• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fakers on ebay

288 posts in this topic

If he didn't "know" they were fakes, he would be trying to sell them individually. Sounds like he has heard the news on Ducoso and is trying to sell them all off at once and recoup his money. Pretty shady, really, but at least honest in where he got them. (with the oh so valuable Ducoso COA!)

If he didn't "know" they were fakes, he would be trying to sell them individually. Sounds like he has heard the news on Ducoso and is trying to sell them all off at once and recoup his money. Pretty shady, really, but at least honest in where he got them. (with the oh so valuable Ducoso COA!)

I've been a member of this board from early on but i let my original "nuvox" email account expire after they were bought by a larger company. In doing so I lost some memberships to websites, like this one.

I never registered again but continue to read the site every week or two.

I have no horse in this race. However, I've followed this thread, among others. I'm not going to weigh in on ducusco but this guy on ebay may very well not have any clue what he bought, real or fakes.

It's entertaining to read people's thoughts on what's real on ebay.

I've learned this, basically if it's not published then it's a fake according to everyone's opinion on the Internet.

50%-70% of published is fake based on some ignorant comments on the Internet.

I've been a member of this board from early on but i let my original "nuvox" email account expire after they were bought by a larger company. In doing so I lost some memberships to websites, like this one.

I never registered again but continue to read the site every week or two.

I have no horse in this race. However, I've followed this thread, among others. I'm not going to weigh in on ducusco but this guy on ebay may very well not have any clue what he bought, real or fakes.

It's entertaining to read people's thoughts on what's real on ebay.

I've learned this, basically if it's not published then it's a fake according to everyone's opinion on the Internet.

50%-70% of published is fake based on some ignorant comments on the Internet.

Ducoso? heh heh

I just wanted to bump the mention of this guy ("ivory-hunter" on eBay) for visibility.

ivory-hunter is a known seller of fake Frazettas. He has come up in discussions before on Comic Art-L.

I would strongly recommend staying away from anything this guy is selling, Frazetta or otherwise.

Yes, you caught me, I am ducusco and my American styled English just got perfect. I've been using slightly off English on my ebay postings, for all these years, so I can one day get on this board only to use perfect American styled English.

Brilliant in your detective abilities, truly, brilliantly astounding.

Further, Doug, ivory hunter I've bought two published Frazetta pieces from, among other art. The guy has an incredible art collection, some I've seen, several pieces he's bought from me in the past, albeit not Frazetta.

I've also seen a letter from Frazetta jr stating the piece you just referenced, and provided a link to, as indeed being the work of his father, Frazetta sr. as I was curious about the piece he mentioned in said ad that is a color Frazetta that published.

I seen that too.

I suppose it is a fake as well.

Or, maybe I'm him and ducusco, oh, or wait, they are one in the same! Yes, that's it, and I am them, or him, rather.

Seems like the bottom line is that if you have the slightest, slightest piece of doubt about the authenticity of a piece, pass it up. It's a safe bet that, aside from legitimate, known sellers, anything on Ebay that is an unpublished sketch or an autograph is a fake. Operate under that assumption, and you won't get burned. Maybe Ducusco has some items for sale that aren't fake (though the ones in that most recent ad certainly are) but the well is tainted, so I ain't drinkin' from it.

Some people just want to burn money on something and will be happy believing they have something legitimate. I say go for it... you're stimulating somebody's economy.

And as far as forgeries go... we've barely seen the scratched surface. As the money in the hobby continues to inflate, so will the quality of the fakes.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Terry!

Yes, you caught me, I am ducusco and my American styled English just got perfect. I've been using slightly off English on my ebay postings, for all these years, so I can one day get on this board only to use perfect American styled English.

Brilliant in your detective abilities, truly, brilliantly astounding.

Further, Doug, ivory hunter I've bought two published Frazetta pieces from, among other art. The guy has an incredible art collection, some I've seen, several pieces he's bought from me in the past, albeit not Frazetta.

