• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Some serious bidding going on tonight for early raw Scrooge books on eBay! Maybe the top 10 appearance did help open more eyes to our corner of the market 😂

But meanwhile someone got an absolute steal on a #6. That book is hard to find in nice shape. If really 6.5 then it would be about 6th on the census. (Wish I'd bid on it even though I already have a 6.5)

10 hours ago, AJD said:

But meanwhile someone got an absolute steal on a #6. That book is hard to find in nice shape. If really 6.5 then it would be about 6th on the census. (Wish I'd bid on it even though I already have a 6.5)

Wow! Somehow I missed that. Would have bid for sure. I think mine is nicer but, at that price, I'd take another! :)

US_6_Front.thumb.jpg.34501586644fce240cea1924c35eb006.jpg

Maybe already discussed, but I noticed that at least 2 issues of WDCS have a "star" on cover: 1 & 5. I found relevant photos around the web.

Anybody able to explain the purpose of the "star"? Maybe copies for former MMM subscribers?

It could be classified as a "variant"!

6 hours ago, DavideD said:

Maybe already discussed, but I noticed that at least 2 issues of WDCS have a "star" on cover: 1 & 5. I found relevant photos around the web.

Anybody able to explain the purpose of the "star"? Maybe copies for former MMM subscribers?

It could be classified as a "variant"!

Maybe @Yellow Kid could offer a clue?

Interesting to see that there is a Duck book (FC 108) from the Promise collection in the next Heritage Signature auction.  I was wondering if the OO bought any Duck books.

It will be really interesting if there are more Duck books in the collection, as the 1943-50 main period of the collection is a prime period for GA Ducks.  The conspicuous absence of Duck books in many top pedigrees (notably the Church collection) has always made me sad.

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Interesting to see that there is a Duck book (FC 108) from the Promise collection in the next Heritage Signature auction.  I was wondering if the OO bought any Duck books.

It will be really interesting if there are more Duck books in the collection, as the 1943-50 main period of the collection is a prime period for GA Ducks.  The conspicuous absence of Duck books in many top pedigrees (notably the Church collection) has always made me sad.

It’s a 9.8?!?! :whatthe:

On 7/20/2021 at 2:37 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I have been looking at my ducks and enjoying the memories associated with most of them.  Dangerous Disguise (FC 308) has always been a favorite from the time I bought it at the drugstore and found Barks using real people in the story.  

Barks DD Four Color 308.jpg

Rich that is really a fun book. I remember the first time that I read it and loved the scenes of Donald on the train dealing with spies. I bet the editors at Western were a bit flummoxed by this issue and supposedly told him to knock it off afterwards. Beautiful colors on that book!

On 7/20/2021 at 4:40 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Rich that is really a fun book. I remember the first time that I read it and loved the scenes of Donald on the train dealing with spies. I bet the editors at Western were a bit flummoxed by this issue and supposedly told him to knock it off afterwards. Beautiful colors on that book!

I always wondered about why he did this issue with humans. Definately an experiment he never tried again.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, Badger said:

I always wondered about why he did this issue with humans. Definately an experiment he never tried again.

It might have been in the Mike Barrier issue of Funnyworld about Barks where they discussed this; however that is a recollection from 45 years ago so it could well be elsewhere I read it.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It might have been in the Mike Barrier issue of Funnyworld about Barks where they discussed this; however that is a recollection from 45 years ago so it could well be elsewhere I read it.

Could be Frank. It's also in Barrier's book 'Carl Barks and the art of the comic book'. (p.68 in my paperback copy.)

He also mentions that there are realistic humans in 'The magic hourglass'.