• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Barks' Duck books are so timeless. I posted a picture of my two-month old son Robbie last Christmas. I gave him a copy of Four Color 367 "A Christmas for Shacktown." Today was his first birthday and I gave him a copy of "Trick or Treat." Here is a picture.

Robbie1stbirthday.jpg

1778213723_c614d84ce3_b.jpg

I thought Rosa was still doing duck stories. I can't tell the difference between the new stories and the reprints. I don't know if he does commissions. It would be kind of nice to get a painting or two. He probably has lots of art stored away. I have seen his comic collections for sale at Heritage or Comiclink (I am not sure which). I really don't know much about him but I like his stories.

bb

Thanks a lot, Scrooge. It is particularly interesting to see Barks refer to his early comic book efforts.

All the biographies I have read claim that the chicken farm did not work out. After seeing Barks' paystubs from the late 1940s I am no longer so sure. The $150 or so that he was making per week in the mid-late 40s must have been far more than what he could have made on the chickens. On the other hand, the divorce payments to his alcoholic first wife, a failed second marriage, and financial problems related to the farm could have been a substancial burden.

I remember reading some of Barks' early correspondence with Whitman in the new "Collected Works". I'll see if I can dig that up. It seems likely to me that his income from comic books from the very start would have been higher than his salary at the studio. I forget the latter (I posted it recently in another thread), but was somewhere between $30 and $70/week. Who wouldn't have been lured by a higher income, more flexibility, and an exciting new medium? On the other hand, comic books must also have appeared as very high risk back then so perhaps Barks didn't want to put all his eggs in one basket?

As another comparison, I just read that the workers on the Golden Gate bridge were making $27.50/week in the mid 1930s and that this was considered a very good salary back then.

Barks' Duck books are so timeless. I posted a picture of my two-month old son Robbie last Christmas. I gave him a copy of Four Color 367 "A Christmas for Shacktown." Today was his first birthday and I gave him a copy of "Trick or Treat." Here is a picture.

Robbie1stbirthday.jpg

Is that grape jelly on his hands?

1778213723_c614d84ce3_b.jpg

I thought Rosa was still doing duck stories. I can't tell the difference between the new stories and the reprints. I don't know if he does commissions. It would be kind of nice to get a painting or two. He probably has lots of art stored away. I have seen his comic collections for sale at Heritage or Comiclink (I am not sure which). I really don't know much about him but I like his stories.

bb

Well, you know what they say about immitation?

Sorry for posting non-duck stuff, but I just got my first Barks original art couple of days ago...

Inked.jpg

Looks a bit like Madame Triple X from Dangerous Disguise, doesn't she? (Four Color 308)

Anyone have scans from that book? can't find a pic of her anywhere.

1781191648_309c778b35_b.jpg

Scan of Madam Triple X as requested. Good thing Donald only has three fingers. He woulda lost one. A little more violent than some of Bark's stories. But less violent than a dinosaur stampede. I think your scan of the original art looks just like her but is it one of his later Calgary Eye-Opener girls? He did a lot of harem jokes.

bb

Art is from the forties so it's not Galgary Eye Opener stuff.

I was just wondering if this was done while he was already doing duck-comics. Stylewise it seems possible since it's quite close to what Barks did when he drew tryout stories with human-figures circa 1950.

Congratulations, Arty! I noticed you won this and was very happy to see it find a good home. This is a terrific drawing that stood out among all the other originals from the Barks estate. I would have bid myself if it had not been for the historically important payroll ledgers that I unfortunately didn't get.

As another comparison, I just read that the workers on the Golden Gate bridge were making $27.50/week in the mid 1930s and that this was considered a very good salary back then.

There would`ve been a big difference between a "good salary" in the mid 1930s (height of the Great Depression) and in the mid-1940s (massive government demand driving up up salaries)

1781191648_309c778b35_b.jpg

Scan of Madam Triple X as requested. Good thing Donald only has three fingers. He woulda lost one. A little more violent than some of Bark's stories. But less violent than a dinosaur stampede. I think your scan of the original art looks just like her but is it one of his later Calgary Eye-Opener girls? He did a lot of harem jokes.

bb

The freaky thing about Madam Triple X is that she appears to be a real human being, as opposed to the humanoid dogs that Barks typically used as "people".

The freaky thing about Madam Triple X is that she appears to be a real human being, as opposed to the humanoid dogs that Barks typically used as "people".

Am I wrong or is this the famous story where after submission/publication, the editors told Barks to never draw humans in the strip again?