• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
4 4

2,041 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, paperheart said:

revealed four days ago: review embargo lifts two days prior to release. have no fear, we have shiny posters to look at instead.

Wonder Woman's embargo lifted on a Monday (May 29), which was two days before the Wednesday early release. How'd that turn out?

bosco, it's just a feeling i'm getting, but i've got $20 paypal bucks that say this thing will be sub-60% on r.t.   p.m. me if you're on.  i raise this only because you've invoked ww, the only "fresh" d.c. extended u flick.

Just now, Straw-Man said:

bosco, it's just a feeling i'm getting, but i've got $20 paypal bucks that say this thing will be sub-60% on r.t.   p.m. me if you're on.  i raise this only because you've invoked ww, the only "fresh" d.c. extended u flick.

Man of Steel was just as refreshing, and plenty of folks enjoy this movie. It's just with Wonder Woman there is finally a middle ground for folks to appreciate, versus those that are so offended by Henry Cavill's performance as not "their Superman" it turns into an overly heated debate.

Rather than the RT score, I'll bet you on the ten-point scale. Critics will land at 6.5/10.0 or better by the end of week one of release. Because, you know, you waved your hand out there.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Man of Steel was just as refreshing, and plenty of folks enjoy this movie. It's just with Wonder Woman there is finally a middle ground for folks to appreciate, versus those that are so offended by Henry Cavill's performance as not "their Superman" it turns into an overly heated debate.

Rather than the RT score, I'll bet you on the ten-point scale. Critics will land at 6.5/10.0 or better by the end of week one of release. Because, you know, you waved your hand out there.

i'm a man of steel fan, and would give it an easy thumbs-up.  as to the bet, we use that r.t. "average rating" score just below the tomatometer?

2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i'm a man of steel fan, and would give it an easy thumbs-up.  as to the bet, we use that r.t. "average rating" score just below the tomatometer?

Same one that Man of Steel has a 6.2/10.0 and Wonder Woman a 7.5/10.0 from critics.

I would have leaned towards a 6.8/10.0 or better, but once they started posting Zack Snyder more recently, I think there are critics that just cannot let go of their dislike for this approach. Even with the horrible situation his family has been dealing with. They are almost blinded to a production when he is involved.

No way Man of Steel deserved 55% with strong villains such as Zod and Faora. I wonder if it is Sucker Punch they get fixated on, with strong visuals yet light story.

I embargo lift close to release will always be seen as lack of confidence by the studio.  Now granted WB may be trying t protect themselves because the previous few films (other than WW) got shelled, so they are looking to avoid bad press.  They know they can not have 2 weeks of bad reviews leading up to release.  It is far better to have people go in cold, than to have bad reviews.  The die hards will see the movie no matter what, WB is worried about the casual fans who could be turned off.

Now Thor is using the good reviews to the films advantage.  Now this may be somewhat skewed by the rolling release the movie has had, but the embargo was lifted more than 2 weeks ahead of US release, and if projections are correct could stand to help the box office.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Could the review embargo also be due to maybe a surprise or two in the movie

That's what I was thinking too (though I wouldn't be surprised by bad reviews either).  I think most people are pretty sure a superman resurrection will be part of the plot, but what about the GL app??? or Darkseid???  There's probably at least a few things they don't want spoiled.  I think expectations seem pretty tepid overall about this movie still, and I think it'll be a pleasant surprise in positive way.  I don't know if it will be wonder woman good, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't AT LEAST the 2nd best movie out of the DCEU (which isn't necessarily saying a bunch), and make it a reasonable cornerstone to keep doing movies.

I think WB knows they have a turkey on their hands -- a disjointed CGI mess, despite Joss Whedon's best efforts in editing and with adding more Wonder Woman (and Themiscyra) scenes.

That said, there's something to be said for the secrecy angle too. (Although, Warner Bros. has proven they've run a tight ship -- and managed to keep Matt Damon's appearance in Interstellar a secret under embargo despite early previews)

I think there's zero chance we don't see Green Lantern in this film.

Again - the original Aquaman poster said "Unite the Seven" -- makes far more sense to be referencing the seven members of the Justice League than the seven seas.

So, it's a given that Superman returns, and Green Lantern appears. If they add Supergirl and/or Darkseid on top of that, we may be in for a treat.

Edited by Gatsby77

What is with all the speculation about the embargo?  Warner Brothers embargoes almost everything, even their non-DC films.  That means speculating on a reason for an embargo on JLA is pointless.  They embargoed "Dunkirk," and that one's probably going to get nominated for best picture.

One thing is these great Thor reviews are not going to help Justice League.

Why? Because it will be compared to it just like BvS was compared to the critical blockbuster hit Deadpool.

Very bad timing in away for JLA. Here is hoping the Wonder Woman magic strikes twice! (thumbsu

I forget now--was Geoff Johns put into the Kevin Feige position before or after Snyder was chosen to helm this film?

Which film will be--or was--the first that was conceived of after Johns had direct control of the studio?  Wonder Woman had Patty Jenkins before Johns took over, didn't it?

On 10/28/2017 at 6:05 PM, paperheart said:

revealed four days ago: review embargo lifts two days prior to release. have no fear, we have shiny posters to look at instead.

Have no fear, paperheart will find the dark cloud for any WB/DC pre-release. lol

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Wait--does Geoff Johns run DC Films, or does he co-run it?  Wikipedia says that Johns and Jon Berg share control over the studio.  I was unaware of that if it's true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Films

I would not be surprised. Based on how they appear to run things, I doubt WB would give a comic writer full control. They seem to be a company that likes to keep a tight reign on things, for better and for worse. (shrug)

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing is these great Thor reviews are not going to help Justice League.

Why? Because it will be compared to it just like BvS was compared to the critical blockbuster hit Deadpool.

Very bad timing in away for JLA. Here is hoping the Wonder Woman magic strikes twice! (thumbsu

The marketing and previous character build up for Ragnarok has also been much better.  From past movies you already know a good amount about the major players and how they will tie into this latest story.  And the previews give you a look into the actual story!

In comparison, JLA looks like its building up to be yet another BvS  - a disjointed mess of half explained stuff happening, whose only saving grace was that it made me really want to see Wonder Woman.  From the previews, I can see that Flash likes to tell jokes, and Ben Affleckman is still brooding. 

Edited by mattn792

Just now, kimik said:

I would not be surprised. Based on how they appear to run things, I doubt WB would give a comic writer full control. They seem to be a company that likes to keep a tight reign on things, for better and for worse. (shrug)

But they need an equivalent to Kevin Feige, and I thought they realized that last year by tapping Johns to take that spot.  I was wrong, I guess?  ???

Just now, fantastic_four said:

But they need an equivalent to Kevin Feige, and I thought they realized that last year by tapping Johns to take that spot.  I was wrong, I guess?  ???

Agreed re: needing an equivalent to Feige, but I see three main differences:

1) Disney bought Marvel with Feige already well established as the head of Marvel Studios and the success of Iron Man under his belt. 

2) WB is a smaller studio in the grand scheme of things with what appears to be more of a cautious and/or controlling approach on its projects. 

3) Snyder's early lack of success coupled with Johns' lack of experience would make a corporate culture like WB nervous.