• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bird said:

Also, I seem to be hung up on the idea that there should be 7 members here. But Batman Superman WW Flash Aquamamoa and Cyborg is it, right?

My guess is that the 7th member, GL, will join at the end of this movie or the next one.

For what it's worth, I have an issue with 'funny Thor' because it breaks the overall mood/arc of the character in a way that feels too abrupt from what's come before.  Apart from a few lines that played funny on their own ('He's adopted?'), Thor's been pretty serious about saving Jane, Asgard, his father, the world, etc. Now that Hela is trying to take over Asgard -- his beloved home -- suddenly he's a barrel of laughs?  Not sure I buy it.

I had looked toward 'Ragnarok' as heavy metal, with significant emotional stakes, not a superhero version of 'Laugh In'.  That said, if the humor works (which it didn't for Thor in 'Age of Ultron' -- seemed out of character to me), I'm always happy to laugh, too.

Jury's out for now.  Neither the Thor nor the JLA trailers have seemed very funny to me, to be honest.  I'm worried about tone and about characterization.

Dan

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Drummy said:

For what it's worth, I have an issue with 'funny Thor' because it breaks the overall mood/arc of the character in a way that feels too abrupt from what's come before.  Apart from a few lines that played funny on their own ('He's adopted?'), Thor's been pretty serious about saving Jane, Asgard, his father, the world, etc. Now that Hela is trying to take over Asgard -- his beloved home -- suddenly he's a barrel of laughs?  Not sure I buy it.

I had looked toward 'Ragnarok' as heavy metal, with significant emotional stakes, not a superhero version of 'Laugh In'.  That said, if the humor works (which it didn't for Thor in 'Age of Ultron' -- seemed out of character to me), I'm always happy to laugh, too.

Jury's out for now.  Neither the Thor nor the JLA trailers have seemed very funny to me, to be honest.  I'm worried about tone and about characterization.

Dan

The comedy in Thor works for me because Marvel has included such elements in many of its movies, starting in the beginning with Iron Man, between The Hulk and Thor & Loki in the Avengers, and others in general like Ant-Man and the Guardians movies (I & II). It doesn't quite work for me in what I've seen of the trailers because I don't remember many (any?) such elements in the previous DC pictures not named Wonder Woman  -- i.e. MoS, BvS. It feels tacked on and not an organic part of the story, but I'm willing to keep an open mind and maybe it works better in the context of the overall movie.

With regard to Jason Momoa's portrayal of Aquaman -- I've never been much of a DC reader other than the occasional Batman story arc, but is this how he is in the comics? It looks like they're setting him up to be DC's version of Wolverine -- loner type, kicks and takes names, all action, crazy, laughs in the face of danger, takes on all comers, fearless/reckless, not a team player, etc. Not exactly what I pictured the heir of Atlantis to be. (shrug)

5 minutes ago, Antpark said:
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, Drummy said:

Dan

The comedy in Thor works for me because Marvel has included such elements in many of its movies, starting in the beginning with Iron Man, between The Hulk and Thor & Loki in the Avengers, and others in general like Ant-Man and the Guardians movies (I & II). It doesn't quite work for me in what I've seen of the trailers because I don't remember many (any?) such elements in the previous DC pictures not named Wonder Woman  -- i.e. MoS, BvS. It feels tacked on and not an organic part of the story, but I'm willing to keep an open mind and maybe it works better in the context of the overall movie.

With regard to Jason Momoa's portrayal of Aquaman -- I've never been much of a DC reader other than the occasional Batman story arc, but is this how he is in the comics? It looks like they're setting him up to be DC's version of Wolverine -- loner type, kicks and takes names, all action, crazy, laughs in the face of danger, takes on all comers, fearless/reckless, not a team player, etc. Not exactly what I pictured the heir of Atlantis to be. (shrug)

he's I guess a little bit more like this in modern comics.

BUT on the other hand, Aquaman has been pretty much a running joke in DC for a LONG LONG time, and his sales probably don't compare well with the other DC Justice league characters and haven't for a long long long time.  So I don't think they lose a ton by trying to remake him into something cooler (and with a splash of diversity!).  Like I don't look at sales numbers too often, but if I had to guess, I'd say the following titles (and I dont' even know the name of rebirth titles) sell better than Aquaman:

3 batman titles, 2 superman titles, 2 GL titles, WW, JL, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Harley, Suicide Squad, Flash, some 2 other Batman Titles I don't know about, some other title Harley/Sirens are involved in, Superman/WW if that's still going.

10 minutes ago, revat said:

BUT on the other hand, Aquaman has been pretty much a running joke in DC for a LONG LONG time, and his sales probably don't compare well with the other DC Justice league characters and haven't for a long long long time.  So I don't think they lose a ton by trying to remake him into something cooler (and with a splash of diversity!).  Like I don't look at sales numbers too often, but if I had to guess, I'd say the following titles (and I dont' even know the name of rebirth titles) sell better than Aquaman:

3 batman titles, 2 superman titles, 2 GL titles, WW, JL, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Harley, Suicide Squad, Flash, some 2 other Batman Titles I don't know about, some other title Harley/Sirens are involved in, Superman/WW if that's still going.

I bet that is why when Jason Momoa went to see Zack Snyder, he assumed Lobo was the character they were going to discuss. Not Aquaman.

Jason Momoa Talks Justice League, Aquaman & Lobo

Jason Momoa also talks about his reaction to first hearing he would be playing Aquaman and mentions Lobo.

