• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
4 4

2,041 posts in this topic

I don't know why they are putting so much pressure the Justice League?

I mean Wonder Woman couldn't do 1 billion ? What makes these analysts make such high predictions?

Justice League' aims to break through $1 billion after a rocky year for DC movies

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I don't know why they are putting so much pressure the Justice League?

I mean Wonder Woman couldn't do 1 billion ? What makes these analysts make such high predictions?

Justice League' aims to break through $1 billion after a rocky year for DC movies

It's just reporters generating yet another story. They probably visited some of the comic forums, and saw folks noting everything needs to hit $1 billion or they're a bust.

Kind of like when Deadpool came out and generated 13x budget. Then some folks assumed any successful superhero film that year had this as a goal.

I think they are banking on a bigger international draw as a result of having the big (Superman and Batman) in another movie.

big movies like this do wonderful in the international market where the moviegoers aren’t easily influenced by a vegetable-meter

8 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think they are banking on a bigger international draw as a result of having the big (Superman and Batman) in another movie.

big movies like this do wonderful in the international market where the moviegoers aren’t easily influenced by a vegetable-meter

if BvS could do $875MM, it's easy to see how a better received JL could do $1BB

13 hours ago, paperheart said:

if BvS could do $875MM, it's easy to see how a better received JL could do $1BB

Nah -- I give it maybe a 10% chance that this hits $1 bn.

No comic book movie this year has come close -- not Guardians 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, or Wonder Woman.

Thor:Ragnarok won't either, and that's rivaling Wonder Woman with 93% positive among the critics.

Warner Bros. best be happy with their $300 million spend netting $875 million or so. 

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nah -- I give it maybe a 10% chance that this hits $1 bn.

No comic book movie this year has come close -- not Guardians 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, or Wonder Woman.

Thor:Ragnarok won't either, and that's rivaling Wonder Woman with 93% positive among the critics.

Warner Bros. best be happy with their $300 million spend netting $875 million or so. 

Think WB is actually saying to the media, please do not saddle us with that it is 1 billion or bust.  Let us hit the 800 to 900 million which is very likely so we can say it performed as expected, and we are happy.  Not be fielding all of the it did not hit expectations what went wrong questions.

Even the early screenings tonight smack of desperation -- get the eager fans out to spread positive word-of-mouth a full 48 hours before the critics' reviews begin weighing it down.

Note: Not that I didn't try to see it tonight -- I'm on the wait list but doubt I'll get in.

Also - basic theater economics are running against it. Fewer people are going to the movies this year as streaming options reach their apex.

Proof?

With just 7 weeks left in the year, the number of tickets sold in 2017 is running 30% (roughly 300,000) behind the total sold in 2016 and 2015. That's a lot of ground to be made up by Justice League, Star Wars, and every piece of Oscar bait that will be released between now & Jan.1.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Just for clarification...$300 million was on the movie only.  With marketing/promotional expenses the total is estimated close to $650 - $700 million in total cost.

(if I recall correctly)

29 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Just for clarification...$300 million was on the movie only.  With marketing/promotional expenses the total is estimated close to $650 - $700 million in total cost.

(if I recall correctly)

Really tough to throw all the marketing / promotion cost into the mix unless you can also throw in the mechanizing and license fees they will collect from all the stuff like lunch boxes or happy meals that will surely come with a movie like this.  I'd think $750 - $800 million would make a good profit if it just comes from ticket sales. 

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Really tough to throw all the marketing / promotion cost into the mix unless you can also throw in the mechanizing and license fees they will collect from all the stuff like lunch boxes or happy meals that will surely come with a movie like this.  I'd think $750 - $800 million would make a good profit if it just comes from ticket sales. 

True.

The numbers that movies are producing these days are just staggering.

There seems to be an awful lot of hate and negative speculation on this movie ..... which is baffling to me ..... maybe I am alone in just waiting to see the movie before bashing or praising it.  I get commenting on a trailer etc. - but a trailer does not make a movie.  Referencing BvS is also weird, as DC just hit a home run with Wonder Woman, why not just go into it with an open mind???

3 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

There seems to be an awful lot of hate and negative speculation on this movie ..... which is baffling to me ..... maybe I am alone in just waiting to see the movie before bashing or praising it.  I get commenting on a trailer etc. - but a trailer does not make a movie.  Referencing BvS is also weird, as DC just hit a home run with Wonder Woman, why not just go into it with an open mind???

Exactly (thumbsu