• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad News - R.I.P. Richard Olson - Yellow Kid
6 6

108 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear another friend of our hobby and these Boards has passed.  All the best to his family and those who loved him.

I wonder what should/can be done to preserve his knowledge. "...he not only loved the hunt but also the documentation of his finds for research purposes."  If that research is written down or available on audio tape or whatever, it should be preserved.

Richard invited me to his home back in 2019, and I had a wonderful time with him and Gayle.  There could not have been more gracious hosts.

I was hoping to make it out again this year, but his health would not allow it.

RIP.  :sorry:

On 5/6/2023 at 8:17 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Rich and I shared a love of the Carl Barks one shot Four Color books. We both were particularly enamored with Frozen Gold. When I first met Rich on the boards I was still in pursuit of a nice copy and had been on the hunt for something like forty years! Rich loved sharing a story of how he scored his first copy in the basement of a used book store on Colorado Avenue in Pasadena. Since I lived in the Pasadena area that story always had a special resonance for me as I had always haunted used bookstores since I was a kid back in New Jersey.

I was finally able to obtain my copy of Frozen Gold a number of years ago and Rich was the first person I reached out to to share the good news. He really understood what it meant to look for these grails and then finally land them!

I’m pretty sure that’s why he branched out into the world of Yellow Kid pinbacks. They were such a hard to find commodity and he not only loved the hunt but also the documentation of his finds for research purposes. Since my Grandmother was the daughter of Irish immigrants settling in New York in the late 1800’s we would discuss the historical aspect of the pins in the context of the Irish immigration.

Here’s my copy of Four Color #62!!

tn_fourcolor62cgc.jpg.048dd53d9bb5eeaa5635d5358dec2bec.jpg

Yep, that book store was The Book Nook at the corner of Fair Oaks and Colorado in what at that time, was a very bad part of town.

Me and my buddies would ride out bikes there in the mid ‘60’s. The old guy had a couple of boxes of used somewhat current mostly Marvel, DC, Archie ect for 10 cents each. Nothing real old but once I fished a Superman #9 and a couple others out of a stack of old life mags. Penciled on the back was $3.00. He wasn’t going to sell them until I pulled out $9.00 then he caved.

Every once in a while if we could distract him, we would find more.

The rumor was the “good stuff” was in the basement. But just local “folklore” as we were to scared to go there.

Rich got in though. He was a little older and had more money than we did. He told me of the stacks of old comics the guy let him go through.