talk to people who were in the same place as you, or you had to spoiler-check yourself constantly)

Im not criticizing, im just saying it'll be interesting to watch the speculation/market movement for a TV show (vs the movie related books) and for a streaming/season dump TV show model vs the more traditional network model. The outcome could have repercussions on how people project further movement on H4H1 and other Netflix related comic books that are currently hot.

calm before the storm. If the show blows up, the price will get another spike.

here's the question.

what's the definition of a netflix show "blowing up"?

-there are no ratings to pimp it (not like Walking Dead getting to have every ad say that it's the highest rated show on cable, or on TV or whatever)

-there's no week to week heat because the whole season gets dumped at once for binge-ing.

-because of the whole season dump there's less cultural conversation (I follow TV closely and we saw something similar happen with House of Cards, people were all over the map on where they were in their watching so it stagnated the public conversation about the show because you could only talk to people who were in the same place as you, or you had to spoiler-check yourself constantly)

Im not criticizing, im just saying it'll be interesting to watch the speculation/market movement for a TV show (vs the movie related books) and for a streaming/season dump TV show model vs the more traditional network model. The outcome could have repercussions on how people project further movement on H4H1 and other Netflix related comic books that are currently hot.

Good question, but I think it's straight up word-of-mouth. I know that a lot of my non-nerd friends were losing their minds over Daredevil & they were talking about it constantly for months. They would talk about it at work. I would hear people talking about it at work. The conversation always started the same:

"are you watching Daredevil?"

"Yeah, where are you?"

"I just finished episode X"

"oh mess, ok... I'm on episode Y [which in this case was after episode X]. I won't spoil anything but dude, didn't you love [event that happened at the end of episode X]?"

"That was amazing. Is episode Y really as good as I keep hearing?"

"Oh yeah. Just binge until you get there"

And within a week, they all finished it & were constantly talking about the full season. They just started their conversations with a status update, waited until the other person caught up to where they were, and then the other person came back to them so that they could discuss it. It's no different than the kind of response to when a new novel is released.

Not only that, but I think it's less about the plot of the show & more about people becoming quickly interested in a character that they didn't know existed. I have a feeling that Jessica Jones (the character) will become a much more prominent figure in pop culture after this.

And without making it political, the mainstream will gush over her victim status & rape survivor status & her feminism. It's the kind of thing that turns a character into an (temporary) icon these days (even if it's one that they rip down in 6 months because that character doesn't do exactly with the same mainstream wants all of the time on all issues)

From completed sales the book looks to have peaked weeks ago in the $300-$350 range.

-J.

From someone who knows nothing about something . . . :grin:

Facts... :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Alias+1&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=1&LH_Sold=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=200&_udhi=100000&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91601&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

-J.

2 9.8s sold for 350/5 yesterday.. what am i missing here

The other 10 sales that weren't that high the in last month ? Including the one from today for $325 ? (shrug)

-J.

Look at this and please tell me you dont see a steady climb from October to November

With the highest sale being Yesterday

Thanks. Good information.

From completed sales the book looks to have peaked weeks ago in the $300-$350 range.

-J.

From someone who knows nothing about something . . . :grin:

Facts... :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Alias+1&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=1&LH_Sold=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=200&_udhi=100000&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91601&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

-J.

2 9.8s sold for 350/5 yesterday.. what am i missing here

The other 10 sales that weren't that high the in last month ? Including the one from today for $325 ? (shrug)

-J.

Look at this and please tell me you dont see a steady climb from October to November

With the highest sale being Yesterday

Thanks. Good information.

The most recent sale from Nov. 19 is the same price as another sale from Oct. 24- $325.00. In that time the book has fluctuated within a very narrow range. Notable within that same time frame is an unsold listing from Nov. 16 which was an auction that did not make the opening bid of $299.00.

So back to my original observation, the book appears to have peaked weeks ago in a rather narrow $300-$350 range (which is still a respectable bump, percentage wise, from the $250-$280 it was going for prior to the trailer).

-J.

the book looks to have peaked weeks ago in the $300-$350 range.

The above statement is wrong. And misleading

Lets keep it simple.

My statements are supported by the 15 or so closed ebay transactions over the last 30 days which are available for anyone to see.

I'm sorry if that is not consistent with your own internal narrative regarding the book.

Whether or not the book has "peaked" or "plateaued" has yet to be seen. But given the distribution method of the series, and the fact that even Daredevil backed off of its inflated highs once the show was released, it is highly likely the same will happen with this book as the hype fades and the market starts looking for the next "thing".

