• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, adamstrange said:

Congo Bill was really "Mystery in the Jungle" and counterpart to DCs sci-fi series "Mystery in Space".  I think Nick Cardy appreciated the opportunity to headline a title and put a lot of effort into it, though the accuracy of wildlife behaviors was sometimes suspect.

If you look up that issue in the Gerber Guide, you'll find that background color is maroon rather than the cherry red fade to pale orange.  This was one of the few color separation mistakes in the Guide as this is the Church copy that was photographed for it.

CongoBill5p1.jpg

So nice to see the interior of a Church book. A rare privilege.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Anyone see these Rex books go off last night! I was amazed at the price on #4. All I can figure was it was the Nazi insignia.

image.thumb.png.1acb5518487cc87ae6e1e3d91ef43e43.png

I missed this earlier.  My copy unfortunately has a detached cover with a beat up spine, but even so it might be time to let it go...

Rex_04.jpg

On 11/26/2021 at 8:38 AM, zzutak said:

Dang!  I've never seen a copy of that Mr. DA with colors this bright.  They're actually hurting my post-Thanksgiving eyes!  :headbang:  :banana:  (worship).  Here's my favorite Big Town cover:
BigT-48.thumb.jpg.31b31e54d90daad7a7b9a04af3ee20a1.jpg

Never seen this cover and now I need it!  

On 11/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, buttock said:

About as obscure as DC gets. 

mr district attorney 27.jpg

Nobody collects Mr. DA. 

Buncha nerds. :screwy:

MrDA28.jpg

On 11/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, adamstrange said:

Nobody collects Mr. DA. 

Buncha nerds. :screwy:

MrDA28.jpg

I haven't had a chance to pick up any Mr. District Attorney's they don't show up to often. Same with Big Town. On the other hand Gang Busters show up on occasion. Here's my earliest issue which I'm sure I posted here before but worth posting again!

GangBusters4.thumb.jpg.0558daad6c0d1520888be56c4a200627.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I heard that Gang Busters might have a couple key issues? Maybe because of a classic cover or something , no need to give any secrets away though 😁😁😁😜

I'm not aware of any classic covers on the title, although I'm far from an expert.

There were a couple issues with stories by some guy named Frazetta.  He only did 18 stories for DC total:

Gang Busters 14.jpg

Gang Busters 14_int.jpg

Gang Busters 17.jpg

Gang Busters 17_int.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I heard that Gang Busters might have a couple key issues? Maybe because of a classic cover or something , no need to give any secrets away though 😁😁😁😜

No idea; here's a high grade copy I got on the cheap on Heritage. Liked the photo cover with the old car.

GangBusters13.thumb.jpg.94dd24b8fc09fef51a2fc955fc7610ba.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, OtherEric said:

I'm not aware of any classic covers on the title, although I'm far from an expert.

There were a couple issues with stories by some guy named Frazetta.  He only did 18 stories for DC total:

Gang Busters 14_int.jpg

I know it's generally poor form to quote oneself, but I only just noticed this after I posted.  Frazetta signed this page twice, in both upper corners.  I wonder why...

On 11/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, OtherEric said:

Gang Busters 14.jpg

Gang Busters 14_int.jpg

Gang Busters 17.jpg

Gang Busters 17_int.jpg

Sweet!  Thanks for the interior shots. Some nice Frazetta there. Also recommended would be the Shining Knight stories in Adventure at about the same time.