• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fakers on ebay

288 posts in this topic

Ducoso said the EXACT same thing to me. He does include a COA of his own making, but what good is that. He is banking on his good feedback, which is starting to show signs of fatigue.

To my own struggle: I sat on hold last night for over 2 hours and had to hang up. I began again this morning and after only 15 minutes, I got a human. At first she was insistent that I lost and it was not an error. However, I began walking her through the paper trail and she did an immediate about face. I should have my refund within 48 hours. As I write this post, the funds just appeared in my account.

One thing I learned is that Ebay policy dictates; with the exception of buyers remorse, any return should always be at the expense of the seller. This is where she thinks all my problems began. I was improperly instructed from the beginning, to ship at my own expense.

Thank you. Losing money sucks, but having it go to con men is salt in the wound. I thank this community and its members for helping me.

Now please make sure to leave the seller negative feedback explaining he's selling fakes. :) These fakes keep fooling buyers and unfortunately both ducoso and fosworld have great feedback since their scams are sufficiently successful. Buyers reporting these guys and leaving negs is pretty much the only way they're going to be stopped.

Also, eBay is soft on fake and counterfeit items, and now we're surely going to see the sketch shanester bought being resold to another victim. It's kind of tricky to do, but the best way to report receiving a counterfeit eBay item is reporting it to Paypal. The policies are a bit stricter and prevent subsequent scams:

f you lose a SNAD Claim because we, in our sole discretion, reasonably believe the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed). PayPal Seller protection will not cover your liability.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

GianCarlo Nardini reported on the comicart-l that "fosworld" is Mr. Joseph Michael Pecoraro who is apparently an expert on vinyl records. He's published guides on the topic.

Though we know him for selling suspected fakes, Jeff Singh on the comicart-l noted that "looking at the reviews of his first self published book, people are praising him for helping sort out the fakes from the real thing. making the distinction between original pressings and repros."

One wonders if there is irony in play here (he really is buying what he believes to be authentic pieces at these shows in NYC and reselling innocently) or if he fakes in both areas. Sigh...

This one seems like a no brainer and is unfortunately featured on CAF. I assume most know its a scam due to the low bids, but still. Here is the auction in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331707609782?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And here is the same piece being offered by Burkey on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Frank-WIZARD-MAGAZINE-31-COVER-POSTER-Original-Art-1993-SIN-CITY/111415966431?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33861%26meid%3De118b40ddb744c47b585859e4c315d6d%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D331707609782

Surely this one can be taken down easily?

I notified Romitaman who called ebay and as usual they have done NOTHING

Oh well they eat the loss thru buyer protection.

Because this kind of stuff drives me crazy, I sent a note to the seller:

Dear til.i.say.lets.cross,

Thinking about bidding. Is this the original by Miller? I've found another on eBay that looks almost identical.

Thanks!

His/her response:

SAME ONE

- til.i.say.lets.cross

Wait, what? Is there any way to contact a bidder? Can we at least alert them?

Ron

I notified Romitaman who called ebay and as usual they have done NOTHING

Oh well they eat the loss thru buyer protection.

Pretty typical unfortunately. Enforcement of eBay's own policies is horribly inconsistent, really depending on getting the right customer service person on the phone, and making the correct report. Despite all of us recognizing the obvious fraud, the only policy violation is stealing Burkey's picture and part of his description verbatim. For example, trying to explain the impossibility of the seller having a copy to of the item to a CS rep is futile. Was the focus of Burkey's call? Either way, the only way the fraud listing is going to get taken down is with repeated calls to eBay until action is taken. Other wise, yeah, buyer protection will kick in eventually for a surely frustrated buyer.

I messaged him-told him fyi for a new seller ebay holds funds until buyer receives item-and that this item belongs to Romitaman-he ended the listing.