-J.

The book hasn't peaked yet.

The show just came out today. Geeeeesh

When the show or movie is released, that's when the decline happens.

In some cases, true. Hard to tell here because of Jessica Jones appearing in other Marvel/Netflix shows. The character has longevity.

Edited by Candletric

For well-known characters already, that's true. But for obscure ones that are only finally getting a place in the spotlight, it can drop slightly after release, but still stays a lot higher than the initial pre-announcement value.

But this book is a little different. At the risk of it being slightly a political point, Jessica Jones is a different animal altogether from even GotG. They both might be obscure characters that get a big boost, but the potential for her to grow into a bit of a "feminist icon" type character is great with this show, to the point where it might settle down a little but will probably keep picking up steam a little bit over the next few years, assuming it's successful enough for a 2nd season (which I believe it will be)

For well-known characters already, that's true. But for obscure ones that are only finally getting a place in the spotlight, it can drop slightly after release, but still stays a lot higher than the initial pre-announcement value.

But this book is a little different. At the risk of it being slightly a political point, Jessica Jones is a different animal altogether from even GotG. They both might be obscure characters that get a big boost, but the potential for her to grow into a bit of a "feminist icon" type character is great with this show, to the point where it might settle down a little but will probably keep picking up steam a little bit over the next few years, assuming it's successful enough for a 2nd season (which I believe it will be)

I'm not sure the traits of this character are necessarily the ingredients for a "mainstream pop cultural icon". And her lack of costuming won't make her popular among the cosplay set. The original books were niche, and the series looks to be as well. The overall material is fairly thin even for 13 episodes, I am hard pressed to see where they would take this character for a "season 2" without access to the Daily Bugle and Spider-man. I can foresee a crossover appearance in the Luke Cage series, but that's about it. I give Marvel credit for even attempting to pluck this character from obscurity and try something with her. The book got a nice little price bump because of the hype. But these things are transitional and there really is only so much that can be done with this character IMO. As noted by Miraclemet, the method of distribution puts a kind of shelf life on the "buzz" for the show and the character, and that will likely affect interest in the book, though I doubt it will fall back to its pre-hype price levels.

-J.

Lets keep it simple.

My statements are supported by the 15 or so closed ebay transactions over the last 30 days which are available for anyone to see.

I'm sorry if that is not consistent with your own internal narrative regarding the book.

Whether or not the book has "peaked" or "plateaued" has yet to be seen. But given the distribution method of the series, and the fact that even Daredevil backed off of its inflated highs once the show was released, it is highly likely the same will happen with this book as the hype fades and the market starts looking for the next "thing".

-J.

Dont change the subject and turn it to speculation now sir. You SAID "It has peaked", but now youre saying "Its yet to be seen". Until you admit that you have openly stated something which is false I have nothing to speculate with you about.

Lets keep it simple.

-J.

Dont change the subject and turn it to speculation now sir. You SAID "It has peaked", but now youre saying "Its yet to be seen". Until you admit that you have openly stated something which is false I have nothing to speculate with you about.

I said it "looks to have peaked weeks ago". And considering that the most recent sale price is the same sale price from a month ago, I stand by my assertion.

Whether or not that represents a "plateau", i.e. if it can sustain that price point post-hype is what remains to be seen.

I don't need to play games of semantics, I say what I mean and I mean what I say. But you are right, there is nothing further to be discussed on the topic.

-J.

Lets keep it simple.

-J.

I said it "looks to have peaked weeks ago". And considering that the most recent sale price is the same sale price from a month ago, I stand by my assertion.

Whether or not that represents a "plateau", i.e. if it can sustain that price point post-hype is what remains to be seen.

I don't need to play games of semantics, I say what I mean and I mean what I say. But you are right, there is nothing further to be discussed on the topic.

-J.

Im not playing a game of semantics. You are.

Its simple.

The book HAS peaked 2 days ago FACT

The book IS CURRENTLY selling for 300-350. Not weeks ago. FACT

Its not about whos wrong or whos right..

Well..

It kinda is...

Lets keep it simple.

-J.

-J.

Its simple.

Well..

It kinda is...

So....basically we are saying the same thing. lol:foryou:

-J.

Lets keep it simple.

-J.

-J.

Its simple.

Well..

It kinda is...

So....basically we are saying the same thing. lol:foryou:

-J.

lol well played sir