• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2016 -- It's still Never too Early, October 6-9

351 posts in this topic

Seems like dscott knows something about JOCK at NYCC --

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=58&Number=9478944&Searchpage=1&Main=414134&Words=MondoCon&topic=0&Search=true#Post9478944

There's also this --

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9484894&fpart=1

He might be showing up for a panel or as guest at a particular booth and may not have a table in Artist Alley. Who knows? They keep adding more info weekly on the site so keep your eyes open.

Question.. Being this is Stan Lee's last year attending this con, I was looking to have him sign something.. I already have a ton of comics bought online that are signed by him so I figured I'd do something different for when and if I finally meet him in person.. So I was thinking of having him sign my Thor Hammer 1:1 scale (full size).

My question is, being the hammer is made of zinc/metal (weighs about 8 lbs) ..will I have a problem getting this into the convention? I remember last year seeing a dumpster of cosplay props, that appeared to be confiscated before entering, outside the convention.. tons of Captain America shields. I already spoke with Anastasia and they said Stan would gladly sign it so my main concern is will security let me walk through the door with it? I plan to obviously have it concealed in my backpack, probably wrapped with bubble wrap to hide it a little. I just dont want security thinking im gonna use it as a weapon lol.

Here's what it looks like...

Since you have attended before, you know that security goes through every backpack at the entrance. The security guards are very thorough.

Somewhat thorough.. they just take a quick glance. But not that Im trying to sneak in or could even attempt to sneak pass a Thor hammer, I just need to know what the protocol is for having props signed. I tried messaging Reedpop a few weeks back as well but no response.

There's two versions of this hammer, one being made from pvc plastic and the other zinc metal. I've seen pics of the hammer signed before but not sure which version it was, they both look the same. Im sure getting the pvc hammer in the con is not an issue, but the metal version is what has me concerned.

Anyone have experience with bringing something like this in to the convention? Thanks

There are many friendly dealers on this board. You can ask them to bring it in with their stock. Or, any of the several boardies who are looking for an exhibitor badge here can also get this past security...if they acquire their highly sought after badge.

I've never had them look at anything I have and I always have a backpack, a giant tote and a briefcase on wheels

I love how verification is now going to reopen for a few days. Gotta get those last few passes sold!!! :P Yes, it was common to share a multi day pass with a friend, but was that really that big a deal?

There must be a better method than this. I feel like I got screwed out of a 3 or 4 day pass by people that were trying to "scalp" within the verified system, when I was stuck in the line for 45 minutes when I logged in the second it hit 12 PM, but was forced to log out because I have a job. I was "happy" to get the one day passes, but now that seems like the waiting and stressing on day one was pointless. I played by their rules, but why?

Comic Con is re-opening the verification process because there are many people who purchased tickets for friends and family who either didn't fill out a verification form, didn't know they needed a verification form or were denied verification because of a computer glitch. Yes, all the requirements to purchase and assign the tickets purchased were spelled out in the fax sheet but people misunderstood or didn't carefully read the rules. I don't know how many passes we're talking about but I doubt it is a very large number. Comic Con is trying to do the right thing for these fans who waited in the online queue and purchased tickets in good faith that they then thought they would be able to assign to friends and family.

If you look at the number of tickets available on ebay through scalpers, you'll notice there are far less than previous years. Last night I counted only 55 passes available on ebay. In the past, there were multiple pages with hundreds available. Even if you estimate the total number of passes available through scalpers on ebay and stub hub to be a thousand, that is about a half of one percent of the total attendance at last years convention [170,000]. I don't think it is possible to stop all scalping but that is a very low figure. To blame scalpers for you not getting a pass this year or to complain that Comic Con re-opening the verification process is enabling the scalpers to get more tickets is disingenuous. There are just not enough passes to accommodate everyone who would like to attend. The convention has outgrown the capacity of the Javits Center.

Verification is re-opening at 9:00 AM EDT Monday July 11 and closes at 12:00 PM EDT [noon] Tuesday July 12. This is a little over 24 hours and not "days." If you fill out a fan verification form during that time period, you can verify an email address for an already purchased ticket, as long as you do it between Wednesday, July 13 at 12:00 PM (noon) EDT and Thursday, July 14 at 11:59 PM EDT. After that window of opportunity expires, any non-verified tickets purchased will be refunded and will eventually be re-sold to anyone who has filled out a fan verification form, whether that was previous to this re-opening period or not. If you are verified or take advantage to verify in this re-opened period, you will have an opportunity to purchase any passes which are returned to Comic Con because they were not assigned to a valid email address.

So if I have a four day passes they are limited to one person? My wife can't use one on saturday and then i use it for a friend of my kid's on sunday? Are they checking IDs or is it a matter of just needing to verify? (I'm dumb here, I usually get my passes a couple of weeks before the show from a friend in the industry)