• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

Nice pick ups, Matt! The DD #26 looks like an amazingly sharp 7.0.
Agreed. And I'll take the light shadow on the 108 anyday in such a sharp 6.5.

Nice pick ups, Matt! The DD #26 looks like an amazingly sharp 7.0.
Agreed. And I'll take the light shadow on the 108 anyday in such a sharp 6.5.

Thanks guys! I don't mind the light shadow either since it's well disguised. And the book sold for quite a bit under guide, so I'm happy. :)

I love the colors on the duck comics, always so bright and vivid. Everytime I see them I can't help but think about as a kid watching Disney 6:00 every Sunday night.

Edited by kidcolt

Some results on the Ducks in the Comiclink auction. One caveat. Due to a lack of time and energy on my part, I have not captured all of the Ducks auctioned at Comiclink this month. But I thought these were interesting.

FC 386 CGC 7.5 sold for $801. Last GPA was in '05 for $600. Given that the 7.0 File Copy sold in Feb 08 for $1912 :o and an 8.0 sold in Nov 07 for $1015, this seems a very reasonable price.

FC 108 CGC 6.5 sold for $375. Three GPA sales in the last 6 months were 395, 450 and 388.

The FC 159 was PGX 7.0 and sold for $325. Assuming the grade is right and there's no restoration, the last GPA was Feb 08 for $388 and the 12 month avg is $329.

Holy cow!! Has anyone seen the prices on the Uncle Scrooges in the Heritage signature auction? They're all over $2100 already, even the 9.4 copies! :o

maybe a couple of folks that really want?

Really want would be the understatement of the century. And crazy. These books are not that rare in that grade (or at least won`t be, if these are top of census).

Maybe the same buyers of zilla4f`s SAs have decided to become Duck collectors? lol

Looks like there was something wrong with those bids, as I just noticed that the current bids are back to normal levels.

Score

Got me TWO Kite Fun Books

:

First was last thursday. A PG&E library file copy from COMICLINK

number2.jpg

And then today, best of all. This is a WESTERN file copy and is a New, fourth variant. The SCE and PG&E are well known. There is one known of Florida Power and light. The difference between FP&L and SCE are few, the biggest is supposed to be a truck on SCEthat has SCE logo on the door and it's gone on FP&L copy. I would guess this one is similar to FP&L and was created without a utility name in the box to use to try and sell copies to other utilities. I've been watching it since January, when it showed up in heritage's coming soon. Now it's coming here. I wanted for my Kite Fun collection, and figured it I didn't get today it would disappear overseas without a second chance to ever get it. It is probably unique. Someday I will bust it out of the holder to get a look inside.

Dave is Happy Today (wife not so much)

number1.jpg

Edited by Kite_Fun_Books

Congratulations on the two Kite books. The PG&E is nice, of course, but the blank label version is really special. Until I saw this copy, I had only heard third hand reports about Kim W. owning a copy of this and the Florida versions. Based on my own experience collecting Disney books over the last 20 years, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that this is a strong candidate for the rarest Disney comic ever published.

I would be very curious to see the interior page with the panel that is different in the PG&E and SCE versions. I suspect this version has the same art as one of the other two. If not, however, it would be the first unknown Barks artwork to be discovered for over 30 years. Just in case you do have such an unknown panel, you may consider contacting Egmont before you show it to anyone else.

I would have bid on this book myself but decided to give priority to another lot.

Yes. I wanted to fill the biggest gap in my collection between 1957 and 1962. This page was from 1959.

Congratulations!!! (worship)

Page 5 from the story below. Certainly not Barks at his best, but these pages are so rare that you don't have much choice as a collector. The 10 pages from this story are pretty much all the original art that has survived from the years 1956-61 (not counting 3 covers, a few unpublished panels, and an unpublished story permanently locked in the Disney Archives). They are also the only published panel pages from the 1950s in existence. Aside from a halfpage that sold privately a few years ago, this example is the first I have seen for sale in the last 10 years.

The price, $10K, is about the least you could hope to pay for an original Duck page from this era. I recently bought an early 1960s original featuring Scrooge for a much higher price per panel. The prices are highly subjective - much more so than for comics.

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Barks/1960/wanttobuy/Thumbnails.html

Yes. I wanted to fill the biggest gap in my collection between 1957 and 1962. This page was from 1959.

Wow! Let me join everybody else in the thread in congratulating you! (worship)

Thanks, everyone. One particularly rewarding aspect of the Barks art collection is that it allows me to help promote Barks' legacy by lending it to museums. I love collecting comics, but it is rewarding on a different level to help make the original drawings accessible to 100,000+ fans. During the recent Barks exhibit in Austria, I was told by the organizers that owners of some key pieces refused to lend them because "they were too valuable". That made me both sad, upset, and even more intent on expanding my collection so I can help make the art available to any fan who would like to see it. These originals are just as exceptional as they are rare, but you really have to see them in person to fully appreciate Barks' talent.

way to go tb! Question for you. As a fan of barks originals, what's your opinion of the painted barks works? I've never been quite sure what to think of them (in some respects they look great, but on the other hand he is really a line art artist not a painter so the work just leaves me....... unsatisfied somehow). Mind you, I have never seen one in person.