I've also seen a letter from Frazetta jr stating the piece you just referenced, and provided a link to, as indeed being the work of his father, Frazetta sr. as I was curious about the piece he mentioned in said ad that is a color Frazetta that published.

I seen that too.

I suppose it is a fake as well.

Or, maybe I'm him and ducusco, oh, or wait, they are one in the same! Yes, that's it, and I am them, or him, rather.

For someone with "no horse in the race," you sure seem to be acting out as heavily invested in all this. The phrase "methinks he doth protest too much" keeps springing to mind.

Weird paper, I agree with you whole heartedly. If in doubt, pass it up. I think fake sellers eventually drift off only to be replaced by new ones.

Meeley man.....

And or I'm betson61 also.

Or, more likely, I'm a collector who is one of the thousands on here who finally started another account so I could post

Or, I'm hanging with colonial custard in the library.

Edited by warhorse

Or, more likely, I'm a collector who is one of the thousands on here who finally started another account so I could post

And your first act was to post something that belittles and insults others. Certainly a 'worthwhile" reason to get an account to post here. That says a lot about you.... none of it good.

You probably should stop now, while you are behind, before you make yourself look worse than you already have. Just some friendly advice. Feel free to ignore it. :popcorn:

Meeley man ;)

Why, does something strangers on the Internet really have effects on my person?

Maybe, I just like jumping in the deep end so I can kick it with you.

What it says about me is that I speak after thinking rather than just knee-jerk-speaking.

I don't jump on a thread to agree that a seller on ebay, betson61, or whom ever he is, is knowingly selling something fraudulent.

A better course of action is to contact the guy, or simply pass on his items.

I once had an item on ebay that had its legitimacy brought into question.

I pulled the item, contacted the artist. Months later I reposted it for sale and some bright light bulb immediately brought up that it was a fake from the past trying to be sold off once again. He did this rather than reading my ads text whereupon I also mention the artists verification and a photo of the letter from said artist.

His only rebuttal was to then question the letter, hand written by the artist, and its authenticity.

I had a difficult time selling that piece of art. I finally traded it off

So, you see, actually, I just get tired of all the "experts" online probably sitting in their parents basements, two days beyond their expiration date for their next shower, looking at art online calling fake, fake.

:)

Edited by warhorse

Meeley man ;)

Well, that certainly seems to be what you are projecting here. Despite "not having a horse in this race."

What it says about me is that I speak after thinking rather than just knee-jerk-speaking.

Really? Let us remember this for later.

I don't jump on a thread to agree that a seller on ebay, betson61, or whom ever he is, is knowingly selling something fraudulent.

A better course of action is to contact the guy, or simply pass on his items.

And that's fine, if that's what you want to do. Others want to stop the fakers and protect others who might be new or not as well-versed in the hobby. Thus, threads like this. Both are valid approaches. One is not better than the other.

I once had an item on ebay that had its legitimacy brought into question.

I pulled the item, contacted the artist. Months later I reposted it for sale and some bright light bulb immediately brought up that it was a fake from the past speak after thinking rather than just knee-jerk-speaking.trying to be sold off once again. He did this rather than reading my ads text whereupon I also mention the artists verification and a photo of the letter from said artist.

His only rebuttal was to then question the letter, hand written by the artist, and its authenticity.

I had a difficult time selling that piece of art. I finally traded it off

Ah, now your posts begin to make sense. So, this is a vendetta for you. To strike back at those who do as that person did to you. Except, they aren't that person. And the guys they are talking about aren't you (or so you've claimed). Misplaced rage is a very destructive thing. You should address yours, before it destroys you. Again, just friendly advice you are free to ignore.

So, you see, actually, I just get tired of all the "experts" online probably sitting in their parents basements, two days beyond their expiration date for their next shower, looking at art online calling fake, fake.

