• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, sfcityduck said:

Clink sale did not do the book justice.  It wasn’t a Covid bounce at Heritage.  It was an appreciation for a frigging rare unicorn.  Best copy, better than the file copies, and it is a subscription variant. Feel sorry for the seller if he was the buyer at Heritage. Lost multiples.

Buying a Duck book on Heritage and then selling it on Comiclink makes no sense.   

I wasn't able to make the live auction but I thought my bid of $3300 gave me a considerable chance on this issue:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-71-three-caballeros-dell-1945-cgc-nm-92-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122342-15083.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Beautiful Book though.  Cleanest 9.2 I ever saw and graded way back in 2004.  I'm sure it'd get an even higher grade with a re-submission.

I loved that movie as a kid and the recent show was phenomenal.  I give it a 9.5 out of 10.  I'd borderline kill if they made a second season

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 10/15/2023 at 7:31 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

I wasn't able to make the live auction but I thought my bid of $3300 gave me a considerable chance on this issue:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-71-three-caballeros-dell-1945-cgc-nm-92-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122342-15083.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Beautiful Book though.  Cleanest 9.2 I ever saw and graded way back in 2004.  I'm sure it'd get an even higher grade with a re-submission.

I loved that movie as a kid and the recent show was phenomenal.  I give it a 9.5 out of 10.  I'd borderline kill if they made a second season

I need to find myself a reader copy, it's one of the major Walt Kelly books I'm missing.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, OtherEric said:

I need to find myself a reader copy, it's one of the major Walt Kelly books I'm missing.

I knew that book was going to go for $$$ but I'm shocked at the price. Anyway happy to have the copy I bought in the seventies; it's always been one of my favorites and one I would love to upgrade but not at that price point.

FourColor71cover.thumb.jpg.fa5b2c6b6938adc40f94442aa7d05c15.jpg

FourColor71back.thumb.jpg.860cd43fb8ca6566228ea56b7c5e2f82.jpg

There was an amazing group of WDC&S's that just sold in Heritage's weekly auction.  I say "amazing" because there were a number of issues that I had never seen in 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6 before.   

On 10/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, tth2 said:

There was an amazing group of WDC&S's that just sold in Heritage's weekly auction.  I say "amazing" because there were a number of issues that I had never seen in 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6 before.   

Yep!  Couldn't make the live auction but threw in which I thought were solid bids for the Four Color 71 and the WDC&S #64 but lost both.

Wish I made it.  I probably would have threw in a higher bid for the WDC&S 82 and the WDC&S #76.  I love the Christmas Covers, especially when Walt Kelly does them

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 10/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

OK Ducks are insane again. Luckily for those of us who prefer to collect in the less stratospheric realms deals on decent books still abound.

WDCS 64 on Heritage; a beautiful book but my God the price!!

image.thumb.png.11199b29cad7872b2b0be60a741d4b78.png

I thought that copy was a bargain at that price!  I've never seen a NM copy of that book before.  There were some genuinely tough WDC&S's in grade in this auction.

Of course, the fact that they were being consigned by Doug means that probably some were pressed and resubbed from a lower grade copy, but still, these weren't the typical recycles of the same issues that are more easily found in high grade.   

I had the same thoughts.  Especially when I see these Super Hero Books that are far more common, crappier condition, and fetch for far more ridiculous prices.

Finding some Golden Age Duck Books may not be the biggest challenge in the world, but grades like that?  Those are rare and real treasures in my books.

To me, the books that had a combination like Donald Duck/Barks/Kelly/Buettner had this charm to them, almost magical.