"There's a lot of things that went through my head when I saw Aquaman," Momoa offered. "There's a lot of things that went through my mind. Because I was thinking like, 'Lobo. I'm going to play some kind of bad guy.' I was like, 'Who am I gonna play?' And yeah, he said Aquaman, and I was like, 'Come again? Pardon me!' And then he explained why, "And I was like, buddy, I got your back.'

As far as the JL trailers containing comedy, it seems to blend in just fine. This is a brighter situation where Batman and Wonder Woman are trying to honor the sacrifice of Superman. They are wanting to form a team. Last thing they want is a depressing atmosphere that drives away members of the JL. And with these different personalities, that lighter atmosphere is going to come out even more. Especially with Barry Allen as an unseasoned superhero, and Aquaman with a care-free approach.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
24 minutes ago, revat said:

I bet that is why when Jason Momoa went to see Zack Snyder, he assumed Lobo was the character they were going to discuss. Not Aquaman.

Jason Momoa Talks Justice League, Aquaman & Lobo

Jason Momoa also talks about his reaction to first hearing he would be playing Aquaman and mentions Lobo.

"There's a lot of things that went through my head when I saw Aquaman," Momoa offered. "There's a lot of things that went through my mind. Because I was thinking like, 'Lobo. I'm going to play some kind of bad guy.' I was like, 'Who am I gonna play?' And yeah, he said Aquaman, and I was like, 'Come again? Pardon me!' And then he explained why, "And I was like, buddy, I got your back.'

As far as the JL trailers containing comedy, it seems to blend in just fine. This is a brighter situation where Batman and Wonder Woman are trying to honor the sacrifice of Superman. They are wanting to form a team. Last thing they want is a depressing atmosphere that drives away members of the JL. And with these different personalities, that lighter atmosphere is going to come out even more. Especially with Barry Allen as an unseasoned superhero, and Aquaman with a care-free approach.

I'm with you in that I'm not worried about the comedy.  I'm also not worried about any of the characters on their own (although so far I'm not a fan of the Flash's 'armor'), they seem to be 'fine'.  I'm worried that they can't put the pieces together in a cohesive story that has not just cool visuals (which BvS has), but a tightly edited movie with consistent pacing that wows AND entertains (BvS failed here mostly), preferably with a plot that makes some sense, especially if the movie is long.

It is interesting to have him (Cyborg) in the JL, but since he appears to have been healed by a Mother Box it fits with the storyline.

I can't wait for them to show Darkseid. If I were WB, I would actually have some footage of him in action and destroying some poor planet as a warning of "Darkseid is coming" instead of a cameo in the end sequence like Marvel has already done in the Avengers films with Thanos. 

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

It is interesting to have him (Cyborg) in the JL, but since he appears to have been healed by a Mother Box it fits with the storyline.

I can't wait for them to show Darkseid. If I were WB, I would actually have some footage of him in action and destroying some poor planet as a warning of "Darkseid is coming" instead of a cameo in the end sequence like Marvel has already done in the Avengers films with Thanos. 

On 10/16/2017 at 6:20 PM, revat said:

I'm with you in that I'm not worried about the comedy.  I'm also not worried about any of the characters on their own (although so far I'm not a fan of the Flash's 'armor'), they seem to be 'fine'.  I'm worried that they can't put the pieces together in a cohesive story that has not just cool visuals (which BvS has), but a tightly edited movie with consistent pacing that wows AND entertains (BvS failed here mostly), preferably with a plot that makes some sense, especially if the movie is long.

The thing is don't set your expectations so high.

This scenario is what most likely will happen. It will debut at number one at the box office,than maybe win week two,but fade as a month later people will be talking about the new Star Wars movie. 

Just hope it gets decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and does good box office for a sequel.

Anybody thinking this will be another Wonder Woman is setting their expectations far too high.

32 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This scenario is what most likely will happen. It will debut at number one at the box office,than maybe win week two,but fade as a month later people will be talking about the new Star Wars movie. 

Just hope it gets decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and does good box office for a sequel.

Anybody thinking this will be another Wonder Woman is setting their expectations far too high.

I think their fate is locked in.  Unless its the bomb of all bombs (which I doubt), you'll get at least one sequel.  They're already doing Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg (maybe to a lesser extent?), and WW2, no reason not to cash it all in for JL2.  At WORST they just get a whole new team to work on it (writer/director). 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am not setting my box office expectations high for it - Star Wars will definitely hit its box office. That being said, I am looking forward to it as a comic fanboy. :headbang:

FWIW, I was not a huge fan of SW TFA. Gangly Ren was a weak villain - every time he came on the screen I thought of Lord Dark Helmet from Spaceballs, not Vader. So much for instilling fear in the Rebels. lol The story line was basically just an updated rehash of A New Hope. You can already see it trending that way for the Empire Strikes Back.....err The Last Jedi this December (easy pickings - new water planet = swampy Dagobah; Luke = Yoda).

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I am not setting my box office expectations high for it - Star Wars will definitely hit its box office. That being said, I am looking forward to it as a comic fanboy. :headbang:

FWIW, I was not a huge fan of SW TFA. Gangly Ren was a weak villain - every time he came on the screen I thought of Lord Dark Helmet from Spaceballs, not Vader. So much for instilling fear in the Rebels. lol The story line was basically just an updated rehash of A New Hope. You can already see it trending that way for the Empire Strikes Back.....err The Last Jedi this December (easy pickings - new water planet = swampy Dagobah; Luke = Yoda).

I liked TFA enough, but like Rogue One a lot more.  I like the idea of 'universe' movies more, like what Fox is doing with Logan, Deadpool, New Mutants.  Hopefully Star Wars will be able to expand their universe into different 'genre' movies that happen to take place in star wars universe.