• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

In 1973 a St. Louis collector, Tom Kelley, commissioned R. Beaubien to paint ten oil paintings of Barks FC covers.  The paintings are such accurate  reproductions that the images must have been transferred to the canvass board mechanically and then painted.  Like so many senior collectors, Tom began selling his collection a few years ago and I got the pick of the litter: FC 199.

Barks FC 199 by R Beaubien 1973.jpg

On 5/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, Yellow Kid said:

The Price Guide states that five copies of the Complimentary Copy of WDCS #4 are known, making it the rarest duck book known.  The Price Guide lists it at about a 50% premium to a regular copy of WDCS #4.  Some people think it is worth less, some people think it is worth more, what do you think?  I thought it would be interesting to see what a you think as most of you are active collectors.

It should be worthy more, given the massive disparity in scarciness. That being said, I believe many people are desinterested in it due to the yellow rectangle size. It is a bit too big and that makes it is too intrusive. If it was a small yellow rectangle, it would make all the difference IMO.

By the way, there are other ducks books outside the US that are probably on similar level of scarciness or perhaps even more.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:02 PM, Yellow Kid said:

The Price Guide states that five copies of the Complimentary Copy of WDCS #4 are known, making it the rarest duck book known.  The Price Guide lists it at about a 50% premium to a regular copy of WDCS #4.  Some people think it is worth less, some people think it is worth more, what do you think?  I thought it would be interesting to see what a you think as most of you are active collectors. 

WDCS #4 Complimentary Copy.jpg

A friend of mine has the CGC 4.5, but he has all the WDCS plus everything about Disney that is on Overstreet (as he said once, Overstreet 2003). Nice copy to add if you have all the others, indeed. It's certaintly something that would sell quite high on HA or at other auctions houses.

8 hours ago, AJD said:

Always a favourite. Here's the 1971 Australian reprint edition in which I first read that story, aged 8. Australian books were 32 pages including the covers so one page had to be cut. It was many years later that I first got to see the guy with the bird wings who got in Donald's way.

G507.jpg.24c0f65fdb5cdcb7ac783f976d2eff07.jpg

Such a great cover! I like the colors on the Australian reprint even more. @AJD Do you know if there were any newsstand posters in Australia showing covers of those Disney books? (I collect comic book advertising posters from all time frames, preferably in the dimensions of approx. 29,7 cm x 42,0 cm = 11,7 in x 16,5 in.)

11 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

7EF067C1-7037-4B98-87BD-8C6B6AC5270A.jpeg

One of the all time greats! Since Barks was an egg farmer for awhile I bet he drew a lot of inspiration from that experience for this story. Side note - we buy fresh eggs out in a place called Chino CA some weekends. I always wondered how they always seemed to have plenty of eggs because from the outside the place doesn't look so big. So I asked how many chickens they had. 35,000 chickens and 20,000 eggs per day was the reply; guess the place is a whole lot bigger than it looks with coops out of site in the back. That's a lot of chickens! Never got a square egg though.

10 hours ago, Pickie said:

Such a great cover! I like the colors on the Australian reprint even more. @AJD Do you know if there were any newsstand posters in Australia showing covers of those Disney books? (I collect comic book advertising posters from all time frames, preferably in the dimensions of approx. 29,7 cm x 42,0 cm = 11,7 in x 16,5 in.)

I've never seen one. They were always just on a rack in the local newsagency when I was buying them. And I've never seen anything like it on the secondary market.

18 hours ago, AJD said:

G507.jpg.24c0f65fdb5cdcb7ac783f976d2eff07.jpg

Something I just noticed here - the Australian book has different colour caps on HD&L while the Dell edition has them all the same. I'm sure that's significant, somehow. :insane:

15 hours ago, AJD said:

I've never seen one. They were always just on a rack in the local newsagency when I was buying them. And I've never seen anything like it on the secondary market.

I haven't either ... Thanks for the heads-up! 🙂

On 6/6/2021 at 10:56 PM, Yellow Kid said:

Like so many senior collectors, Tom began selling his collection a few years ago and I got the pick of the litter: FC 199.

"selling his collection" is doing some heavy lifting here.  :roflmao: Was this part of the first auction or the second or privately?  No disrespect intended to Tom or to you.  It's just that the story of at least one of the times Tom sold off comics is a fun one.  I chuckle every time I think about it.  I've met him and he is/was? a nice guy and sold me one of my first early Barks books I ever owned.