• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,440 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2021 at 5:55 AM, AJD said:

Always a favourite. Here's the 1971 Australian reprint edition in which I first read that story, aged 8. Australian books were 32 pages including the covers so one page had to be cut. It was many years later that I first got to see the guy with the bird wings who got in Donald's way.

G507.jpg.24c0f65fdb5cdcb7ac783f976d2eff07.jpg

Nice. Do you have the  Donald Duck D Series n° 30 or the Walt Disney Giant Comics 7 ?

On 6/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Somewhere out there is a duck collector with very deep  pockets who really wanted the FC 178, CGC 9.6, in yesterday's Heritage auction.  It made me take a look at mine which sadly reminded me that the cover had experienced a production error and wasn't cut straight.  Obviously not  a CGC 9.6 but I have always been happy with it.

Barks DD Four Color 178.jpg

Beautiful copy Rich; these are tough to find nice copies with the non gloss covers.Certainly one of the best of the Four Color run!

Hopefully one of the things that the sale of the 9.6 copy on Heritage does is put more of a spotlight on it.  It's been criminally underrated, in my opinion.

It's the first appearance of one of the great comic book characters, and someone who was created solely in the comic books for comic books and not simply the comic book version of an existing Disney character.  He was also the greatest creation of Carl Barks and the main character in many of Barks' best stories.  

29 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Hopefully one of the things that the sale of the 9.6 copy on Heritage does is put more of a spotlight on it.  It's been criminally underrated, in my opinion.

It's the first appearance of one of the great comic book characters, and someone who was created solely in the comic books for comic books and not simply the comic book version of an existing Disney character.  He was also the greatest creation of Carl Barks and the main character in many of Barks' best stories.  

This won’t hurt 😂

A6341B7F-F795-40A9-B554-8F14829C558D.jpeg

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Agreed.  The fact that this is the only a-list Disney character I'm aware of who was created specifically for comics has been overlooked for a long time.  Everybody else, you can get their first comic book appearance... Scrooge, you get his first appearance full stop.

I've had my copy since the 90's, I was happy to get it then and I'm still happy to have it now:

FC_0178.jpg

4 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Are there any other Disney characters who were created in print prior to appearing on screen? Don’t think Gyro was ever used outside of Duck Tales… 

Beagle boys?  And I’m not positive where Ludwig von Drake first appeared, comics or animation.

4 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Are there any other Disney characters who were created in print prior to appearing on screen? Don’t think Gyro was ever used outside of Duck Tales… 

There is 11210 registered Disney characters, so the answer is a soundly yes.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Agreed.  The fact that this is the only a-list Disney character I'm aware of who was created specifically for comics

Huey, Dewey and Louie were comics creations, although in comics strips.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:28 AM, tth2 said:

Unfortunately it has a terrible cover. These days that matters a lot. A Scrooge appearance on the cover would be a different matter.

That said, I rather like mine.

large.FC_178.jpg.ba3dcda4ec9221c09c5988d4ea0065c6.jpg

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

The fact that this is the only a-list Disney character I'm aware of who was created specifically for comics has been overlooked for a long time.  Everybody else, you can get their first comic book appearance... Scrooge, you get his first appearance full stop.

(thumbsu

3 hours ago, AJD said:

A Scrooge appearance on the cover would be a different matter.

But that's kind of the point, he was a throwaway character, who could have just as easily vanished into the annals of Duck trivia.  There would've been no reason for him to be on the cover.

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Unfortunately it has a terrible cover. These days that matters a lot. A Scrooge appearance on the cover would be a different matter.

That said, I rather like mine.

large.FC_178.jpg.ba3dcda4ec9221c09c5988d4ea0065c6.jpg

I disagree. I think this is a great cover and, once the story is read, it becomes even better. It also is the first cover appearance of Uncle Scrooge; He's just in a bear suit.:insane: 

On 6/21/2021 at 1:00 PM, dikran1 said:

Gyro’s first appeared with a single line in the Sport Goofy Soccermania.  The nephews ask Uncle Scrooge to purchase a trophy.  Being the tightwad, he gives them an old trophy not realizing it is worth one million dollars.  Here is a paused frame with Gyro and his helper.

646F2689-B667-4409-8E9E-70263CAB1CE7.png

14 hours ago, Jonathan78 said:

First Phooey Duck I’ve heard-a Barks error retconned

786E228E-92D5-4386-BE7B-6E064C5A5963.jpeg

Oh boy this took me down a very deep rabbit hole… 😳😳

Had no idea this was a thing!