:)

Well, so much for "speaking after thinking rather than just knee-jerk-speaking." Or do you consider personal insults not a "knee-jerk" response? As I said, you really need to deal with your rage issues. All you've shown here, is that you have a grudge and chip on your shoulder, which is what inspired you to sign up here to post. And again, that doesn't say good things about you.

Well said meeley man, on all accounts. If I was attempted to insult or ding me in some way I'd probably have said things in much the same way.

That said, I've made no knee-jerk comments and I do think my comments through, I don't spend all day on a chat room with a high multitude of comments to my pseudonym, but I do take time to think before speaking.

I have no vendetta, nor rage issues.

If I did, I would have posted when that incident happened.

Actually, ironically, I feel for the fella selling the four items that initially caused my posting. I feel bad for him. Either for getting took, or simply because others said he did when in fact neither is known to be accurate.

If he did get took, he should contact Ducoso and settle in some manner.

Then, well, then Doug said what he did about someone I've done business with and happen to think differently about that piece Doug mentioned, and, I have seen the provenance on that piece.

Of course it would behoove Doug to drag down ebay. Hmmm. lol

I happen to be your normal gen X comic fan who happens to collect comic art and gets tired of people who make comments without wisdom/knowledge/understanding, or proof. In this case I felt for that seller, and no, I'm not him. I likely would have kept my mouth shut if people hadn't done exactly as most would and suggest I'm Ducoso, which, would be silly of him to do.....keep a negative thread about him alive.

If a person doesn't like a piece of art for sale or suspects it's legitimacy, pass, but it doesn't mean the seller (like the guy selling the four pieces) has any knowledge of it, nor that he even suspects it himself.

More likely he's selling something because he needs the funds for something else.

It drags our hobby down when people are non stop accusing so many pieces as being fake when there is nothing more than opinion and conjecture about a piece of art.

It does, it drags this hobby down.

Does Ducoso knowingly do wrong? Very likely, since 99% of his stuff is fake.

Does the ivory guy, highly not likely since 99% of his stuff is real, I've bought from him before. Has he been took himself and bought fake art. Perhaps, but idon't know that and if he did I don't think he knew it, he doesn't seem that sort.

When we see a piece we know, Know to be fake, someone should notify the seller. That's when they see a piece they KNOW to be fake; that's what should occur rather than say stay away and post on a thread on the Web that said seller is to be avoided.

Otherwise we drag down or hobby and begin to diminish sources that we can buy from. Sources such as ebay. What would we do if ebay stopped allowing the selling of original art? Or they limit who is allowed to sell... (by restricting civil rights). People such as the ivory tower guy.

Eventually we are left with a much limited or diminished number of sources where we can buy art. lol, I mean I've bought published work from ivory guy that iotherwise wouldn't if Doug had his way. Btw, I'm sure Doug would love to see ebay stop the selling of art. :)

Continuing on, that guy, the ivory guy, buys collections and flips them. How do i know? Because he sends me emails a couple times a year asking if I'm selling mine, though I've not heard from him much at all recently.

Finally, i love most of this hobby. Some things are unavoidable like ducoso, but I don't think pointing the finger at the guy selling the four pieces is the proper path.

I have said my peace and wish you well and hope your new year is prosperous.

Edited by warhorse

Meeley man ;)

If I was attempted to insult or ding me in some way I'd probably have said things in much the same way.

If he did get took, he should contact Ducoso and settle in some manner.

Then, well, then Doug said what he did about someone I've done business with and happen to think differently about that piece Doug mentioned, and, I have seen the provenance on that piece.

Has he been took himself and bought gales.

Here's the original ducoso traced the grinch from:

http://attemptedbloggery.blogspot.com/2011/12/the-grinch-by-dr-seuss.html

The original Sendak:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/maurice-sendak-drawings-auctions-swann_n_2431645.html

Alfred E Neuman:

http://www.tomrichmond.com/2014/07/07/monday-madness-how-to-draw-alfred/

All on the first google image hits page for each search.